River boat cruise

tgo's

I have been checking out these boards in getting ready for my first cruise. I notice that most often you are talking about ocean cruises. My cruise will be on the Mississippi Queen this Nov. from St. Paul to St. Lewis. I am wondering if any of you have any advice specific to the Delta Queen cruise boats.

I know I will have formal and semi-formal ocasions and have apreciated the advice I have seen about how to prepare for them. I feel I am fairly well put to gether in my daily life and have not worked up any real panic about dressing for the cruise, other than how I am going to get it all to fit in my suitcase.

Anything you may be able to tell me about the regon, and river boats will be apreciated. :)

Check out the Delta Riverboat CC messageboard.

We considered booking one last year so I went over there and posted a couple ofquestions. I was told it was nothing like an ocean cruise, the food was more southern style which I do like but not like 4 star resuarant food you get on ocean cruises.

I decided against it because it was pricy and for the same price we booked a nice balcony cabin on Disney. I still would like to do one one day though. Please post and let us know about it when you get back.

Thank you. I do have a post with a more general question on the Delta Queen board. I was hoping you folks here with a more "fashion focus" could help me on the clothes issue.

The lure of Mark Twain, Huck Finn, and the Mississippi have been pulling me for almost 30 years. The Mississippi will be my first cruise - even though I realise it will be more expensive.

After reading the posts here on CC I know it will not be my last. I am already trying to decide if I should go to Alaska or somewhere warm in '07.

After doing 7 ocean cruises, I did a river cruise with my Mom in December. It was called "Christmas Markets on the Rhine" and was FANTASTIC! I would highly recommend those that feel like they have "done" all of the ocean cruises to give it a try. Very similar, but yet so different. And for the women out there who like to shop, you really need to see the Christmas Markets in Germany! Needless to say, we had to pay quite a bit for our over-weight luggage coming home from all the treasures we just had to bring back with us.

Pam

We have sailed on the Delta Queen twice and once each on the Mississippi Queen and the American Queen.

The dress code is the same on all three boats.

The men wore either a business suit or nice sport coat, tie and dress pants on formal nights and slacks and a nice dress sport shirt on the other nights.

The ladies wore a nice dress on formal nights and dress slacks/skirts and a nice blouse or a less formal dress on the other nights.

One thing to remember about all three boats is that they only serve food in one place for dinner. So if you think you are not going to dress up for formal night and eat else where you will be very sorry and very hungry that night as no other food is available until the next morning's breakfast.

Enjoy your steamboatin experience. We are looking forward to taking the cruise you are doing.

Of the three boats we personally prefer the Delta Queen.

Also one final thought. Enjoy playing the steam caillope and flying a kite off the stern over the paddle wheel when you have a chance to do so.

Thank you all for your advice. I will be sure to let you know how the cruise went when I get back.:)

As to missing formal night - wouldn't think of it. I wear a uniform to work all week and am looking forward to the chance to dress up and enjoy other parts of my wardrobe for a week. I agree with others who have said the chance to dress for dinnier is all a part of the experience.

Also a note of thanks to the organizers of Cruise Critic. Thank you for being the only site I have found so far that includes Riverboats in your cruise information.

After doing 7 ocean cruises, I did a river cruise with my Mom in December. It was called "Christmas Markets on the Rhine" and was FANTASTIC! I would highly recommend those that feel like they have "done" all of the ocean cruises to give it a try. Very similar, but yet so different. And for the women out there who like to shop, you really need to see the Christmas Markets in Germany! Needless to say, we had to pay quite a bit for our over-weight luggage coming home from all the treasures we just had to bring back with us.

Pam

Pam hubby and I have looked at those too. we liked the idea of doing a land tour of Europe but we love cruises and we felt if we did that we could have the best of both worlds.

Our problem is we want to do so much and being able to live long enough to do everything we want and dream! Maybe one day.

Oh, I'm so excited to hear about your Riverboat Cruise! I think it sounds very romantic and like lots of fun! My husband refuses to go on an Ocean cruise with me, but I'll bet if I researched Riverboat cruises he'd go with me! He loves the Mississippi. You'll have to tell us all about it!:D

gjules,

Go to the Delta Queen Board and you will be able to see some very good information from a poster named Steamboats. He has given me some very good advice. Also he has given me a link to another websight that talks just about steamboating. Delta Queen's web sight has good info also.

As several people have mentioned, the riverboat is more expensive. But for me this is a dream trip from childhood and well worth the extra cost. I am now trying to decide where the next cruise will be - and I haven't taken off for the first one yet. Does that mean I have "caught the bug"?:confused:

I'll be posting a review when I get back in Nov.

Archived