First Cruise since 2004 - Many (well, six) questions about the Oosterdam

ore-ee-gun

Hi all, we haven't cruised since July 2004 - it was our first, and it was everything I had hoped for, and much more. W'ere finally going again on the March 4 sailing aboard the Oosterdam - 48 days to go!!! Since it's been nearly two years since our last cruise, I'm trying to remember the things I wish I'd known for the first cruise, and I know you guys can probably help me out....

If we arrive onboard before the cabins are ready, do they still have a place to leave your carry-on bags while you eat/explore? Also, do they still have crewmembers available to lead you to your cabin?

When are formal nights for this cruise, and does HAL still have Dutch night? We'd like to eat at the Pinnacle one evening, but I don't want to miss either of these special dinners....

I've looked and looked, but cannot find a dinner menu for Oosterdam, other than for the Alaska itinerary from 2 years ago - does anybody have one for the Mexican Riviera?

We're waitlisted for main upper dining, but I've also read that HAL has implemented changes aboard the Oosterdam that do away with the later seatings and passengers just "show up" between certain hours. Which is it?

Our cabin is a category VE (5120) - I know these are directly above the lifeboats - do they interfere with the view? It looks like the ones on our side are the tenders.

Thanks so much - CC was a lifesaver last time, and I really appreaciate whatever guidance you can give... Marie :)

some answers from portland

If we arrive onboard before the cabins are ready, do they still have a place to leave your carry-on bags while you eat/explore? Also, do they still have crewmembers available to lead you to your cabin?

i believe storage is available -- if your cabin is not yet available then there is no crewmember to lead you to your cabin --i do believe you can go back to the entryway and someone will lead you to your cabin after they are all ready

When are formal nights for this cruise, and does HAL still have Dutch night? We'd like to eat at the Pinnacle one evening, but I don't want to miss either of these special dinners....

think dutch nite has been discontinued--formal nites are usually on sea days but not the last nite of the cruise

I've looked and looked, but cannot find a dinner menu for Oosterdam, other than for the Alaska itinerary from 2 years ago - does anybody have one for the Mexican Riviera?

cant help you there but someone on this board will most llikely have one

We're waitlisted for main upper dining, but I've also read that HAL has implemented changes aboard the Oosterdam that do away with the later seatings and passengers just "show up" between certain hours. Which is it?

they are currently running an open type seating with an early and a late seating and you just show up at your assigned time ---i hope they go back to traditional seating by the time i am on this cruise

Our cabin is a category VE (5120) - I know these are directly above the lifeboats - do they interfere with the view? It looks like the ones on our side are the tenders.

they might interfere with your view if you are looking down but no problem if you are looking out to sea

if i have misspoken on any of these answers i will be corrected soon enough

Hi all, we haven't cruised since July 2004 - it was our first, and it was everything I had hoped for, and much more. W'ere finally going again on the March 4 sailing aboard the Oosterdam - 48 days to go!!! Since it's been nearly two years since our last cruise, I'm trying to remember the things I wish I'd known for the first cruise, and I know you guys can probably help me out....

Thanks so much - CC was a lifesaver last time, and I really appreaciate whatever guidance you can give... Marie :)

:)

Quote: ore-ee-gun

We just returned from a cruise on the Oosterdam, over New Years Eve.

* The people we travelled with wanted to eat early so the arrival time for

the dining room was between 5:30 and 6:00PM. It went smoothly. It also

avoided lines near the dining room waiting for the door to open.

* There is no "Dutch Night" but they do have a Dutch tea most days and a

big chocolate extravaganza one evening.

* The menu was varied and the food very good. There was always Salman

and Steak available. The seafood/fish ranged from Sole, Grouper, Halibut,

lobster, King crab, shrimp, etc. The meats went from steak,venison, pork and

lamb to meatloaf and pot roast. There was always a pasta and vegitarian

selection. The soups were quite good as were the salads. Desserts were

rich and beautifully presented with quite a selection. The service as usual

was excellent. Enjoy your cruise you should be able to find something to eat!

Linda/Jimed

Pretty much your questions have been answered but here's a bit more info. The two formal nights are Sunday and Thursday. They do have one night that has a few Dutch items and that was on Wednesday.

As for the Dining it really is not open seating, you can read revneal's comment in regard to what they are doing. They will assign you a table.

Here is what revneal said.

My dear dear friends ... what more can one say than "wow." This been an EXCELLENT cruise ... and I've still got PV and 2 sea days to go! I love these January jaunts, and the Oosterdam is a lovely ship to take them on and THIS is a fantastic itinerary.

There is only one problem with the 7-day itineraries ... one doesn't have a great deal of time to post to the board. :( On longer cruises that is a simple prospect, but on these 7-day trips one is just too busy having fun! :)

The weather has been PERFECT. Cabo was spectacular, and so was Mazatlan! PV is proving to be foggy this morning, but they're saying it will burn off come afternoon. I hope so, because I go ashore for a Highlights of PV tour.

