QM2 Labor Day Cruise

planetcadillac

Hello Marie,

Glad to have you on board. So you live in Brooklyn, can you tell me which airport is closest to Red Hook. I will try to arrange the flights into that one.

Please keep us abreast as to how things are going with the new port come spring. We all would be interested I'm sure.

KIM

Hi everyone--glad to have found this thread. We usually cruise Celebrity (have a 14 day Hawaii coming up in March) & sometimes Royal but wanted to try this ship. Halifax is such a great city--hopefully weather will be in our favor. We did a 10/11 day cruise on Constellation two yrs ago in late sept to Quebec & halifax was one of our fav ports--our weather was ideal...

So for those with insider tips--how can we do it all in such a short trip--want to see the planetarium, do a day at the spa, tea, nightlife etc etc...Do we book everythig we want as soon as we board? How early can we board?

Has anyone stayed in an Atrium view room...that's all we could afford. I assume it will be assigned tables in the dining room--we are early seating! I am excited!

Hi again,

Kim-I don't recall where you are flying from, but LaGuardia airport in Queens is closer to Red Hook than Newark. A taxi from the airport will take the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway will take you right to the pier and take about 30 minutes to an hourt depending on traffic. Sorry, I have no idea how much the taxi ride will cost. Also, a taxi from Kennedy airport will take about the same amount of time also depending on time of day and traffic. If you fly into Newark, you will have to come a short way through New Jersey then through Staten Island into Brooklyn. That involves two bridges and lots of traffic to deal with.

Hcat - All passengers except for suites eat in the Britania restaurant. When you book the trip you are usually asked your preferance for early or late seating and how big a table you wish to be seated at (2, 4, 6 or 8 people).

Hope this info helps.

Maria Elena

Hi Everyone,

Just booked this cruise also. Was on the QM2 12 day from 1/3 to 1/15 and had a great time. Lots of things to do and see.

The Red Hook pier is coming along nicely. Really not hard to get to at all from Manhattan. Taxi from Manhattan should cost about $35.00 + tip. By Sept. all the kinks should be worked out with getting to the terminal from airports etc.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Maria Elena

Welcome to Cruise Critic Boards, Maria!

Good to have you aboard.

Maria was my Trivia partner on our recent voage! A smart cookie!

And yes, I am trying to see my way clear to book this trip! Gotta pay off this one first! You early retired folks have nothing better to do than cruise the seven seas. Us working stiffs, We have to work for a living. They actually expect us to BE HERE one or two months out of the year! HMMPH! <LOL>

Thanks for the insider tips on Red Hook. Sounds like they have been making improvements.

Karie,

Glad to have Maria with us! (Marc says hi!)

Maria

If you fly into Newark, you don't have to go through Staten Island to get to Red Hook. You would go through the Holland Tunnel and then go over the Brooklyn Bridge or the Manhattan Bridge and Red Hook is right there. The only toll you would pay would be through the tunnel, as the other bridges are free.

Thanks for info on the dining arrangements. We booked early seating--table for 8--seems a good size since we are just the two of us this trip. What is that area of Brooklyn like these days---we will probabaly get a limo from Long Island but if they had decent parking that could be an option. Nice that we are leaving from NY--no air flight involved for this trip.

I am assuming that since this is a short cruise the cruiseline will not offer a free party to cc posters (like they do on Celeb). Maybe we can meet for a sailway toast. Nice to put a face to the names.....

PS. For those interested in the Titanic--when we were there our tour had an added stop at the cemetery where victims are buried. It sounded morbid at first but was very tastefully done & added to the drama of the story & what we learned about it. Halifax is rich in history. There is a great online tour that is offered by a local historian. If anyone wants to see it, I will search for the web address...it covered everything & lots of photos . We took a Celeb excursion & saw the public gardens, Titanic burial area, Citadel and many other wonderful places...then spent the afternoon on our own exploring the historic area & waterfront. It''s all fresh in my mind because I am just now completing our photo album from that cruise--9/04

Maria and Marshall,

Sorry, I never traveled from Newark airport that way. It sure gives people a lot of options.

By the way, did anyone else get the mailing from Cunard about a monument dedication to Sir Samuel Cunard to be unveiled on the Halifax Harbour front? It does't indicate a date. It just says the fall of 2006. I wonder if it will happen when we are there.

