Santiago airport to bus station

galelynn

There are 4 of us arriving in Santiago airport on the 6th of March.  We are staying in San Antonio for the night before the cruise.  What is the easiest way to get to the bus station to take the bus to San Antonio from the airport with luggage?  Also the cost and do they take US $ or credit cards?  Thanks in advance for any and all that help with or questions.

galelynn

Buses pick up right at the airport.  I don't see any direct routes, but that does not mean that there aren't any.  The ones I am seeing connect through Santiago at Alameda bus terminal.  Buses come every 15 minutes to the airport and depart every half hour from Alameda to San Antonio.  Total cost for both legs should be around $15 US pp.  We paid in Pesos, so I don't know if they take credit cards or not.  I would seriously doubt US $.

BTW, a great resource for searching travel options is Rome2Rio.com .  It will show you the bus options and provide links to the individual bus lines so that you can see schedule options and pricing. 

I haven’t taken the bus to San Antonio but I have taken the local public bus from the Santiago airport to the Alameda bus and metro station. The fare for the airport to Alameda leg was more like $3 last year. I paid in pesos; there are atms at the airport. When you buy your tickets to San Antonio at the Alameda stop, you can pay with a credit card. 

If if you don’t speak Spanish, I wouldn’t recommend this mode of travel. The stops aren’t announced. Alameda is a metro station and a bus station so there is a sign and it is large but I couldn’t see the sign from where I was sitting at the back of the bus. If I hadn’t been able to ask the other passengers, I would have missed the stop. 

We speak very limited Spanish, but had no trouble getting off at the right stop.  Alameda is a major bus terminal and by far the largest stop on the route from the airport.  It also helps if you research the route ahead of time so that you know what the stops are prior to Alameda. 

I think Alameda may be the end of the line for the Turbus airport bus and you pay on the bus--1700 Chilean pesos, around $3.  At Alameda you can take the Pullman or Turbus to San Antonio, whichever leaves the soonest.  There should be no need to buy tickets in advance.  The bus will make a couple of quick stops along the way.  You may need to take a taxi from the bus station in San Antonio, but there may be a shuttle over to the port.  There should be someone inside to give you information.  When we were there in October, there was a port agent representative there who was very helpful--he found the backpack my husband left behind and sent in on to us in Santiago at no charge and with nothing missing!

• 1 month later...