Question for those familiar with fishing in Alaska

the cruise is on

My husband and I will be begin our Alaska cruise vacation in late May 2006. He is an avid fisherman and is considering booking a fishing expedition at one of our ports of call - Ketchikan, Skagway, Anchorage, and Juneau. He is somewhat concerned that he will pay a considerable sum for the excursion and then find out that there is a tight limit on the fish you are allowed to catch and keep.

Would those of you who have previously fished in Alaska provide some insight on the limits, and if you are so inclined, some advice on which place is best for fishing. Also, if you have advice on what charters to book that would help also.

Please note - he will be going on this trip by himself. I'm not a fisherwoman!

Day 7 Tuesday June 26, 2001

Sitka, Alaska (7:00 AM – 5:00 PM)

Sitka was our favorite port. There was a lot of history in Sitka; there was a lot of Russian history in Sitka. The town was picturesque, it was very clean and it was not crowded. We didn’t get the “touristy” feeling when we hit town. In all the other ports there were many “touristy” shops and they all appeared to sell the same things. We were the only ship in Sitka this day; I suppose we were just lucky. Also, there were no docks, well docks big enough for a 915 ft ship. So we had to use tenders (the life boats) to get back and forth to the ship.

This was a big day for me. This was the day I’d go salmon fishing. It was a beautiful day, the temperature in the high 50s, a few white puffy clouds and a lot of blue sky. I put in for a 5:30 AM wake up call (hey, but I’m on vacation!). Because we had to use tenders to get to shore, only those with early morning excursions could go on the first few tenders. There were 36 people signed up for salmon fishing. This made it easy as it was four guests per fishing boat.

I ended up on a boat with two guys from Alabama who knew each other and a Scotsman, named Alister who lived in Hong Kong. Our captain was Steve and the deck hand was his son, Cody. As we made our way out to where Steve thought the fish were, about eight miles out, Cody came around with the one-day fishing license and one day king salmon stamps. Ten bucks for the license and ten bucks for the stamp.

There were four poles on the boat. It seemed fairly obvious, four guys, four poles, not exactly. Steve (our skipper) came around with a deck of cards and said, “pick one”. As I picked a card, I asked why. Steve said, “to see who gets first fish”. I drew a nine and that put me in second place. Alister drew the highest and therefore he would get the first fish. The way it worked was all four poles were in the water and as soon as one got a hit, they stopped the boat and reeled in the other three poles.

It was not long before we got the first hit. Alister grabbed the pole, the boat stopped, the other lines came out of the water and the fight began. It took Alister about 20 minutes or so to land his king salmon. It was 25 lbs.

Now it was my turn. The wait seemed much longer than it actually was, but finally we got the second hit. I was ready. The fight started. This fish was big, by far the biggest fish I’d ever tangled with. I reeled him in for a while then let him run, reeled in, let him run. After about 10-12 minutes, my left forearm was really getting tired. The fish was still out about 50 ft or so (there was a gauge on the rod). About another 10 minutes went by before I got the fish up to the side of the boat. Steve netted him (it was a him). It was a 30 lb king salmon.

This was a great experience.

The other guys caught their fish and we still had time so our skipper gave us a choice. We could continue to fish, but any king salmon we caught, we’d have to throw back (there was a one king salmon per day limit) or we could go whale watching. We all agreed on whale watching. On our way out the skipper told us of stories of other groups who decided to fish (catch & release) after their limit was caught. One guy landed a 50 lb king salmon, but they had it throw it back. It was a heartbreak. While looking for whales we saw Puffins, Muirs and other birds. They were plentiful. We saw quite a few whales, albeit at a distance. It was a fun, enjoyable outing.

On the way back, the cleaning of the fish began. There were two females and two males. While cleaning one of the females, we noticed large sacks filled with eggs, thousands of them. Steve told us a story of some other guests who really didn’t want the rest of the fish. They just took the eggs into the galley, put on a little soy sauce, and ate them. For us, we said ‘no thanks’ and all the parts and pieces went back to the ocean.

Back at the dock a decision had to be made regarding the fish. The choices were to take it back on the ship (the chef would prepare it for your table), have it smoked or have it cut into 1-2 lb pieces and flash frozen (-40 degrees). If you had it smoked or frozen, they could ship it back home for you, as long as you lived in the U.S. I suppose it was customs issue otherwise.

As we got into the tender to get back to the ship, all eyes were on Alister. He lived in Hong Kong and could not have his salmon shipped back. His salmon was 25 lbs., wrapped in a clear plastic bag and he was carrying it back to the Rhapsody. We were invited to stop by his table for a taste of his fish.

June 2005

About 25-30 of us had signed up for this excursion. The woman who met us at the pier to check us in told us that the fishing had been hit and miss over the last few weeks. That did not sound encouraging, but then again, that’s fishing. While she was leading us down to the fishing boats she got a message on her walkie-talkie. Right after that she said, “oh bleep! Orcas in the channel”. Now if we were on a whale watching excursion, this would have been good news. However, orcas eat salmon and salmon know that. Therefore salmon get out of there. Once again, this was not good news for salmon fishing.

