Will I make my flight? Only 2 hours to make my connection on ATN.

Bsan1221

Am wondering what you guys think.

Am having a freakin' cow!!! Am about to have a heart attack!!!!!!!

Here is my problem:

I booked my airfare for Tahiti! I thought everything was fine and I was about to celebrate. But of course its all gone wrong.

My flight leaves 4/16/06 from FLL to LAX. I arrive at LAX at 11:08 AM.

My flight from LAX to Tahiti (PPT) leaves on 4/16/06 at 1:00 PM.

I thought 2 hours was going to be enough time. I've made connections in less time than that.

Anyways, I was going to check my luggage all the way thru from FFL to PPT (so I wouldnt have to wait around for luggage) walk over to the terminal and wait to get on my plane.

So I post on the Roll Call thread that I set up my airfare and how excited I was. Then someone from the roll call group emails me and says "make sure you have 3 1/2 hours between your connection". I was like WHAT?!!?@?@?#?! WHY?!@?@?#?#?! WHO SAYS?!?!? And she said something along the lines of "Thats the amount of time the airline suggest". Of course, I didnt know this because I didnt directly book w/ the airline someone for our group made the arragements.

Then I come to find out that to get on the plane to Tahiti you have to physically walk out of the LAX terminal to another building and go thru security again!

Now I have non refundable tickets from FLL to LAX. If I cancel them and rebook I have to pay a $50.00 p/person fee to AA . A $30.00 p/person processing fee to Expedia plus the difference to fly in the day before is $160.00 per person.

I tried to get on the later flight for Tahiti which leaves at 4PM but they couldnt get me on. If I dont make my flight at 1PM they tell me I MAY be able to get on the 4PM unless its full.

So now am FLIPPIN' OUT that I may not make my flight!!! AM HAVING A FREAKING COW!!!! AM ABOUT TO FAINT!! AM JUST ABOUT TO CRY!!! :(

Will I make my connection?

Will 2 Hours be enough?

(* I guess I'll have to run and pray*)

We have 2 1/2 hours and we are going to run and pray. At least you are coming in on American and the terminal is close to ATN. We are coming in on United and have to run at least 1/2 mile (or wait for the shuttle that stops along the way)! What did ATN say about how long they'll hold your seat?

We cruised TP on Dec 30, 2005. We had flights from Edmonton to Vancouver to LAX (arriving at 10:15am) and believed we had enough time. (2.75 hours between arrival in LAX and the 1pm departure to PPT). We also flew in 2 days prior to the cruise so weren't worried about missing the ship. When I phoned ATN to check seat arrangements and just confirm the flight we were told we needed to check in 3 hours before the flight and that you had to be at the gate at least 1 hour before take off as they closed the gate. (Not sure exactly what that meant but it didn't sound good!) I mentioned that would be difficult because we were still in the air 3 hours before but that we would run like crazy once we got off.

However, because of long lines at customs in Vancouver we were 2 hours late getting into LAX and then we had to pick up our luggage because AC couldn't tag it through to PPT. By the time we got our luggage it was already after 1pm. We took everything and went to the ATN check-in counter and they were able to get us on the 4.30 flight but a big part of that was because Princess had done our air and that this was not the day of the cruise leaving.

I am not sure if you will make it or not. 2 hours is a very tight connection. I thought we had plenty of time with 2.75 hours and look what happened to us. The line ups for security check of baggage was long (hopefully you won't have to worry about that if your luggage is tagged through) and ATN counter personnel don't move much faster than island speed!

I will hope for you a better experience travelling than we had. We didn't get flustered because we knew Princess would get us there and we had an extra couple days to play with.

This was our second time on the TP and each time Princess did our flights. Usually we do our own flights as you did. Our first trip the flight from PPT was late and we missed our connections out of LAX but Princess had other arrangements already made for us when we landed in LAX so it wasn't a bad experience either. and this trip we missed the connection to PPT and it was fixed immediately. I know this won't help you now, but I am just relating our experiences.

Good luck with your travels. You will enjoy the TP and the cruise.

