European Iteneraries

whitekt

Trying to decide between 2 European Itineraries. Both in September. One on the Jade Rome to Rome and one on the Pearl Venice to Rome. Both include the ports we are really interested in, Greece and Florence/Pisa being top of list. We thought first Pearl for sure since we want to come in early to visit Venice and stay after for few days in Rome.

And then in looking at the cost difference almost $1000 wondering if go from Rome to Venice by Train instead and depart from there after a few days.

1. Can anyone share if they have done this - we thought the train might be an interesting experience but the only train we have ever ridden is in Alaska and this is a high speed train.

2. Also any thoughts on the 2 itinerary and ports with Greece and Florence in both - what about the other ports?

3. Ship you prefer - same class so expect to be comparable?

Thanks for your input! This is our first trip to Europe and our retirement trip and very excited!

11-Day Greek Isles & Italy from Venice - $3879 Mini Suite

SHIP Norwegian Pearl
Ports of call Embark Venice ( Italy); Dubrovnik; Kotor; Corfu; Santorini; Mykonos; Athens (Piraeus); Taormina (Sicily); Naples; Florence/Pisa (Livorno) Disembark Rome (Civitavecchia) ( Italy)

11-Day Greek Isles & Italy from Rome (Civitavecchia) - $2999 for Mini-Suite

SHIP Norwegian Jade
CRUISE PORTS Embark Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy); Santorini (Greece); Athens (Piraeus) (Greece); Mykonos (Greece); Rhodes (Greece); Chania, Crete (Greece); Messina (Sicily) (Italy); Valletta (Malta); Naples (Italy); Florence/Pisa (Livorno) (Italy); Disembark Rome (Civitavecchia) (Italy)

Edited by whitekt

I would definitely say the Venice itinerary as it has Kotor and Dubrovnik in it. I personally don't think much of Chania or Messina. As for trains, they can be a bit dodgy in Italy but I haven't done Rome to Venice, only trains within Rome and out of Naples etc so the Rome to Venice trains might be alright. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

I’d agree about Kotor and Dubrovnik, although the other itinerary has Rhodes which I also loved.

As for the trains, in my fairly limited experience in Italy the express trains are quite good and relatively cheap. I would recommend prebooking one of those. The local trains are certainly not very comfortable.