Please help cruiser with limited tech expertise!

JeanieCM

On previous cruises, I have registered my kindle when buying the ship's internet services.  On our cruise

next month, I'd like to register my phone for the ship's internet services instead.  I will only be accessing

it to interact with Facebook and Messenger and hopefully, to post pictures.

My question is:  can someone tell me exactly what settings to use on my i-phone to ensure that I'm not

racking up bills?  I've heard that I keep airplane mode ON and turn cellular data OFF, and then would be

able to both take photos & post them through FB while on the ship.  Is this correct?  

13 minutes ago, JeanieCM said:

On previous cruises, I have registered my kindle when buying the ship's internet services.  On our cruise

next month, I'd like to register my phone for the ship's internet services instead.  I will only be accessing

it to interact with Facebook and Messenger and hopefully, to post pictures.

My question is:  can someone tell me exactly what settings to use on my i-phone to ensure that I'm not

racking up bills?  I've heard that I keep airplane mode ON and turn cellular data OFF, and then would be

able to both take photos & post them through FB while on the ship.  Is this correct?  

While I have an android and not an i-phone, I'm pretty sure the steps will be the same. 

1. Set airplane mode to ON. This will turn off both Cell Service and Wi-Fi. 
  2. Manually set Wi-Fi to On.
  3. I'd also turn data roaming to Off, if possible, so that if you do happen to get connected to a Cell Tower, you won't be trying to use any data. 

If all your going to do is Facebook, you might be able to get by with the lowest tier plan (Social?). I'm not sure if that gets you messenger access, as since I need real email/web access I go with the middle tier (Surf).

Cheers, 

Edited by drowelf