Faye

Bsan1221 - Is there an earlier flight that you can go standby on? There probably isn't from Florida but, if there is you have a good chance of getting on since it's on the weekend. Everyone on these boards has gotten me so worried about my 2 1/2 hr. connection that we are going to go standby on the 6 a.m. flight from Denver which is wide open right now (1 week til we fly out). No one wants the 6 a.m. to LA on a weekend. I talked to the United agent and she said they can still check the bags all the way to PPT - so that's what we are going to do. If I were you I would be concerned especially if you are leaving on the day of your cruise. We are leaving a day early but have a non-refundable rate at the Intercontinental so we didn't want to lose out on that and the $$$! So, we'll have to get up 3 hours earlier now but it's worth it not to be worried. For what it's worth, we have already paid two times for Princess air deviations because the first time we had a connection through Salt Lake City and it was 50 min. (which worried me a little but it's a very small airport and the connection was in the same terminal wing). But, then it got changed so the connection was only 32 minutes! That freaked me out cause the luggage might not even make it on the plane. So, I called to have it changed and they still charged me again for the next deviation (even though the flight times had changed because it was still a "legal" connection). Then, we got this non-stop flight. Perfect (I thought) since the ATN lady said 2 1/2 hrs. would be enough. Apparently, not so. In other words, neither the Princess people who do the deviations, nor the reservationists really know what is going on and don't really think about your individual situation. So, I learned the hard way and now know to give PLENTY of time from now on.

Bsan1221 - Is there an earlier flight that you can go standby on? There probably isn't from Florida but, if there is you have a good chance of getting on since it's on the weekend. Everyone on these boards has gotten me so worried about my 2 1/2 hr. connection that we are going to go standby on the 6 a.m. flight from Denver which is wide open right now (1 week til we fly out). No one wants the 6 a.m. to LA on a weekend. I talked to the United agent and she said they can still check the bags all the way to PPT - so that's what we are going to do. If I were you I would be concerned especially if you are leaving on the day of your cruise. We are leaving a day early but have a non-refundable rate at the Intercontinental so we didn't want to lose out on that and the $$$! So, we'll have to get up 3 hours earlier now but it's worth it not to be worried. For what it's worth, we have already paid two times for Princess air deviations because the first time we had a connection through Salt Lake City and it was 50 min. (which worried me a little but it's a very small airport and the connection was in the same terminal wing). But, then it got changed so the connection was only 32 minutes! That freaked me out cause the luggage might not even make it on the plane. So, I called to have it changed and they still charged me again for the next deviation (even though the flight times had changed because it was still a "legal" connection). Then, we got this non-stop flight. Perfect (I thought) since the ATN lady said 2 1/2 hrs. would be enough. Apparently, not so. In other words, neither the Princess people who do the deviations, nor the reservationists really know what is going on and don't really think about your individual situation. So, I learned the hard way and now know to give PLENTY of time from now on.

I tried to find a stand by flight but am actually on the earliest flight which leaves FLL (Ft. Lauderdale airport) at 6:00 AM.

Other than that AA has flights all day long the day before. Am gonna check if I can do standby the day before.

I suppose I'm repeating myself here but I really would suggest you try to get to LAX the day before. That's what we are doing - we are flying out of Buffalo. We will have most of a day to relax at an airport hotel or tour around LA a bit, get adjusted to the time change and be at the airport plenty early the next morning for our 1 PM flight on ATN.

We were originally suppose to go back in December but there is another thread about the change so I won't go into it here. However, if you can possible go the day before at any time, even if it's a redeye flight, I would advise it. The stress is just too much.

From what everyone has said on here, I wouldn't want to be there any less than 3.5 hours and more if possible.

We are flying from Scotland and spending time in San Francisco before flying to LA to pick up ATN to Papeete. We had no idea of how things were at LAX until we read all the posts here on Cruise Critic, so have booked to fly to LA the day before, simply because of what other people have said about long lines, security etc.

Bsan, I think it would be worth it to pay the $160 to not miss your flight to Tahiti and possibly your cruise.