We caught nothing, didn’t even get a bite. Between the lack of recent rain, bright sunny day, the tide going out, and orcas in the channel, well these were not good for fishing. However, the scenery was beautiful. We were never far from shore. In my estimation, we were typically close enough to throw a baseball to shore. It was deep there though. One picture I took of the monitor showed the depth at 194 feet.

Basically it went straight down. I saw one guy on another boat catch a king salmon. But that was it. The two guys that we shared the boat with were scheduled to go fishing in Juneau and Prince Rupert. I did run into these guys towards the end of the cruise and they told they caught nothing on those excursions. Oh well, that’s why they call it fishing instead of catching. J

We trolled up and down for a few hours. There were probably 10-15 other boats like ours, each having 4-6 people on them. Even the commercial vessel in the area did not look like they had much action

===============================================

Another suggestion is in Ketchican get off the ship walk about 4 blocks there is a bridge and a floating dock, right there one of the shops are selling fishing poles..10 dollars and hour . plus you need a license.10 dollars .. and fish to your hearts content, We were there twice in August and caught what we wanted.. Only thing if you snag a fish ,you have to toss it back

You should look at fishing in Ketchikan. We are the salmon capitol of the world and I think some of the best halibut fishing in the state. Talk to a charter here and see if it is what you want. True Alaskan charters does great work and there are tours you can get on your ship.

In Aug 2001 we went with Auke Bay in Juneau. The other people who were booked did not show up so my wife and I had the 42 foot boat to ourself. The first fish was caught on a lure that I brought that my father had used in the mid 1940s. It was a nice trip. Here is a link.

http://www.experiencealaska.com/details.htm

In Jun 2003 we fished with Ken from Northern Lights in Ketchican. He met us near the ship. It also was a nice trip. Three on the boat. The other guest got the first king about 20 lb. I got the next about 7 lb and my wife got a nice 30 lb king right before we had to quit. Close to eagles also.

Dont forget to factor in how much it costs to take care of the fish. $1.50 /lb plus FedEx. 30 lb King + 30 halibit would be about 30 lbs of meat for $45 + FedEx. Not sure how it would work with only one person signing up but I think that it would be no problem. In Anchorage there is some shore fishing but most are fly in trips. We got room service sandwitches the night before to take on the fishing trips.

I have gone salmon fishing in Ketchikan twice and would recommend this port as a good place to go fishing. There was no limit on what we could bring back. I had the Salmon sent to our home. It arrive a couple of weeks after we got home.

Keith

Juneau is an excellent place to fish for King Salmon especially in May and early June. Juneau has what is called a "Terminal Fishery Area" where the limit is often raised to 5 King Salmon per person instead of the one outside of this area. Last year, there was no limit to the size of King Salmon you could keep in this area too. The "Terminal Fishery Area" is only minutes away from the dock in Auke Bay and the fishing is excellent with a 30 + pound average per fish during the peak of the run.

I agree, Keith1010, that you can "bring back" as much fish that you want from Ketchikan (I suppose you could buy it), but the limit is still only 1 that you can catch unless they have a terminal area too, but again, there is still a limit.

Juneau is an excellent place to fish for King Salmon especially in May and early June. Juneau has what is called a "Terminal Fishery Area" where the limit is often raised to 5 King Salmon per person instead of the one outside of this area. Last year, there was no limit to the size of King Salmon you could keep in this area too. The "Terminal Fishery Area" is only minutes away from the dock in Auke Bay and the fishing is excellent with a 30 + pound average per fish during the peak of the run.

I agree, Keith1010, that you can "bring back" as much fish that you want from Ketchikan (I suppose you could buy it), but the limit is still only 1 that you can catch unless they have a terminal area too, but again, there is still a limit.

Speaking of Juneau fishing...how is it in August. My wife and I will be taking RADIANCE OF THE SEAS and arriving in Juneau on 7 Aug <our 30th Anniversary>. I plan on doing some fishing that day. What can I expect <other than a great time>?

Speaking of Juneau fishing...how is it in August. My wife and I will be taking RADIANCE OF THE SEAS and arriving in Juneau on 7 Aug <our 30th Anniversary>. I plan on doing some fishing that day. What can I expect <other than a great time>?

All of S.E. Alaska is excellent fishing in August. We have the Silvers running at peak and the younger, feeder King Salmon are following the bait fish in from the ocean. Juneau has great areas for salmon fishing and halibut fishing.

In 2005, the halibut limit was 2, the limit on Silvers was 6, and the limit on King Salmon was 1 at that time of year - I don't expect that to change in 2006, but you never know. There is no size limit to sport caught fish except King Salmon have a 28" minimum size. I release any halibut under 32", but it is not required by law - just my own limit which also happens to be the commercial size limit on halibut.

