Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Need to know: can anyone tell me how one gets to go on board Gemini in Singapore ?

Last time we went, a few years ago, we had to stand with our luggage and queue in a line for ages until we got on board.:eek:

Has it improved ? Did you see anyone in wheelchairs in line ?

Thanks, haggar(maggy)

:) House keeping are always helpful.

HELP ! We have trouble standing for any length of time: I remember last time about 7 years ago in Singapore,we had to queue for ages ,with our luggage, to get on board.

Has it changed at all ? Has anyone noticed wheelchairs waiting in the queue ?

Hopefully it has improved the boarding by now.

ALL the travellers ----have a beaut trip,and looking forward to your comments when you return.:D

cheers Maggy/helga38

Hi All

Helga38, we arrived at the embarkation hall at 2.30pm and our luggage was checked in within 5 minutes and then stood in que and from memory we were aboard just as afternoon tea started, around 3.30pm, our cruise had 538 pax to board.

Cant say that I saw any wheelchairs, but they had plenty of crew staff helping out with information so I think one could be readily found if required.

Cheers

Les

Sorry double post

Hi All

Helga38, we arrived at the embarkation hall at 2.30pm and our luggage was checked in within 5 minutes and then stood in que and from memory we were aboard just as afternoon tea started, around 3.30pm, our cruise had 538 pax to board.

Cant say that I saw any wheelchairs, but they had plenty of crew staff helping out with information so I think one could be readily found if required.

Cheers

Les

Secret is to get there just before the boarding opens for SS GEMINI departing Singapore on 18/11 for Aus first check in is at 0930, (last check in is at 1100) . The big bags are normally checked in at street level (and delivered direct to your Stateroom on board ) , then you proceed on foot into the terminal building, Up the central escalators and turn RIGHT and you will see various pedestal signs and Star staff re passenger check-in . Depending on type of Stateroom you have booked you take one of two queues ADMIRAL CLASS is priority check-in for Executive & Junior Suites, WORLD CRUISER for all other Staterooms .

In WORLD CRUISER we were on board within 45 mins of arrival enjoying a long cold cold Aussie beer in GEMINI BAR - let the relaxation and wonderful atmosphere and sensational staff on SS GEMINI sink in .

Footnote for Aussies you don't need to bring Vegemite, it is available at breakfast in all restaurants on both SS GEMINI and SS VIRGO .

You can assist STAR and probably save a bit of time by pre-registering your intended boarding at this page on the STAR website, then they can have everything ready when you arrive - STAR are un-believably efficient in how they board so many pax in such a short time , we pre-registered for last cruise and we just said our name out came the cards and papers, handed over our passports and it took less than 1 minute at the counter .

http://www.starcruises.com/Reservations/index.html

Scroll down the bottom of the web page to cruise check-in and follow the prompts. (You will need your cruise documentation from your Travel Agent.)

Also if you are an Aussie go to Aust Government DFAT Smart Traveller web site and register your trip details. Then if something happens DFAT have record of your whereabouts and Aust Government officers Overseas are in a better position to locate you and assist you if necessary . Hope the above helps.

Hi everyone- I'm hoping all is well with Boecklii- there is a large tropical storm baring down on Haiti and Cuba over the last couple of days. Really hoping all is ok- Crusie Critic news has info re changes to Freedom of the Seas and Enchantment of the Seas but nothing about Norwegian Dawn. :confused:

E onboard :)

Hi Jim & Muriel,

The following paragraphs are found at the bottom of our Confirmation Slip.

Perhaps you missed them or they were not printed out for you.

The Star Cruises’ office is not very big. There are a few seats there for those waiting to be served.

I have no experience with this, so I don’t know how crowded it may be for those two days of City Check-in.

We planned to be there at opening time on that Friday. If it is too crowded by then we will go walk about and return later.

We won’t do Saturday, as the city would be packed with mad shoppers then.:)

11. Passengers are advised to login to http://www.starcruises.com/reservations/index.html to submit their details and emergency contact.

12. Passengers are required to Check-in at the Harbour Front Centre (formerly World Trade Centre) Level 2 or during City Check-in at 9 Penang Road, #11-08 Park Mall, Singapore. All baggage will be x-rayed and checked in on the ground floor of the Harbour Front Centre (next to the Arrival Hall, at Lobby C).

