What would you do?

ucmino

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:18 PM, islandercruiser said:

We get travel insurance through blue cross.  Use their travel and medical package.  I also verified that it covered ship medieval if needed.  Enjoy the island and don’t get caught in a snow storm on your way to the ship.  We did on our way to NYC end of November one year... oh and try not to laugh too hard when it snows 2 cm and the towns shut down lol

haha, oh goodness, the Island is so funny for that, one single snow flake and people are in full out panic mode!  We have had a very cold with lots of snow the past 1.5 months, unusual for here.. I love it but others not so much!!!  I do miss the snow from up north....  Still on the fence about what to do with this cruise.... it is a tough call!!

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:42 AM, browniegirl said:

haha, oh goodness, the Island is so funny for that, one single snow flake and people are in full out panic mode!  We have had a very cold with lots of snow the past 1.5 months, unusual for here.. I love it but others not so much!!!  I do miss the snow from up north....  Still on the fence about what to do with this cruise.... it is a tough call!!

Take the cruise from NYC and see the city as well.  you just have to plan for flight delays which do happen coming from the island.

As for the snow this year - we owned two yes two snowblowers when we lived there.  they do get snow, they do panic and they do flaunt that they don't lol  it just comes and quickly goes but we have videos of a F350 pullng into our driveway where the snowbanks are higher than the truck.  No exaggeration and we lived in the southern region of the island :) 

On 2/25/2019 at 10:53 AM, ucmino said:

Looking at two cruises in 2021.  One is the Gem out of New York, 14 days, the other is 12 days out Tampa on the Jade.  Am I crazy to think about cruising out of New York in January????

Not at all. Just prepare for weather delays and plan to be indoors first day out and last day back.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, islandercruiser said:

Take the cruise from NYC and see the city as well.  you just have to plan for flight delays which do happen coming from the island.

As for the snow this year - we owned two yes two snowblowers when we lived there.  they do get snow, they do panic and they do flaunt that they don't lol  it just comes and quickly goes but we have videos of a F350 pullng into our driveway where the snowbanks are higher than the truck.  No exaggeration and we lived in the southern region of the island 🙂

haha yes oh I know, we can get some real good storms!  We have had very cold weather and lots of snow since January this year, been strange for here!  In fact, woke up to 2 inches of snow this morning!  That ought to get the city in a complete mess haha!!!!  Oh Island life!!!  Love it!

Have mostly sailed out of the Northeast but have also sailed out of Tampa in April. Hit some very rough seas sailing out of Tampa so there are no quaruntees no matter where you go!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, blcruising said:

Just prepare for weather delays and plan to be indoors first day out and last day back.

One thing we found sailing out of NYC in February - the ship feels very crowded. Each ship is designed for a certain number of passengers spread out over the total space. But when it is cold outside, large parts of that space can't really be used. So, yes, you have to plan to be indoors for the days of cold weather. And so does everyone else. But the ship isn't designed to have everyone indoors all the time (like, for instance, the Queen Mary is). These ships are designed to take advantage of warm weather. Restaurants have some of their tables outside, the pool has no glass ceiling, the jogging track is on an open deck, etc. When everyone is inside, it gets really crowded. The feel of the ship was very different on those days - it felt to us like there were too many people on board. Getting seats in the restaurants was hard. Activities were jammed. It wasn't relaxing for us. When we got to the Bahamas and the weather was mild enough to use the outdoor space, it was a completely different cruise. But that was a small percentage of the overall trip.