Takkyubin or luggage transfer kiosk in Yokohama cruise port

codegreen

I am travelling with Celebrity on the Millennium to end our cruise September 22 in Yokohama. Does anyone know if the cruise port has a kiosk for luggage transfer or if there is a luggage transfer company near to the cruise port. We plan on taking the train to Kyoto and have read that luggage is a problem on the trains. I have been searching online but have been unable to clarify if there are any companies nearby. I read a mention by someone that there was a kiosk at the cruise port but that post was several years old. I would appreciate it if anyone has more up to date info.

Yes, there is one set up in the Osanbashi Terminal when cruise ships arrive.

In Japan you can find the same service at "Kombini", the convenience stores that are on nearly every street corner in the cities: 7-11, Family Mart, Sunkus, 3Fs, etc. They are all open 24 hours.

We used the one at the Osanbashi pier last July.  It wasn't the usual black cat company but equally as good and about the same price.  Price depends on distance and measurements of the luggage.   We use it all the time in Japan.  Sometimes we take hand luggage only for a night or two and send  the larger luggage to  our next stop.  Just remember to allow a day for arrival, depending on distance.   Yokohama to Kyoto should arrive the following day.  Ensure you have notified the receiving hotel that you will be sending luggage via courier.

Not sure if I explained myself properly.

Last July for example we sent the luggage from Osanbashi pier to our hotel in Okayama. We took hand luggage only with us up to Gora /fuji area for 2 nights. On arrival at our hotel in Okayama our luggage was already in our room for us.

Courier staff / hotel staff/convenience store staff will all fill in the paperwork for you.  If staying in a hotel staff will arrange pick up so you won't even need to take it to a convenience store.

Edited by Tara Jane

We took the train from Yokohama to Kyoto after a cruise two years ago.  In hindsight we would have been better to forward our luggage, but since it was Sunday the train wasn’t too crowded and we managed.

Our hotel arranged to send our cases on our return trip.  We took overnight bags for a stop in Hakone and the cases were waiting at the Tokyo hotel.   Very convenient!  The hotel even checked our Tokyo reservations and let them know our case were coming.

Sheila