What type of window, Volendam Cat. E, Dolphin Deck

Moogy

Since Dolphin is the bottom floor of the Volendam, are the windows in Cat. E oceanview cabins actually full windows, or tiny portholes? We want to be able to see outside, since my elderly dad might need to spend a good bit of time in the room. Another issue will be whether you can see well from a chair, or whether you have to stand to look out.

I tried the Holland American website and the www.cruisedeckplans.com site without getting any help on this issue.

This is for an Alaska cruise.

Also, is it true you get less motion sickness on the lower floors? I am extremely prone to motion sickness, and I imagine I will be taking meds all week.

Thanks, Moogy

Can't help with your first question as I'm a closet dweller.

As for feeling the motion, yes, you feel it less on lower decks than on higher---also, midship from both forward to aft and port to starboard. The closer to mid ship on all three axis has the smallest amount of motion.

Enjoy Alaska---it's one of the most beautiful places I've cruised to. As a matter of fact, I'm going back this summer!

You might want to explore ways to have your Dad enjoy the scenery from outside decks. The air tastes good---if that makes any sense.

Moogy,

Your window in a category E cabin on Dolphin deck should be the same as the one pictured in answer to a question about furniture placement on another of your threads. I think the one shown was on Main deck. If you can find a picture of the Volendam or Zaandam you will notice two rows of rectangular windows in the blue-painted area of the ship's hull, just below the lower promenade deck. The lower row of rectangular windows is the Dolphin deck.

If you choose an E cabin on Dolphin deck that is just forward of the mid-ship staircase you should have the most stable ride possible. I was in D2611 on Main Deck and felt very little motion.

Of course, no one can predict the kind of seas you will encounter on your trip. You will be smart to take a bonine or similar every day at bedtime starting the night before you board. That way you should be able to avoid sea sickness until you get your sea legs.

Thanks, that is very helpful. Before I posted, I looked and looked and could not find an exterior view of the ship that was big enough to see the lower windows!

I like the room and the window (in the photo you mentioned), and if my dad feels the need to save $ and thus skip the balcony cabin, then we will go for oceanview, even on the lowest deck!

Thanks again for taking the time to help a newbie!:)

Archived