What ages did you start letting kids stay in their own cabin?

mama_2_boys

We are a family of 5 trying to decide between the Deluxe Ocean View or two non-connecting interior or ocean view rooms. The prices are all similar but I'm torn since they do not connect. I'm not sure I want to sleep separate from my husband but I'm also not sure I want to let the kids stay in a room solo yet. Thoughts from anyone that has been in this situation are appreciated.

• Like 1

How old are your children?  Are the rooms within the proximity required by Carnival?  I never cruised when my children were young, but I, personally, wouldn't have considered a non-connecting room before they were 10.  Maybe someone else can provide personal experiences for you.  Happy cruising!

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

We are a family of 5 trying to decide between the Deluxe Ocean View or two non-connecting interior or ocean view rooms. The prices are all similar but I'm torn since they do not connect. I'm not sure I want to sleep separate from my husband but I'm also not sure I want to let the kids stay in a room solo yet. Thoughts from anyone that has been in this situation are appreciated.

I would only do it if it was a connecting cabin.   I would not feel comfortable with a completely different cabin with kids under 16

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mama_2_boys said:

They are 11 and 13. The youngest would be with us.

We did this, never encountered a problem.  My 3 started sharing their own room starting when they were 13, 10 and 8 - at that time they were next door but we've had them a few doors down as well, even in a separate muster station given the way the rooms were divided up - I told oldest that in an emergency she was in charge.  But never any concern or issues on multiple cruises.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

Mine were 10 and 14 where we did two non connecting staterooms.  I understand how you are not sure if you want them solo yet, but knowing that my kids get along very nicely and they would only be sleeping and getting ready one cabin (not sure how your kids are and your cruising style), I would go for the two staterooms.  With two staterooms you would get more space, more storage and 2 full bathrooms rather than 2 sinks, 1 shower, 1 bathtub, and 1 toilet.  Are your children independent enough for it though?  How old are they?

6 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

How old are your children?  Are the rooms within the proximity required by Carnival?  I never cruised when my children were young, but I, personally, wouldn't have considered a non-connecting room before they were 10.  Maybe someone else can provide personal experiences for you.  Happy cruising!

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer. 

You can always book the adult and child in a room together, why the other adult and child(run) in another room, get extra keys, then have the kids sleep in the one room with the adults in the other to get around these rules. Just be sure to link the reservations!

14 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

Mine were 10 and 14 where we did two non connecting staterooms.  I understand how you are not sure if you want them solo yet, but knowing that my kids get along very nicely and they would only be sleeping and getting ready one cabin (not sure how your kids are and your cruising style), I would go for the two staterooms.  With two staterooms you would get more space, more storage and 2 full bathrooms rather than 2 sinks, 1 shower, 1 bathtub, and 1 toilet.  Are your children independent enough for it though?  How old are they?

You can always book the adult and child in a room together, why the other adult and child(run) in another room, get extra keys, then have the kids sleep in the one room with the adults in the other to get around these rules. Just be sure to link the reservations!

I wouldn't worry about them, they are mature and well behaved. I worry about everyone else! Haha! They will be 11 and 13 when we cruise.

8 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

By the time we started cruising, in 1995, we had been married 25 years, and our two youngest daughters were in their 20s, so this won’t give you the info your looking for, because these two girls ran me up a $2,000 bar bill! Lol! But, seriously, my oldest daughter has been cruising with her 4 children for years on Carnival, and they usually have their own cabin. They are now ages (twins)11, 16, and 20, but they were much younger when they started cruising in their own cabin. She prefers adjoining, but has not always been successful getting those cabins. She will not book balconies with them, though. Usually just inside cabins.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

We did this, never encountered a problem.  My 3 started sharing their own room starting when they were 13, 10 and 8 - at that time they were next door but we've had them a few doors down as well, even in a separate muster station given the way the rooms were divided up - I told oldest that in an emergency she was in charge.  But never any concern or issues on multiple cruises.

We did thi9s as well! Ours were 13, 8, and 8. Never had a problem. They had a key to our cabin and we had a key to there's. We always got a balcony and an inside across the hall for them!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have purchased two cabins since our girls were 14. When they were 14 and 15, we purchased two balcony cabins and opened the divider between the two balconies. It was like having a two bedroom/2 bathroom suite! It was fantastic! When they were 16, we purchased an interior a few doors down from us. I was a bit nervous with them a few doors down, but they are good girls and wouldn't get themselves in bad situations. This time, we have an ocean suite so we are all together. 

• Like 1

We booked connecting oceanview when our kids were 5 & 8.  Obviously, we wouldn't have done this without the connecting door.  It was actually cheaper to do this than put all of us in one balcony stateroom.  Square footage wise, two oceanview are bigger than one suite!  

Just curious; why are you looking at non-connecting rooms?  You do realize, that in most cases, you have to call the cruiseline to book such connecting rooms?  In most cases (not all), connecting rooms are simply not available via the website on your own.

Hope this helps.  

Our DDs are 16 and 12 (will be 17 and 13 on our upcoming BTB), and we never have put them in their own cabin and have no plans to do so.  We book Suites.  There's plenty of room for the four of us and all our stuff.  Back when we used to book OVs and Balconies with the girls, it was a bit cramped.

We have taken all of our grandkids on cruises, several times when we only take one, they stay in our cabin.  Two 16 year olds had an inside across the hall, but the 12 and 13 year old had an adjoining cabin.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone under 16 in a non-adjoining cabin.

I'd do it at those aged IF they have had ample experience with hotels and cruises. I wouldn't book them in their own rooms if travel was very new to them. Mine are 12 and 13. I would have 0 issue with them in their own room, but we travel a lot and they just went on their 4th cruise.

LOL - 33. My daughter has been cruising with us since she was 18 month old.

When she cruised with us, we were always paying so we did three in a cabin. 

At 33, her boyfriend  was cruising with us so we gave then their own room (Yes, we paid for them both. It is our contribution to two hard working, underpaid teachers.)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

I let my kids have their own cabin as soon as they were able to pay for it...…….

There gets to be a time when it is very worth paying for a cabin for them so they are not in yours.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 1