Its actually 480.00 additional I have to pay.

160.00 p/person to pay for the flight difference for flying in the day before.

50.00 p/ person to change tickets for AA

30.00 p/person to expedia for rebooking..

Am thinking I will pay the difference :( as much as it hurts to do it. :o *SIGH*

Bsan, you might be able to make it on 2 hours. I was on the TP in November and a group of three of us met up at LAX to do the ATN flight to Papeete. I flew in from San Luis Obispo and the other two came in on a flight from San Diego. I arrived around 10 a.m. on American and had my luggage checked all the way through to PPT. I then had to head from the AA terminal (terminal 4) to the International (Tom Bradley) Terminal right next door. The walk is about 5 minutes and then you have to navigate through the International Terminal to find the ATN desk. It's on the side of the building closest to the AA terminal you just walked from. I made the mistake of going all the way to the far end and had to walk back. Now, when you first walk in it's a mad house. You will see long lines of people waiting in security lines for other airline desks. But you have to walk toward the back of the terminal to find the ATN desk and it's on the right. I found their lines usually had no people in them and they have their own screening area if you are checking luggage there. But since you have checked your luggage through you don't have to mess with this. I was at the desk mayb 5-10 minutes before I got my boarding pass. Then they give you your gate number. It was now about 10:30 a.m.

From the ATN desk you are right next to the security check line to go to the gates. This line may look long but moves fast. Moves a lot faster than the one in the AA terminal coming home. Anyway, get in this line and you will probably get through in 15-25 minutes. We found our gate (almost 11) and waited about an hour before they loaded us on buses to take us to a tarmac and funny little terminal where the ATN plane was. It was noon or 12:15 that we got on this bus. They really pack you in like sardines. The bus ride is about 5 minutes and then you get out and walk into the terminal and up a ramp and right into the plane.

I really think that if your luggage is checked all the way through and you know where exactly to go when you get out of the AA terminal you will be able to make it to the gate in time for the bus to take you to the plane. Like others said, download and print the map of LAX and get to know the terminals. ATN is a very efficient and organized airline and once you find them it will go smooth and quick.

*s**, y** m**h* ** **** ** m*k* ** ** 2 h**rs** * w*s ** *h* *P ** ****m**r **d * *r**p ** *hr** ** *s m** *p ** **X ** d* *h* *** ****h* ** P*p****** * ***w ** *r*m S** ***s ***sp* **d *h* **h*r *w* **m* ** ** * ****h* *r*m S** D****** * *rr***d *r***d 10 ***m** ** *m*r**** **d h*d my ******* *h**k*d *** *h* w*y *hr***h ** PP*** * *h** h*d ** h**d *r*m *h* ** **rm**** (**rm**** 4) ** *h* ****r******** (**m *r*d**y) **rm**** r**h* **x* d**r** *h* w**k *s ***** 5 m*****s **d *h** y** h*** ** ******** *hr***h *h* ****r******** **rm**** ** ***d *h* *** d*sk** **'s ** *h* s*d* ** *h* ****d*** ***s*s* ** *h* ** **rm**** y** j*s* w**k*d *r*m** * m*d* *h* m*s**k* ** ***** *** *h* w*y ** *h* **r **d **d h*d ** w**k ***k** **w, wh** y** **rs* w**k ** **'s * m*d h**s*** Y** w*** s** **** ****s ** p**p** w****** ** s***r**y ****s **r **h*r **r**** d*sks** *** y** h*** ** w**k **w*rd *h* ***k ** *h* **rm**** ** ***d *h* *** d*sk **d **'s ** *h* r**h*** * ****d *h**r ****s *s****y h*d ** p**p** ** *h*m **d *h*y h*** *h**r *w* s*r****** *r** ** y** *r* *h**k*** ******* *h*r*** *** s**** y** h*** *h**k*d y**r ******* *hr***h y** d**'* h*** ** m*ss w**h *h*s** * w*s ** *h* d*sk m*y* 5-10 m*****s ****r* * *** my ***rd*** p*ss** *h** *h*y **** y** y**r **** **m**r** ** w*s **w ***** 10:30 ***m**

