QM2 Labor Day Cruise

planetcadillac

Just received todays mail.

Would you believe I just got my Cunard World Club card? :D

See, things are looking up already.

Ab and Brightwaters - don't forget to come have a Holiday drink with us in the Commodore Club. We will be toasting to Birthdays, Anniversaries, Long weekends and anything else that comes to mind.

However, we will not snap our fingers or clink on our glasses for service.:eek:

After all, I am a refined lady from the South. (South Brooklyn);)

Smiles,

Maria

Hi Everyone and Happy Friday,

Just wanted you all to know I called Cunard today. Asked who do I notify in Cruise Relations about our cc group and its' numbers (over 30 and growing!) and would they arrange anything special for us?:confused:

I was referred to On Board Services, and given a fax number and a mailing address. I will compose my request and fax it tomorrow.:)

Also, I will be posting our updated cc list on the Roll Call thread tomorrow.

Check it out on:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t-361456

If I miss someone, or put someone on the list who should not be there, please let me know.

We sail 6 weeks from tomorrow!:D

Smiles,

Maria

Hi Everyone and Happy Friday,

Just wanted you all to know I called Cunard today. Asked who do I notify in Cruise Relations about our cc group and its' numbers (over 30 and growing!) and would they arrange anything special for us?:confused:

I was referred to On Board Services, and given a fax number and a mailing address. I will compose my request and fax it tomorrow.:)

Also, I will be posting our updated cc list on the Roll Call thread tomorrow.

Check it out on:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t-361456

If I miss someone, or put someone on the list who should not be there, please let me know.

We sail 6 weeks from tomorrow!:D

Smiles,

Maria

Maria,

You may have to take two people OFF of the list. We spent the weekend in Maine.(This was a last minute trip- Marc's brother called Thursday night while I was working til 10:00 to tell us that their father was up at the camps in Maine and they were trhowing a cookout Saturday for his birthday (which is tomorrow) Well, We drove up there 5 1/2 hours in rain and horrible fog) right after work on Friday. We got up there, and DJ, Marc's brother, tells me that we're going to have to cancel the cruise for them, and HE would have known from the beginning that his father would never go- wouldn't wan't to leave his home and his chair, and...well, you know. I almost think DJ talked him out of it. I am so angry and so upset. I don't think I can take one mroe disappointment this month... or this year. Sorry, I shouldn't be writing this probably. It's just that I feel like I am among friends here. Friends who understand what crusing means, and how excited I was when Jean (his wife) brought up, out of the clear blue, that she had sailed on the QE2 and wanted to sail the QM2 and saw something recently about a four day cruise, etc. etc. etc.. I felt like this was kismet! A sign from the cruising gods! She didn't know we were going, or even that I was a travel agent. Even after I booked it for them, they thought I had called MY travel agent! (See, I told you I don't usually tell people!)

I am going to try to call Jean tomorrow. I think Marc's Dad is a lot like him, in that if their women don't take the bull by the horns and make the plans, they would turn into rocks in front of the TV set (Marc watching Sci Fi and flipping channels, his Dad watching golf and flipping channels!) OTOH, His Dad has MG- Myesthenia Gravis. His stamina isn't what it once was. He had a rough time flying up from Florida to come to Maine- navigating the airport and so on (I know just what he means- I love flying, and I have come to hate anythig to do with commercial flying any more) Oh, I should mention. DJ claims his dad can't go because he had A "Flare up" up of MG. Of course this, after he had taken his dad golfing and his Dad was tired after about three holes. Hmm, maybe he is miffed about the golf game and thinks his Dad can't handle the cruise because of it. After all, it's not like you have to do that much walking on the ship. Our cabins are amidship, close to the Britannia dining room. There's only one port, and he doesn't have to leave the ship if he doesn't want to. He can take meals in the cabin for that matter, and sit out on his balcony! He loved going out on the boat on the lake with us today. Not totally easy getting on and off, but no worse than me! (climbing into and out of a small boat from the dock)

Well, anyway,

I explained that he had air and transfers through Cunard- all he needed to do was bring his bags over to the cunard Rep and get on the bus. Once at the ship, give the bags straight from the bus to a porter, and get in line for your ID card. But Knowing Cunard lately...

I don't know. What do people think about whether it might be too much for someone with MG (Whcih I know nothing about- I guess I will start looking it up)?

Speaking of Cunard and transfers...

Did I ever mention I once booked air (with transfers) through Cunard, specifically because the previous year I collapsed physically in the Ft Lauderdale airport (heat, exhuastion trying to juggle luggage) We got off the ship in San Jaun, got through customs (our luggage was all over this huge cavernous warehouse-like area) and found that no one had come to get us or our luggage to the airport. And we had not kept much cash for the trip home, since we wouldn't be needing it, and now had no way to get us, our copious amount of luggage and what-not to the terminal! We poolled money and managed to get there with another couple in the same predicament, but it was not easy. this was before I became a travel agent,or even knew much about how things were done. in fact, I should go back and find those tickets (Of course I saved them!) And see what they said. For some reason I think if you got your air through them, transfers were automatic back then and not an extra charge. It was tacit. But you didn't have an extra "ticket" to hand in. Cunard took you right over to the bus and knew who they had on their manifest. (Of course back then, you just point to your luggage and they took it off the carousel and you didn't see it again til you were in your cabin... which you were taken to by a steward,, and no, he did not have his hand out when you got there.)

<sigh>

Karie,

who is exhausted and disappointed.. once again.

Hi All,

Received my tickets today for the Labor Day cruise.:D

Anyone else get their tickets?

Maria - who is all grins today!

Karie, Hang in there. I am sure this situation will work its' way out.

I got mine today, too, though not Marc's Dad's and Jean's. They have air included, so theirs comes later.

I had a long talk with Jean today.

We'll talk later in the week, after he gets home tomorrow, but I suspect they are going to end up cancelling. To tell you the truth, with Cunard's track record lately, I would not want to promise them they would be taken care of at the airport and then have Cunard pull a boner, like so many times we have heard of. Plus, I don't think he could take a long queue at the terminal, were he to be unfortunate enough to get there at the wrong time. He isn't Grill class, so he would have to stand in line with the rest of us plebes and common folk.

Even Marc mentioned tonight- Having to deal with a tiny cabin (by the standards of what he is used to) might be a problem, even with a Balcony. HE gets antsy sometimes. And forgetful. I would have to hang a tag round his neck that says- "IF lost, please return me to cabin 6044" (OR whatever- I'd have to look up their cabin number) Wait- ours is 6144, so I think theirs is 6140.

So Anyway, I will also be making ME a tag that says "If found return me to cabin 6144 or the Brittania Restaurant, if dinner time; or the Pub if Trivia Time; or the Commodore Club if late evening. Otherwise. just give me a mojito and sit me down facing the water anywhere!

Karie,

Who would sit and watch the waves for hours, easily.

Archived