All of S.E. Alaska is excellent fishing in August. We have the Silvers running at peak and the younger, feeder King Salmon are following the bait fish in from the ocean. Juneau has great areas for salmon fishing and halibut fishing.

In 2005, the halibut limit was 2, the limit on Silvers was 6, and the limit on King Salmon was 1 at that time of year - I don't expect that to change in 2006, but you never know. There is no size limit to sport caught fish except King Salmon have a 28" minimum size. I release any halibut under 32", but it is not required by law - just my own limit which also happens to be the commercial size limit on halibut.

I am "assumming" <theres that word...lol> that you operate your own boat. Are you doing the fishing excursions offered by RCCL on it shore excursion pages or you book independantly?

I am "assumming" <theres that word...lol> that you operate your own boat. Are you doing the fishing excursions offered by RCCL on it shore excursion pages or you book independantly?

I am an independant charter boat operator here in Juneau. I will follow the rules of this board and not self promote. I am here to give advice about fishing in Juneau and S.E. Alaska. You can find most of the Juneau independant charter boat operators on the Juneau Convention and Visitors Bureau web page at: http://www.traveljuneau.com

I am an independant charter boat operator here in Juneau. I will follow the rules of this board and not self promote. I am here to give advice about fishing in Juneau and S.E. Alaska. You can find most of the Juneau independant charter boat operators on the Juneau Convention and Visitors Bureau web page at: http://www.traveljuneau.com

I do not think anyone here would accuse you of self promotion simply for answering my questions. Your information is straight forward honest and to the point.

Have you ever been "used" by the lines for fishing trips? I am curious as to how the different lines "pick" boats for their trips....

Thanks

Shell

I do not think anyone here would accuse you of self promotion simply for answering my questions. Your information is straight forward honest and to the point.

Have you ever been "used" by the lines for fishing trips? I am curious as to how the different lines "pick" boats for their trips....

Thanks

Shell

Shell, No, I do not work directly with the cruise lines. People call me that shop around and want an experienced captain that they can meet by phone and by e-mail before they get to Juneau. They also notice that most independant charters are less expensive then the cruise line rates.

The cruise lines pick the boats they use when a broker makes the lowest bid for providing fishing charters. The broker then hires boats and pays the captain a per person rate from the fees collected from the cruise lines.

Shell, No, I do not work directly with the cruise lines. People call me that shop around and want an experienced captain that they can meet by phone and by e-mail before they get to Juneau. They also notice that most independant charters are less expensive then the cruise line rates.

The cruise lines pick the boats they use when a broker makes the lowest bid for providing fishing charters. The broker then hires boats and pays the captain a per person rate from the fees collected from the cruise lines.

Thanks...This Retired Squid was curious as to how they chose them.

Guest Crazeecat5

I was wondering.....can I go on a fishing excursion as an observer and not fish? My DH would love to go fishing and I would love to watch him. Is this possible? If so, would the price be reduced?

Thanks.

Yes, you can go on the excursion just to observe. The times we have gone though, each person was charged the same amount, whether or not they fished and of course whether or not they carried any fish. The captain's are wonderful on these excursions and even if you have never fished if you wold like to try it, they are great with the passenger's. They will put the bait on the line and help you when you snag a fish. Either way, it's a nice quiet time to be out in the boat regardless of whether you fish.

Keith

Thanks, Keith, I will look into it.

I charge all passengers the same rate if they fish on not. Every fishing trip is also a sightseeing trip and you will not be dissapointed. If you go along, you should buy a fishing license and try it. It is a lot of fun and we specialize in teaching people how to fish - that is our job. Plus - you never know when you'll get the big one! :)

I charge all passengers the same rate if they fish on not. Every fishing trip is also a sightseeing trip and you will not be dissapointed. If you go along, you should buy a fishing license and try it. It is a lot of fun and we specialize in teaching people how to fish - that is our job. Plus - you never know when you'll get the big one! :)

Gus...IF I wanted to tag up with you, how would I find you? No...I am not asking for you to "give yourself a plug" but simply to contact you.

Fishing is great up here in Alaska. Book independently though. Just a joke for the tourist Capt. Gus but KTown has so much better fishing the Juneau.:) :) :) . Just talking a little trash between city rivals. Go Kayhi Kings!!!

Fish are not for farming:mad: Eat wild Alaskan salmon.:)

Fishing is great up here in Alaska. Book independently though. Just a joke for the tourist Capt. Gus but KTown has so much better fishing the Juneau. Just talking a little trash between city rivals. Go Kayhi Kings!!!

Fish are not for farming:mad: Eat wild Alaskan salmon.

Right on! Crimson Bears Rock, but actually I am a Hoonah Brave! How about that. I learned to fish with the best! All of S.E. Alaska rules for fishing. Ketchikan has its moments and so does Juneau. It really depends on your guide and the size of his rod! :D

Archived