*r*m *h* *** d*sk y** *r* r**h* **x* ** *h* s***r**y *h**k **** ** ** ** *h* ****s** *h*s **** m*y ***k **** *** m***s **s*** M***s * *** **s**r *h** *h* *** ** *h* ** **rm**** **m*** h*m*** **yw*y, *** ** *h*s **** **d y** w*** pr*****y *** *hr***h ** 15-25 m*****s** W* ****d **r **** (**m*s* 11) **d w****d ***** ** h**r ****r* *h*y ***d*d *s ** **s*s ** **k* *s ** * **rm** **d ****y ****** **rm**** wh*r* *h* *** p**** w*s** ** w*s **** *r 12:15 *h** w* *** ** *h*s **s** *h*y r****y p**k y** ** **k* s*rd***s** *h* **s r*d* *s ***** 5 m*****s **d *h** y** *** *** **d w**k **** *h* **rm**** **d *p * r*mp **d r**h* **** *h* p******

* r****y *h**k *h** ** y**r ******* *s *h**k*d *** *h* w*y *hr***h **d y** k**w wh*r* *x****y ** ** wh** y** *** *** ** *h* ** **rm**** y** w*** ** **** ** m*k* ** ** *h* **** ** **m* **r *h* **s ** **k* y** ** *h* p****** **k* **h*rs s**d, d*w****d **d pr*** *h* m*p ** **X **d *** ** k**w *h* **rm****s** *** *s * **ry ********* **d *r******d **r**** **d **** y** ***d *h*m ** w*** ** sm***h **d q***k**

Bsan, you might be able to make it on 2 hours. I was on the TP in November and a group of three of us met up at LAX to do the ATN flight to Papeete. I flew in from San Luis Obispo and the other two came in on a flight from San Diego. I arrived around 10 a.m. on American and had my luggage checked all the way through to PPT. I then had to head from the AA terminal (terminal 4) to the International (Tom Bradley) Terminal right next door. The walk is about 5 minutes and then you have to navigate through the International Terminal to find the ATN desk. It's on the side of the building closest to the AA terminal you just walked from. I made the mistake of going all the way to the far end and had to walk back. Now, when you first walk in it's a mad house. You will see long lines of people waiting in security lines for other airline desks. But you have to walk toward the back of the terminal to find the ATN desk and it's on the right. I found their lines usually had no people in them and they have their own screening area if you are checking luggage there. But since you have checked your luggage through you don't have to mess with this. I was at the desk mayb 5-10 minutes before I got my boarding pass. Then they give you your gate number. It was now about 10:30 a.m.

From the ATN desk you are right next to the security check line to go to the gates. This line may look long but moves fast. Moves a lot faster than the one in the AA terminal coming home. Anyway, get in this line and you will probably get through in 15-25 minutes. We found our gate (almost 11) and waited about an hour before they loaded us on buses to take us to a tarmac and funny little terminal where the ATN plane was. It was noon or 12:15 that we got on this bus. They really pack you in like sardines. The bus ride is about 5 minutes and then you get out and walk into the terminal and up a ramp and right into the plane.

I really think that if your luggage is checked all the way through and you know where exactly to go when you get out of the AA terminal you will be able to make it to the gate in time for the bus to take you to the plane. Like others said, download and print the map of LAX and get to know the terminals. ATN is a very efficient and organized airline and once you find them it will go smooth and quick.

Thank you for the advice & your opinion. :D

I tried calling AA about stand-by but they told me am taking the earliest flight out that day so I can't.

I will RUN and PRAY I get on the plane. If not am hoping that I can get on the 4PM flight.

RUMRUNNER

Other posts lead me to believe that the security was before check-in. I would just like to confirm this with you. If baggage is checked through, go to ATN desk to check-in, then go to the security line! Having never gone through LAX I just would like to make sure.

Just a few helpful hints.

