Any advantage to booking excursions through NCL?

cruisefamily217

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

We do mostly private excursion and have never been disappointed. I can't say that for the ship excursions. I only book a ship excursion if the next port is far away. We booked one in Maui because our next stop (about a week later) was in Fiji. 

The independent sorts like me tend to do a lot of research. I'm always surprised when cruisers wait until they board the ship and then look to see what's left at the excursion desk.  Sort of like doing your research when visiting the Vatican and knowing that you should prebook and also know the secret door at the Sistine Chapel...

The research kind of extends the the vacation, part of the fun in my mind

Some times you find a deal that must be booked on your own!

Found a private Helicopter tour that landed 2 times on a Glacier in Alaska. First landing was up top in what just looks like a big field of snow. Went dog sledding.

The second landing is what made it special. You land down at the edge of the Glacier that calves off below. Flying over it with all crevices and bumps you say to your self no way. The spot he landed on was only 2-3 times the size of the bird!

So he walks us to a drain hole from the melting snow and told everyone(5) not to slip as that would be the last anyone would see you again for hundreds of years. It was 1,000 feet down.

So, all of that was fun and we came to find out that of the 3 Helicopter companies that fly from that port and 2 of which the Cruise Companies use did not fly  that day from the rain.

The Down Side.

Had a great talk with our Server that night about what a great trip the day was and she shared her story!

The year before she did the Helicopter trip up and was stuck on the Glacier for 3 days because of the rain/fog.

Had that happened to us, then EXPENSIVE!

Have some great water pictures, but must be to big?

IMG_3007.JPG.60d3b3be666aa895e02fbc1a858efaf8.JPGIMG_3009.JPG.6c32d39493aefbb13e26a7db4ffdf4e7.JPG

• Like 1

In my comparison I found with an excursion offered in Cabo, (both locally as well as through NCL) it was $8.00 cheaper to do with NCL when using the OBC promo.   Must do the math and weigh the dollars vs guarantee.  If you have OBC good way to use .