Rotterdam pool question

swmrgrl

Hello, Luckly you have asked about a ship that I have sailed on. The Rotterdam has two pools both are about the same size and have about the same hours during the day. Usually the pool opens at about 7:00AM or a little ealier but that depends on the safety staff and what time they can get the netting off of the pool. Sometimes if the seas are to rough they will not open the pools at all but that is really rare. Back the where you can find the pools. Holland America Line likes to have their main pool on Lido deck and it is usually have an open roof. Sometiems if it two windy, cold, or raining they will close the roof so people can enjoy their time better on the Lido deck. The one on the aft of the ship is always in the open. The size of the pools is not that large, I would have to say that they might be about 20feet long by 12 feet wide. They are usually about 6 feet deep but this can depend on how much the boat is rolling that day. As you can know the liquid is fluid and always in motion. So if you are trying to do laps I would say that the pool is not that big enough to do that. If you have been on other ships like Ryndam, Maasdam, Statendam, there pool is in proportion to the ones on Rotterdam. Enjoy your crusie and you can always post another question and I would be happy to answer them.

This may vary based on itinerary, but in my experience the pools on the Rotterdam aren't open late. They close about 7:00 PM, or so.

It might be because I tend to take longer cruises to cold-water places, but I don't find the pool is ever busy. Neither are the hot tubs!

I'm bringing along some swimcordz which need to attach to something solid - stair rails...a pole? Is there something close to the water? What I'm bringing is a special set of stretchy cords that attach around my waist and to a non-moving object. This way you have resistance and basically swim in place. I would be doing this during non-peak times. Which pool would be better suited for this? Our cabin is on the vavigation deck and it looks like there is a small pool on this floor, but the one on the Lido appears slightly larger.

If I were you I'd use the Lido pool. I wouldn't attach anything to the stair rails as that could interfere with others trying to use them. In the Lido pool there is a sculpture with a kind of railing around it. You could probably attach to that.

Thanks. I don't know how many people will be in the pool as we are doing the South America cruise in March. I understand the weather can be a little on the cool side when cruising.

The Lido pool has a dome cover---perfect for swimming in all types of weather. A few people will use the pool, but it won't get crowded.

I did the Rio to Valparaiso (via Antarctica) cruise four years ago. The weather goes from way too hot to way too cold and back again. I've also been north of the Artic Circle several times. It's a kick to be in the pool looking out at hanging glaciers and icebergs.

Archived