I have pictures from ports, but I've not taken any pictures around the ship. My plan is to strike out one evening with my video camera and do a video essay on the ship. :) If there are any photos anyone would like me to take, I'll be happy to do that. Please e-mail me with the request no later than Thursday afternoon (about 5 pm Pacific).

Service: EXCELLENT. My cabin steward is fantastic, so are my table waiters and the area supervisor.

Food: EXCELLENT. In the main Dining Room Mostly the same kind of dishes we've come to know over the past few years. I recognized more than one dish as the same from the Westerdam in November of 2005, but in my opinion they were better prepared on the Oosterdam. Lido food has been top-notch, as always. I've had breakfast in the Lido every day, lunch once in the main Dining Room, and all but one dinner in the Main Dining Room too. The ship's Hotel Manager took me to dinner in the Pinnacle and we had a 2 and a half hour conversation about the past and the future of HAL, including the Leisure Dining Service. When I get home I'll have the text of the letters concerning the Service scanned in and ready to post on the board. But, for now, suffice it to say that some of what was tried in the earlier tests (late 2005) has been dropped. Here is how it works now.

EVERYONE HAS AN ASSIGNED TABLE.

I'm at Table 222. My table mates are also assigned to this table.

Couples that want their own table are assigned to a table for two. No fears there about not getting it ... if you got in the past, you'll get it under the new schedule.

EVERYONE HAS AN ASSIGNED DINING TIME:

Early: 5:30pm - 6pm flexible arrival

Main: 8 - 9pm flexible arrive.

That's it. They've done away with the upper/lower distinction. They have simply an "arrival window" -- 30 minutes for early seating, an hour for main seating. From what the Hotel Manger told me (and I am free to share this) the test indicates that 95% of the passengers are arriving during the first half hour of the main seating window, and that a full 80% are arriving within the first 15 minutes.

There is very little footballing of passengers who are at tables by themselves. They are invited to move, if they wish, but they certainly don't have to. Everyone has an assigned table, and if they want to sit at it then fine. The Staff has been trained to suggest that each table settle on a common arrival time (if possible). HENCE, if a whole table agrees to show up at 8:15 pm (per the OLD schedule) then that's when dining begins. Ditto for 8 or even 9 pm. THAT is the extent of the change. The arrival "window" has been expanded.

The HM tells me that it appears that this version of the new dining schedule is working VERY well on the Oosterdam and that it would appear that it will be implemented on the Noordam's maiden voyage. By the time of our Group cruises it should be in effect on most of the ships of the fleet, if not all, and should have very little, if any, effect upon our group seating arrangements.

Speaking for myself, as a traditionalist passenger, I can detect very little difference between this schedule and the way it used to be before the upper and lower dining time division came into effect 3 or so years ago. The only difference is that the window for arrival is larger. It works, and it works WELL. While I plan on typing up a more complete, more formal report on the new dining schedule upon return home, suffice it to say that I like the larger window. It would appear that they've worked out the kinks. They realize that they made a BIG mistake in the first couple of test runs, and they most certainly do NOT want to make HAL over into a carbon copy of any other line. HAL should remain HAL ... and that is perfectly possible, maintaining traditional seating and timing, while at the same time providing a larger window for arrival in the Dining room.

My friends, I'm having a FANTASTIC time aboard the Oosterdam ... and am jazzed and ready, with excitement, to set sail on the Noordam in a month and a half. :) !!!!!

Life at sea is grand!

Wish you were all here!

As far as your view our first time on the Zuirderdam and Oosterdam were in cabins close to where you will be and yes the life boats were right underneath your balcony but it did not obstruct the view unless you wanted to see something directly below. The only thing is if the lifeboats under your balcony are being used for tendering in Cabo or PV you might hear them being let down early in the morning.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Just something to add regarding menu items. There was usually a seafood, fowl, pasta, and meat choice for dinner. On the second formal night was the "surf and turf" with the crab legs and filet mignon. One evening featured an Indonesian "plate" with many different dishes. Our table of eight (actually nine) ordered two of these "plates" along with our regular entrees so we could sample the cuisine. Also, one afternoon by the pool on the Lido Deck an Indonesian buffet was featured.

I thought the following were especially tasty..... Duck breast, salmon, and seared tuna. I wasn't impressed with the filet mignon on formal night as it had a "strange taste."

The first tea was outstanding - there were many choices of savories and the tea was already brewed in a pot. Afterwards, there were tea bags and not as many choices. However, since I dined at 8:00 p.m. it was the perfect "snack" to tide me over.

If you bring wine onboard or have it otherwise in your room, the cheese plates are very nice from room service. I love cheese anyway and it was "outstanding."

I suggest you eat in the Pinnacle on the first evening if you can schedule it. It's 1/2 price (not that $20.00 isn't a bargain!) and the food was amazing!

I think everyone else has answered your other questions. Enjoy your cruise!

Archived