Who has driven in Kauai?

Beachiekeen

17 minutes ago, KYBOB said:

All I can say is; I will let the photos do the talking.

Also what Mama's has over all the resturants you mentioned above is; Location, View and Location.

Call me odd, but I go for the quality of the food.

I'll also stack up Merriman's location on the point and view of Molokai against Mama's any day.

Most, if not all of the restaurants I named have better view, better locations (because they are in the main resort areas) and most importantly, food.

10 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Call me odd, but I go for the quality of the food.

I'll also stack up Merriman's location on the point and view of Molokai against Mama's any day.

Most, if not all of the restaurants I named have better view, better locations (because they are in the main resort areas) and most importantly, food.

You must have had a really bad experience at Mama's to say the quality of the food is bad or even that is is not as good as the others. I have eaten at 2 of the restaurants you mentioned and found it to be equally good but not to the point of saying it was far superior and better quality food. The prices were higher though.  Then there is what you like vs what I like, for instance I am not a big fan of a Sushi you may love it.  Also I am the opposite I want out of the "main resort area" (IE Four Seasons Hotel) with all the high rent equaling higher prices. 

3 hours ago, KYBOB said:

Well finally back home after a month in Hawaii. Spent 2 1/2 weeks in Kauai. I will say traffic starting at the turn in to the Wailua State park (Smith Family Luau / fern grotto) through Kapaa north and then returning south depending on the time of day can be a long wait unless you know the short cut around town which is beginning to have a lot of traffic. When we were there they were paving from Wailua to Lihue at night starting at 8pm.

We tried the Grill at the Princeville Resort but never could figure out the schedule, was closed a couple of nights. Sad to say the Princeville resort is definitely not what it used to be. The staff was great but seemed kind of like 'deadman' walking nobody knew if they would be kept on while they remodeled or how long the renovation would take. 

We did eat a Gaylords twice and each time tried something different and was wonderful.

We had great meal at Tidepools (photos below); Scallops, Lobster & Opa, Mac nut encrusted Mahi Mahi was wonderful. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_512a.thumb.jpg.56d07cedcbdbbb592f1846146235a3e3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50fe.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5116.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_50fd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_511c.jpg

Thanks so much for reporting back! We have decided to stick to the south shore and save the north shore for our land vacation.  

22 hours ago, KYBOB said:

You must have had a really bad experience at Mama's to say the quality of the food is bad or even that is is not as good as the others. I have eaten at 2 of the restaurants you mentioned and found it to be equally good but not to the point of saying it was far superior and better quality food. The prices were higher though.  Then there is what you like vs what I like, for instance I am not a big fan of a Sushi you may love it.  Also I am the opposite I want out of the "main resort area" (IE Four Seasons Hotel) with all the high rent equaling higher prices.

I've been to Mama's a lot of times and never had bad food. It is often our last meal on Maui as we head to the airport.

What i am saying is I've never bought into their shtick. They dazzle with a lot of smoke and mirrors. Their food lacks the complexity or development of flavors that the ones I named have.