Seattle - Family Friendly Recommendations

Icantswimaway

Going to Seattle for a couple of days before cruise.  Been there a few times but this time with a toddler.  Anyone have suggestions besides Space Needle/Pike Place Market? I will gladly accept recommendations on budget friendly restaurants as well. Thank you 🙂

I would go to the Seattle Center where the Children's Museum is located (in addition to the Space Needle, the Armory food court, Chihuly glass, the Pacific Science Center, etc open grassy areas and some outside play areas).  Museum is open Tues - Sunday

The Children's Museum would be perfect for your toddler.  And you can ride the monorail to get there!

www.thechildrensmuseum.org

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
additional info

I like the Seattle CityPass. We used it with 3 kids last summer when family came to visit. What kind of cuisine are you looking for? You can catch a free shuttle that runs from International District/Pike Market/Space Needle.

I haven't been in a long time, but back when my son was pre-school to school age we had a membership to the Pacific Science Center at Seattle Center.  Lots of interactive exhibits Typically had a weekly outing there, lots of child friendly exhibits.  We were there so often I'd pack us a lunch, but there are lots of food options in the food court.  

Not sure what part of town is convenient to you, but if you are in the area of the Seattle Center - Citizen Coffee Creperie has a good assortment of savory & sweet crepes all day, also sandwiches, soup, salad etc & they are reasonable.  

Was half kicking around the idea of Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, sort of a kitschy tourist trap on the waterfront, but it might be better for school age kids.  Lots of interesting & random things to look at, but Sylvester could be too scary for a  toddler & all the tempting souvenirs at hand level could spell a stressful outing for parents.    Self play (coin op) pianos, fake mermaids hanging from the ceiling, fortune telling machine etc.

Nearby there is also the Aquarium, with some hands on petting exhibits.    

Some more ideas:  https://santorinidave.com/seattle-with-kids

I live in Seattle, so here are my suggestions for what it's worth.  Go in knowing Seattle is super expensive - our food prices have gone off the rails. It's obnoxious!  

Fun things to do with kids - the aquarium down on the waterfront. Take a ferry ride - even if you don't get off, the Bremerton run is about an hour to and then back. It's always fun to be out on the water.  The Children's Museum, Pacific Science Center and Chihuly Museum are great.  There's also the Olympic Sculpture Park near the waterfront and it's free.

You'd need a car or you could take a Uber/Lyft to the Hiram Chittenden Locks, which is great.  You can watch all the boats going through the locks, watch the fish at the fish ladder and there is a beautiful park you can walk through too.  There are nice restaurants nearby.  

The Woodland Park Zoo is a great option - world class zoo.  There's also a rose garden (it's free) right next to the zoo and it's beautiful. Great paths to walk, park benches and fountains. A hidden treasure in the city.  The Asian Art Museum on Capitol Hill and the Seattle Art Museum are treasures.  The MOHAI - Museum of HIstory and Industry is a great visit.  The International District is fun and stopping at the awesome Asian grocery store and gift market Uwajimaya's is a blast.  Great food and reasonable too!

As for eating out, Ballard and Fremont have a lot of food trucks and those can be quite reasonable.  Depending on where you're staying, you can always pick up some groceries at a grocery store.

Enjoy your stay in the Emerald City!

Edited by PrincessE