1. Since you have an AA flight, AA definitely should through check your bags. However, IF you have two tickets-Florida to LAX, LAX to Tahiti, AA does not have to do that. You must ask for through check on your luggage. If it is not checked through, the chances of making an international flight out of Tom Bradley (TBIT) in two hours is very slim. The lines for luggage at TBIT can be very long (it is MUCH worse after 6:00PM). The procedure at TBIT is very different from most airlines. You have to find the baggage check line for your airline FIRST. Your luggage will be screened and you AND your luggage will be escorted to the check-in counter. You will check-in, THEN go through security.

2. AA arrives terminal 4. ATN flies out of TBIT. When you exit terminal 4, simply go to your left. TBIT is the next terminal. MUCH faster to walk than take the shuttle (you have to go completely around the airport). It is a very short walk (5 minutes).

3. Call AA directly and ask about changing your flight into LAX. Yes, you will have to pay the difference in fare, BUT. Explain the circumstances and ASK for help resolving the problem. You may not have to pay the change fee (depending on who you talk to). And eliminates the Expedia fee. Your reservation is at AA, NOT Expedia (I hate Expedia).

4. RELAX-the 4:00PM flight, as of today, is wide open. As you can see by the fare classes, there are plenty of seats in all classes, except the cheapest, B, which is sold out. Did you know your 1:00PM flight is coming in from CDG (Paris)? I personally would rather be on the 4:00PM.

0 Connections

TN 21 LAX

04/16/06 04:10PM PPT

04/16/06 09:30PM 343 LS P6 J7 D1 Z2 I1 Y7 M7 K7 H7 T7 L3 W4 V7 Q6 B0

Just a few helpful hints.

1. Since you have an AA flight, AA definitely should through check your bags. However, IF you have two tickets-Florida to LAX, LAX to Tahiti, AA does not have to do that. You must ask for through check on your luggage. If it is not checked through, the chances of making an international flight out of Tom Bradley (TBIT) in two hours is very slim. The lines for luggage at TBIT can be very long (it is MUCH worse after 6:00PM). The procedure at TBIT is very different from most airlines. You have to find the baggage check line for your airline FIRST. Your luggage will be screened and you AND your luggage will be escorted to the check-in counter. You will check-in, THEN go through security.

2. AA arrives terminal 4. ATN flies out of TBIT. When you exit terminal 4, simply go to your left. TBIT is the next terminal. MUCH faster to walk than take the shuttle (you have to go completely around the airport). It is a very short walk (5 minutes).

3. Call AA directly and ask about changing your flight into LAX. Yes, you will have to pay the difference in fare, BUT. Explain the circumstances and ASK for help resolving the problem. You may not have to pay the change fee (depending on who you talk to). And eliminates the Expedia fee. Your reservation is at AA, NOT Expedia (I hate Expedia).

4. RELAX-the 4:00PM flight, as of today, is wide open. As you can see by the fare classes, there are plenty of seats in all classes, except the cheapest, B, which is sold out. Did you know your 1:00PM flight is coming in from CDG (Paris)? I personally would rather be on the 4:00PM.

0 Connections

TN 21 LAX

04/16/06 04:10PM PPT

04/16/06 09:30PM 343 LS P6 J7 D1 Z2 I1 Y7 M7 K7 H7 T7 L3 W4 V7 Q6 B0

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I tried to get my ATN flight changed to 4PM and told it is impossible.

I'll check again since you say its open.

What website did you go to?

Bsan....I can certainly understand what you're going through right now. I booked my flights last year 8 months in advance for our cruise this past November. We flew Buffalo to LAX, LAX on ATN to Tahiti. Our flight to LA was with AA. Originally we only had 2 hours to make our flight (I panicked as I learned more) Then, AA change our flights to LAX and we then had only 90 minutes to make our connections. I panicked even more and the cost to change the flights was too much. I called AA numerous times and they assured me everything would be fine but to make sure I got our luggage checked all the way to PPT. We were flying in the day before the cruise.

The day we left we got on the plane in buffalo no problem and then all of a sudden got delayed for 1 hour:eek: Needless to say I cried, then of course we missed our connection in Dallas. I cried again.

