Crane Resort now requiring tour for day pass

WandHinTX

For anyone else interested in a Crane Resort day pass, they are only giving access after you take what sounds a lot like a time share tour. Here's a copy of the response I received:

From Crane:

Hello Harvey,
We know your vacation time is precious, so we'd love to welcome you soon to enjoy the day by our world-famous Crane Beach, as well as an informative property tour with one of our friendly Ownership Representatives.
Remember, to qualify for the complimentary day pass, persons must be over 30, in full-time employment or retired. If married or living together as a couple, both persons are required to attend the tour.
Our scheduled tour times are 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM and 1:30 PM and you can easily book a convenient day/time on our calendar.

My reply:

For clarification, is this tour required in order for a day pass? Can we not just pay a rate for access? 
All due respect, this is our anniversary trip and if we have to take a time share tour in order to have access to the resort then we will go somewhere else, or just go straight to the beach without seeing the resort.
From Crane:
There is no price for the Day Pass and you must take the Property Tour to qualify for the Day Pass.

Needless to say, we will not be visiting the Crane Resort. Anyone else have ideas for a day pass somewhere off the beaten path? There's 4 ships in port the day we're on Barbados.

Thanks,
W

Thanks for the heads-up WandHinTX.

Crane has one of the most beautiful beaches on the planet, according to Conde Nast.

But remember, all beaches on Barbados are free to the public. Crane doesn’t own that beach and you do not have to pay a fee or take a tour to access it.

Public access to Crane beach is to the left of the hotel down some precarious steps, but quite passable for most.

Vendors will offer you sun beds and drinks even though you were not part of the Crane-paid experience.

Be sure and arrange return transport from your cabbie as you won’t be able to ask the Crane to hail a cab for you.

A truly beautiful spot.  Please visit and don’t let the new ‘rules’ in any way dissuade you.

It’s still free, my friends. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by ming
  • Like 1

Yeah, we're probably still going to Crane beach, we're already going to be at the Foursquare distillery. The pricing I'd seen for a day pass before, along with being able to use it as restaurant credit, is all that made that idea appealing. Probably still the beach I'm most excited about. 

-W

Edited by WandHinTX

10 minutes ago, ming said:

Vendors will offer you sun beds and drinks even though you were not part of the Crane-paid experience

Do you happen to know about what a pair of chairs and an umbrella costs? Also, you think the vendors will accept US dollars or will we need B'dos dollars?

The last time I checked a few years ago two (2) chair rentals with a parasol were US$30.

US dollars are totally acceptable on the island.  No need to change currencies.

Two (2) Barbados dollars = One (1) U.S. dollar.

A good idea to confirm if U.S. or Barbados dollars whenever you’re quoted a price on the island. 

Especially with taxi cabs!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, ming said:

The last time I checked a few years ago two (2) chair rentals with a parasol were US$30.

US dollars are totally acceptable on the island.  No need to change currencies.

Two (2) Barbados dollars = One (1) U.S. dollar.

A good idea to confirm if U.S. or Barbados dollars whenever you’re quoted a price on the island. 

Especially with taxi cabs!

Apologies, I meant to ask this follow up before and forgot. Am I going to have any issues hailing a taxi from Crane Beach? I'm hoping someone at the little beach bar called The Grove can call one for us. Thanks in advance