Baggage and transportation questions.

tammykva123

21 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I like doing this too.  Going into a supermarket or pharmacy can be a terrific cultural experience, although sometimes you won't find any brands that are familiar.  

I had trouble with this too, for a while.  In Canada, debit cards have been in heavy use for years; the States has now caught up.  Previously I wouldn't have used it, or a credit card, for a small purchase here in Florida or at home; now I use a credit card for them all, unless it's a dollar or two.  That way I can track what I'm frittering away my money on.

But I like to have small amounts of local currency for trips.  Bathrooms, small craft purchases, things like that.

We have had debit cards in Switzerland for over 30 years, probably more...1985 or earlier.   I use mine at the supermarket, pharmacie etc.  Never tried it in a taxi.  We had chip and PIN years before the US.  

Just now, Hambagahle said:

We have had debit cards in Switzerland for over 30 years, probably more...1985 or earlier.   I use mine at the supermarket, pharmacie etc.  Never tried it in a taxi.  We had chip and PIN years before the US.  

So did we in Canada (chip and pin.) We had debit cards in the 70's, but  mostly just for withdrawals at ATM's. They weren't commonly-used for payments until some time like the early 90's. 

Most cards here in the States are still either chip OR pin.  Our US credit card is "chip and sign", and our US debit card is no-chip and PIN.  Go figure.

In Europe the ATM withdrawal cards started in the 70’s.  Early70’s.  I have 2 US CCs.  Both have chip and PIN.  BUT not too many shops in the US (or in the Miami area where we go) have the machine to enter the PIN.  US is really far behind on technology.