We arrived in LAX around 12:20pm:eek: and we ran. Yes AA lands at terminal 4 and it certainly is quicker to walk than take the shuttle. The smoker that I am....even managed to have a few puffs in between the 2 terminals. We got to the check in no time. ( they were a bit concerned about our luggage) we filled out forms in case our luggage had to be sent on the next flight. At that point I really didn't care about my luggage, I just wanted to go to Tahiti. Not far from the check in was the security check, got through there in no time and before we knew it we were sitting on the plane.

Much to our surprise, we got to PPT and so did our luggage.

It's a tough decision to make and I wish you the best. Do you have a direct flight to LAX from FLL. or is there a connection somewhere?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

I tried to get my ATN flight changed to 4PM and told it is impossible.

I'll check again since you say its open.

What website did you go to?

ATN will NOT change your flight without change fees, additional fare, etc.-whatever is applicable. HOWEVER, if you luggage does NOT get checked through AND you feel you may have a problem making the flight, have the ATN phone number programmed into your phone. Call THE minute you get off the flight from Florida if you feel you have problems. Let ATN know where you are, what the schedule is, etc. And MAKE sure you get names!!! Then ask to be transferred to the 4:00PM flight. Make sure you call at least 1 hour before your flight to Tahiti. They could cancel your reservations, due to being an international flight with usually 1 hour gate closeout. Main thing is communication.

I am in the logistics business and our company has three paid databases we use. That is where I got the information. Not available as a website. But if you send me an email the day before your flight to remind me, greatam@earthlink.net, I will check the latest availability. Enjoy!!!

ATN will NOT change your flight without change fees, additional fare, etc.-whatever is applicable. HOWEVER, if you luggage does NOT get checked through AND you feel you may have a problem making the flight, have the ATN phone number programmed into your phone. Call THE minute you get off the flight from Florida if you feel you have problems. Let ATN know where you are, what the schedule is, etc. And MAKE sure you get names!!! Then ask to be transferred to the 4:00PM flight. Make sure you call at least 1 hour before your flight to Tahiti. They could cancel your reservations, due to being an international flight with usually 1 hour gate closeout. Main thing is communication.

I am in the logistics business and our company has three paid databases we use. That is where I got the information. Not available as a website. But if you send me an email the day before your flight to remind me, greatam@earthlink.net, I will check the latest availability. Enjoy!!!

Thanks for being so great!! :D

Bsan....I can certainly understand what you're going through right now. I booked my flights last year 8 months in advance for our cruise this past November. We flew Buffalo to LAX, LAX on ATN to Tahiti. Our flight to LA was with AA. Originally we only had 2 hours to make our flight (I panicked as I learned more) Then, AA change our flights to LAX and we then had only 90 minutes to make our connections. I panicked even more and the cost to change the flights was too much. I called AA numerous times and they assured me everything would be fine but to make sure I got our luggage checked all the way to PPT. We were flying in the day before the cruise.

The day we left we got on the plane in buffalo no problem and then all of a sudden got delayed for 1 hour:eek: Needless to say I cried, then of course we missed our connection in Dallas. I cried again.

We arrived in LAX around 12:20pm:eek: and we ran. Yes AA lands at terminal 4 and it certainly is quicker to walk than take the shuttle. The smoker that I am....even managed to have a few puffs in between the 2 terminals. We got to the check in no time. ( they were a bit concerned about our luggage) we filled out forms in case our luggage had to be sent on the next flight. At that point I really didn't care about my luggage, I just wanted to go to Tahiti. Not far from the check in was the security check, got through there in no time and before we knew it we were sitting on the plane.

Much to our surprise, we got to PPT and so did our luggage.

It's a tough decision to make and I wish you the best. Do you have a direct flight to LAX from FLL. or is there a connection somewhere?

I wish I had a direct flight.

I go from FLL to TX . From TX to LAX.

I checked the routes and it looks like these flights made it on time the last 3 days.