13. City Check-in is available 2 days before your cruise departure date on Friday & Saturday at Star Cruises Park Mall Singapore Office, (for Sunday Departure only). The operational hours on Friday is from 10:00am to 2:00pm & 5:00pm to 7:00pm and Saturday is from 10:00am to 2:00pm & 4:00pm to 6:00pm. No City Check-in on Sundays and Public Holidays. Passport is required for city check-in. Due to security reason; baggage will NOT be accepted during City Check-in.

This is only for the Australian Season of SS GEMINI. There is a link on the STAR website . You need your Star Reservation number to pre-book. No payment required at pre-booking, think STAR are trying to get a feel for demand for the various tours .

The Star ship to City transfers in capital cities in Australia are very expensive . You can do them at much less cost solo using available public transport services :

Fremantle (for Perth) has frequent suburban train service up to Perth City.(30 mins)

Melbourne - walk to the pier head and take the light rail (tram) to the City, runs every few minutes.(15 minute trip)

Sydney - SS GEMINI berths some times at Circular Quay and other times at Darling Harbour. Both berths are within spitting distance and walk to city .

Brisbane - Bretts Wharf is just upstream from the Cruise Terminal berth and frequent river ferry service runs up the river to the City . (45 minutes.)

See separate posting re info I offer for visitors on SS GEMINI re Melbourne.

SS GEMINI will be passing through MELBOURNE twice in the Australian Summer; firstly on Friday 07/12/07 (0800 to 1700) and then again on Wednesday 16/01/08.(0800 - 1600). Times shown are indicative as per published itineraries at August 2007). Check STAR NAVIGATOR issued on board each day for actual arrival and departure times and times all pax must be back on board prior to departure .

I have have prepared some self exploration notes of things to see and how to get there within the Central Business District for people who are self explorers.

The berth in Melbourne is serviced by an excellent high frequency light rail (tram) service, between the Pier head and the Melbourne CBD. The city is very close (like 15 mins by light rail) from Station Pier. So there is no need to take an expensive tour when you can see most things yourself on a

$ 6-30 Aus Daily tram/train ticket . Anyone who would like a copy in WORD format just e-mail me direct at kuldalai@pipeline.com.au with your e-mail address and I will send you a copy . Hope this helps visitors to "downunder" on SS GEMINI.

Thanks to everyone for the info. We are now booked up for the required trips.

Vera, - we arrive in Singapore late on Saturday the 17th Nov. and join the ship on Sunday morning, so no time for meeting there, however we look forward to meeting you in the gemini bar on the 22nd.

Regards Jim and Muriel

Hi Jim and Muriel - glad you've sorted out your tours, what are you doing in Bali?

We are joining the ship in Bali not Singapore. Also I had suggested we meet on the sea day after that i.e. Friday 23rd at 4 pm (not 22nd) as you will probably still be out and about at that time.

I don't think there will be any panic embarking in Singapore with Gemini sailing well before the Virgo crowd arrives. With less than 700 pax checking in, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes - SSV what do you think?

Vera

SSG can accomodate ~900 people when all berths are taken up.

No panic, no crowd after the early crowd is gone which I think is ~0930.

Gate closes at 1000/1030 but I'm pretty sure it'll be delayed as she will only arrive from KL at 0900, don't quote me on it though!

Apart from SSQ's relocation cruise and SSR's Singapore stint, I've never seen long queues whilst boarding any Star Cruises' ships. So no worries!

Hi SSV - thanks for your reply - I didn't think it was necessary to use the city pre check in, (as per some earlier posts suggest) to me that would be more of a hassle.

Didn't realise Gemini could take as many as 900 pax! Any idea how full the relocation cruise to Fremantle is and how many boarding in Bali - apart from my husband and myself!!

Vera

SSV any idea of what sort of loading SSG will have departing Singapore for Aus ? Obviously will not be chockers as there a few to pick up in Bali travelling towards Aus.

To all the wonderful staff on Gemini who are coming to Aus for Summer - we Aussies trust you will have as greater time down under, as we will have sailing with such delightful people as the crew on SS Gemini .

To those of you coming from all over the world to Singapore to join Gemini for Australia, have a wonderful cruise, relax and soak up the Star magic, and enjoy your visit to what us Aussies often call "the lucky country".