What Time to Book Excursions?

K_e_short

I am going on the Norwegian Jewel in July.

I have sorted out our excursions (thank you to everyone who responded to my last message).

NCL says that disembarkation starts 2 hours after the ships arrives and you have to be back on the ship 2 hours before it leaves.

So does that mean that for example when we're in Skagway 8am to 8pm it really means that we get off the ship at 10am and have to be back on at 6pm. And more specifically does that mean that the earliest departure for a tour in Skagway would be after 10am (and that I'd need to figure out how quickly I can get off the ship and to the meeting point).

Thanks in advance.

Katie

No,   You usually can be off ships pretty close to arrival times,   You HAVE to be back o.  n board 30  minutes prior to sailing  (the listed port time.   

The 2 hour window  is initial  embark/debarking.   only  in Vancouver  and Seward.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

No,   You usually can be off ships pretty close to arrival times,   You HAVE to be back o.  n board 30  minutes prior to sailing  (the listed port time.   

The 2 hour window  is initial  embark/debarking.   only  in Vancouver  and Seward.   

Thank you for the response. I never paid attention on our last cruise because we didn't have excursions. 

I should clarify that I'm booking my tours directly with the tour companies, not through NCL (I know if I booked with the cruise ship I wouldn't have to worry about getting specific times).

Hi kate

we are also on jewel in July  (1 July departure) pending my wife’s full recovery from recent surgery 

i have sailed on Norwegian Jewel twice in last 13 months in Australian and New Zealand waters 

disembarkation in ports where ship docked alongside almost immediately, ship tendS to arrive at pier 30 minutes to an hour before schedule , this allows disembarkation to be close to advertised arrival point. Sometimes ship booked tours leave ship a few minutes be fore general departure.

At Seward you will be allocated departure time depending on what your onwards are

All passengers must be on board 30minutes prior to sailing and crew 45 minutes

this is well advertised on gangway as you leave ship

i dont think we have tender ports , so no need to discuss that 

i am looking forward to see the October makeover on Norwegian Jewel 

enjoy your planning prior to your cruise

Tom

I tend to book private operators , their livelihood depends on getting pole back to ship on time 

Always read their reviews

often much cheaper than cruse organised tours

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 5:24 PM, tjar13 said:

Hi kate

we are also on jewel in July  (1 July departure) pending my wife’s full recovery from recent surgery 

i have sailed on Norwegian Jewel twice in last 13 months in Australian and New Zealand waters 

disembarkation in ports where ship docked alongside almost immediately, ship tendS to arrive at pier 30 minutes to an hour before schedule , this allows disembarkation to be close to advertised arrival point. Sometimes ship booked tours leave ship a few minutes be fore general departure.

At Seward you will be allocated departure time depending on what your onwards are

All passengers must be on board 30minutes prior to sailing and crew 45 minutes

this is well advertised on gangway as you leave ship

i dont think we have tender ports , so no need to discuss that 

i am looking forward to see the October makeover on Norwegian Jewel 

enjoy your planning prior to your cruise

Tom

I have seen some pics and the video they posted. Glad the main areas are refreshed.

I hope your wife recovers. Alaska is such a bucket list item for us.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, tjar13 said:

I tend to book private operators , their livelihood depends on getting pole back to ship on time 

Always read their reviews

often much cheaper than cruse organised tours

Thank you for the reassurance. It is crazy how much more expensive certain excursions are. I am doing the dog sledding on the glacier. The cruise charges $629. One tour operator charges $529 and the other $519 - all for the same trip.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, tjar13 said:

Cruise lines use the fact “ they won’t leave without you “ and load the tour operators price , but ensure you have enough spare time after the tour  to allow for delays , you will save lots .

what July cruise on 

Not entirely.   The  only  "allocated"  people are cruise tour purchasers  and ship transfer purchasers.    Independent visitors,  choose their own times. 

19 hours ago, tjar13 said:

Cruise lines use the fact “ they won’t leave without you “ and load the tour operators price , but ensure you have enough spare time after the tour  to allow for delays , you will save lots .

what July cruise on 

We're going July 29th - August 5th.

Every cruise operator guarantees you will get back to the ship on time or they will fly you to the next port. I will take my chances. Being stranded in Alaska isn't that big of a problem. 🙂 (I am being silly although I'd be a lot more worried in a third world country).