Safety/drugs nassau straw market

anadi

We are going to Nassau in April. Our friends went last August. They said that their tenage son (who was with them, not alone) was approached a few times to buy drugs in the straw market. Has anyone had this experience? We will be traveling with 3 teenage girls and 2 boys ages 12 and 9. I know the girls will want to shop, if this is not the safest place to take them, is there an alternative shopping area that is any better? Thanks.

We are going to Nassau in April. Our friends went last August. They said that their tenage son (who was with them, not alone) was approached a few times to buy drugs in the straw market. Has anyone had this experience? We will be traveling with 3 teenage girls and 2 boys ages 12 and 9. I know the girls will want to shop, if this is not the safest place to take them, is there an alternative shopping area that is any better? Thanks.

Your kids should not be shopping in any foreign port without you, so keep and eye on them and enjoy the straw market. They may be approached, maybe not. Just tell them to say "no thanks". The area is bustling with tourist and locals alike, and security officers are in full force.

You'll likely be approached for hair braiding, native jewelry, t-shirts, walking turtles and flutes. Be polite and say no thanks and keep walking.

The area is no more dangerous than sending your kids to the local mall.

Thanks Scubagirl. Don't worry, they won't be out of our sight while off of the ship. Is the straw market really crowded and hard to navigate? Once you get in there, are there convenient exits or do you have to go from one end to the other to get out? How about bathrooms? We will also be travelling with my parents and my MIL. My dad is getting up there in age, and has difficulty walking long distances. They all seem to need a bathroom at any given random moment.....

Thanks Scubagirl. Don't worry, they won't be out of our sight while off of the ship. Is the straw market really crowded and hard to navigate? Once you get in there, are there convenient exits or do you have to go from one end to the other to get out? How about bathrooms? We will also be travelling with my parents and my MIL. My dad is getting up there in age, and has difficulty walking long distances. They all seem to need a bathroom at any given random moment.....

The straw market is crowded, but there are cross aisle every few booths or so, so you can exit or just browse in any direction. Aisles are very close, packed to the gills with merchandise and vendors. Interesting at first, but most don't go thru the whole thing.

As for bathrooms, there are a couple public bathrooms on the side of the markets, but I usually just barge into Senor Frogs and pretend I know where I'm heading. There's also a little Cuban Cafe nearby that I'm sure you can use.

Thanks, Scubagirrl, for your advice on Atlantis. We took a cab there and enjoyed walking around. Then I went to the Straw Market and found a really nice handbag hidden among the souvenir bags. The Market was a little crowded but I felt quite comfortable there.

• 4 weeks later...

LOL, well, I tell you, DON'T go into the little bar just around the corner from the straw market to use the restroom. Hubby tried that and some guy thought he was in there to buy/sell drugs - came after him in the bathroom. He came back with eyes as big as silver dollars. Yikes!

• 4 weeks later...

It reminded me a little of Jamaica in that respect. They will try to sell you whatever they think you want. Keep him and your purse close. You will see lots of small kids to elderly and everything in between. The aisles up and down are crowded and narrow, stocked full of lots to see and sell. I saw a lady accidently knock over some breakables with her purse and it wasn't pretty, but what can you do when it's that crowded. Definitely use the ship for bathroom before you go. Carlos and Charlies is near by, also a few other restaurants within walking distance for bathrooms. Other than that..... Forget the excursions too...we had more fun walking down the streets shopping. Tons of stores from flea market type to Prada.

Archived