Betty, I hope everything works out for you. The flight, or getting to the flight portion of a cruise is the one that always has me worried. Last year was the first time that we flew the same day as the ships departure but I didn't worry because the flight was at midnight and the ship didn't leave until 5pm. Well, as you know, anything can happen and a couple members of the flight crew decided not to show up and they almost had to cancel the flight. After a 2.5 hour delay, they were able to round up a couple of crew members and we were on our way...but I was a bit worried at that point. This year we just have to get to LAX for our flight to Tahiti and I'm debating how many hours to allow for that darn morning traffic. I don't want to sit around all morning in the airport but I don't want to be late either. You can really over think this if you're not careful. Anyway, I hope you make your flight on time.

RUMRUNNER

Other posts lead me to believe that the security was before check-in. I would just like to confirm this with you. If baggage is checked through, go to ATN desk to check-in, then go to the security line! Having never gone through LAX I just would like to make sure.

Dan, when I walked into that Int'l terminal at LAX it was a mad house. Right as soon as you walk in at each door you see super long lines, sometimes going outside the door of people waiting to get screened. Most people have luggage and some do not. At first I thought I had to go through this line before going to the ATN desk to get my boarding pass. But I started wandering around and seeing people walking past these check points to get to desks beyond these security points. I thought I'd give it a try as all I had with me was my carry on (luggage checked all the way through to PPT with AA). I walked past these security areas to the ATN desk and saw they had their own luggage screening (for those whose start point was LAX and had checked luggage with them). I went right up to the desk and checked in and got my boarding pass. Then right past the ATN desk was shopping and the line to go on up to Security to get to the gates.

So, to make my long story short, I bypassed that initial security up front when you first walk into the Int'l terminal. I wonder if this security check right up front is for one of the airlines with a desk near the entry of the terminal. So pass this area and head right to ATN and get checked in. Then just beyond them is the line for security to get to the gates. It's frantic in there so stay sharp until you get to the gate and then you can start to relax!

Amy

Dan, when I walked into that Int'l terminal at LAX it was a mad house. Right as soon as you walk in at each door you see super long lines, sometimes going outside the door of people waiting to get screened. Most people have luggage and some do not. At first I thought I had to go through this line before going to the ATN desk to get my boarding pass. But I started wandering around and seeing people walking past these check points to get to desks beyond these security points. I thought I'd give it a try as all I had with me was my carry on (luggage checked all the way through to PPT with AA). I walked past these security areas to the ATN desk and saw they had their own luggage screening (for those whose start point was LAX and had checked luggage with them). I went right up to the desk and checked in and got my boarding pass. Then right past the ATN desk was shopping and the line to go on up to Security to get to the gates.

So, to make my long story short, I bypassed that initial security up front when you first walk into the Int'l terminal. I wonder if this security check right up front is for one of the airlines with a desk near the entry of the terminal. So pass this area and head right to ATN and get checked in. Then just beyond them is the line for security to get to the gates. It's frantic in there so stay sharp until you get to the gate and then you can start to relax!

Amy

The long lines you saw when you first entered TBIT are the checked LUGGAGE security lines. As I previously posted, you have to have your luggage checked and THEN you AND your luggage are escorted to the check-in counter. These lines are ONLY for checked luggage.

If you are coming from another flight and your luggage is checked through to PPT, you can go directly to the airline check in desk. Otherwise, you MUST find the line for YOUR airline, have your check in luggage screened and be escorted to your airline. You are NOT allowed to touch your luggage after it has been screened. So if it is overweight when you check in and need to rearrange stuff, you will have to go back to the LONG line and have your luggage rechecked.

TBIT is a true pain. Make sure you have your ducks in a row before you get to the terminal. Passport available, NO overweight luggage, e-ticket available, etc., etc., etc.

Patience is truly needed at TBIT. But there is a decent restaurant/bar on the second floor and Mickey D's if needed.

I guess I lucked out in more ways than one. When we got to the TBIT there were no lines at all. We walked in the door and look ahead and saw the ATN check in and very few people in line for security check. Mind you we certainly weren't the only ones still boarding the plane either.

Hey Amy, how have you been. It's starting to feel like a long time since Tahiti.

Archived