Question for those familiar with fishing in Alaska

the cruise is on

I don't know what they do in Ketchikan, but here in Juneau, I try to put singles on with another group. The problem is that you might not have a charter booked until later while we wait for someone to book that date. Some of my clients choose to go ahead and book the trip and hope someone else wants the same trip - that way they are guaranteed a trip. If nobody books with the single, however, they are stuck with a 3 person min. rate. It doesn't happen very often, but it did once last summer - but the person didn't regret having a 42 ft. yacht, captain, and crew all to himself.

You really ought to talk your wife into going too. A fishing trip is ALWAYS a sightseeing trip too. In Juneau, you see whales, eagles, sea lions, seals, and the scenery is incredible! There is nothing like seeing the Mendenhall Glacier off of the stern as you are leaving Auke Bay. I have lived here for 30+ years and I still look back and stare at it as we are leaving. You should see it now with the snow on the mountains. On a sunny day, I don't think there is a more beautiful place on Earth than Juneau and S.E. Alaska!

Great Question Mdsulli,

My husband also wants to go fishing in Ketchikan and he will definitely be going alone!!!!!

So as I understand the answer, in Juneau they take the reservation, but if other singles do not come along the fee to go out is charged for the # of people the boat would normally take out - think I've got it.

It we have any Ketchikan fisherman, it would be great to hear from them.

My son caught a huge King Salmon in Ketchikan and we brought it back to the ship (Radiance) and gave it to the maitre'd who made sure they cleaned and cooked it for us for dinner that night! There was so much fish, we told them to share it with the staff!

Yogi Dog, Do you remember what charter your son went out with?

Also, I noticed you cruised on the Pride of America - I know this is the Alaska board, but I wonder if you enjoyed that ship! We had originally planned to go to Hawaii this year, but when daughter-in-law got pregnant, we put it off until we can take new grandchild with us!!

Sorry but we don't remember! We did it through the ship and there were only four people fishing on the boat.

We LOVED cruising Hawaii - very port intensive so you don't spend a ton of time on the ship. It is like having a luxury water taxi take you to each port. The ship was 'ok' for us. No real bells and whistles but I can't say there was anything really bad about it. Maybe it is just because I am a big fan of RCCL. We did upgrade to a suite though and I think if we didn't have that extra space (family of 4), we might not have enjoyed it as much.

Archived