I'm all for the idea of meeting for drinks. Just pick a place and time and I'm there.

Maria

Maria and Marshall,

By the way, did anyone else get the mailing from Cunard about a monument dedication to Sir Samuel Cunard to be unveiled on the Halifax Harbour front? It does't indicate a date. It just says the fall of 2006. I wonder if it will happen when we are there.

Maria

Just got the Cunarder in the mail today.

There's a bit in there about Halifax's maritime Museum of the Atlantic inducting the Commodore into the museums inaugural Admiralty Circle and unveiling a restored ship model of the Franconia. (What? he got another promotion? To Admiral? Just kidding!

This musems sounds like a marvelous place to visit while ashore!

BTW, Just read the chapter in John Maxtone Grahams's book on the QM2 on the Cunards and how they came to be, why they moved to Halifax and all. Pretty interesting story!

Karie,

Still hoping to do the Labor dy, though it sounds like it is filling fast. 3 more and We are PLATINUM! (will have to start dying may hair blue so as to not stickout at the Captain's Platinum cocktail party!)

Hello, we have dug out from the snow here on LI. Hope everyone else did OK if you were in the snow area. I received a nice brochure about the spa on board--has anyone used their services? Does the T pool get crowded? Not much time on a short cruise but we do have two sea days!

Hi Cool Cruiser,

I used the spa salon a few times on the 1/3 to 1/15 cruise. Only for hair, but several people I met on the cruise enjoyed the massages and exercise equipment.

On sea days is the perfect time to make an appointment for the things you are interested in. But don't wait for the last minute. This cruise seems to be selling out quickly.

My suggestion: When you board the ship, make time to go and look at the spa. If you are interested in a service, make your appointment. If you change your mind, you can always cancel. I do not believe there is a cancellation fee.

Maria

Does Cunard have a person onboard that you can book future Cunard Cruises, much like Royal Carribean?

Yes, always, on every Cunard cruise I've ever been on (5) Two of them on the last one! And you get 5% off of whatever other deals you can find, if you book while on board. And if you booked your present cruise through a travel agent, they will automatically assign the booking to your travel agent.

What I cannot tell you is if you are eleigble for all of the other deals which are out there at the time of booking. I have heard not always.

Karie- Who remembers always on the alternating Eastern and Western Caribbeans, on the old Cunard Crown line- they ALWAYS offered a big discount if you stayed on for the next cruise- back-to-back (Unless it was sold out)

Travel-to-Go

Thanks for the information. We are thinking about a back-to-back next Spring. At what point do they offer the big discount on the return cruise? While on board?

Actually, this was on the old Cunard Crown Line. I'm not sure about B2Bs on crossings. Or whether they are still doing this when there ARE B2Bs elsewhere. One thing I did notice, however. You get a 5% discount when you book on board. Well, once you've sailed once with Cunard, you are automatically a Silver World Club member. (And if you are on board, that makes you an automatic member- Although there is a disclaimer about 4 day cruises or less) Usually World club members (With some exceptions) get 5% off of EBS (Early Booking Savings) rates. So, one would have to assume that would usually be the case. It's not a definite, and subject to change at any time, of course. And it would have to be within the early booking window (which THEY decide when that is, and can extend it at will, if they so choose.- It's all in the teeny tiny script at the bottom of the brochure rate pages) And of course, if you have your heart set on doing a back to back, I wouldn't chance, on a popular itinerary or date, it already being full. If that's what you want, I would ask your travel agent (or Cunard reservations if you book directly) about discounts for booking back-to-back. And it's never a bad idea to check more than once. Things change, depending on how sales are going on a particular trip.

And of course, everything is always subject to change! <G>

Karie,

who sometimes wonders if Central Reservations has a dartboard they use to determine today's rates!

Thanks for all the info from frequent Cunard cruisers--I think I will book something at the spa & also enjoy the T pool. Our cruise is short but that's something I enjoy...hope it won't be too crowded with others having the same idea. Can you give me the idea of what to expect for evening dress. Are all nights dressy or one or two more formal??? Thanks

• 1 month later...

Just back from a 14 day cruise on Celeb Summit to Hawaii--it was very enjoyable-- great cabin, excellent cuisine & lovely ports. We also lucked out with the weather as well. Is there anything new about this cruise? It will be nice for us to try another cruse line.

• 1 month later...

Archived