What ages did you start letting kids stay in their own cabin?

mama_2_boys

9 hours ago, OCruisers said:

There gets to be a time when it is very worth paying for a cabin for them so they are not in yours.  :classic_laugh:

I totally agree! We always put our adult daughters in their own cabin but we just were not thinking clearly when we put one daughter and our 10 month old granddaughter in our cabin while they were living with us during one of her hubby’s deployments to Iraq. Thank goodness we had a balcony to escape to, but we were very crowded. In hindsight, I should have booked 2 inside cabins, rather than a more expensive over crowded balcony. But this was back in the days when I thought I couldn’t sail in anything but a balcony. Our retirement budget has taught us that inside cabins are just fine. As for younger children in a separate cabin, I feel for very young, an adjoining cabin is the answer, but kids used to cruising, anywhere from 11 years old or around that age, depending on maturity are fine in a non adjoining cabin.

Edited by grandmarnnurse
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I totally agree! We always put our adult daughters in their own cabin but we just were not thinking clearly when we put one daughter and our 10 month old granddaughter in our cabin while they were living with us during one of her hubby’s deployments to Iraq. Thank goodness we had a balcony to escape to, but we were very crowded. In hindsight, I should have booked 2 inside cabins, rather than a more expensive over crowded balcony. But this was back in the days when I thought I couldn’t sail in anything but a balcony. Our retirement budget has taught us that inside cabins are just fine. As for younger children in a separate cabin, I feel for very young, an adjoining cabin is the answer, but kids used to cruising, anywhere from 11 years old or around that age, depending on maturity are fine in a non adjoining cabin.

This is exactly what we decided. We put our 6 year old in the balcony with us and our 11 and 13 year Olds across the hall.

16 hours ago, fdwt994 said:

We booked connecting oceanview when our kids were 5 & 8.  Obviously, we wouldn't have done this without the connecting door.  It was actually cheaper to do this than put all of us in one balcony stateroom.  Square footage wise, two oceanview are bigger than one suite!  

Just curious; why are you looking at non-connecting rooms?  You do realize, that in most cases, you have to call the cruiseline to book such connecting rooms?  In most cases (not all), connecting rooms are simply not available via the website on your own.

Hope this helps.  

There are no available connecting rooms in the configuration we need on any cruises we were considering. That was our first choice.

2 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

There are no available connecting rooms in the configuration we need on any cruises we were considering. That was our first choice.

Just curious- how far out are you trying to book?  We are also a family of five, and have been able to book (via phone only) connecting rooms on our last three cruises but we do so about a year out from the sail date.  

One other thing- our Travel agent didn't realize even he had to call the cruise line to make this happen; initially he insisted that "he sees what they see", but when he called Carnival he was told otherwise.  

Just wondering how quickly those rooms sell out.

Thanks!

Edited by fdwt994

1 hour ago, fdwt994 said:

Just curious- how far out are you trying to book?  We are also a family of five, and have been able to book (via phone only) connecting rooms on our last three cruises but we do so about a year out from the sail date.  

One other thing- our Travel agent didn't realize even he had to call the cruise line to make this happen; initially he insisted that "he sees what they see", but when he called Carnival he was told otherwise.  

Just wondering how quickly those rooms sell out.

Thanks!

At 8 months out there were no connecting rooms to accommodate 5 of us on the 3 or 4 different sailings we checked.

We used a pvp to book so this should have been accurate. 

Edited by mama_2_boys