Greenland shore excursions

giraf4

Thank you so much for your reply. We didn't know if it would get to you .😀

We really enjoyed your review and wanted to get your perspective being you've been to Greenland.

Greenland has been a bucket list of ours. We will be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

If you don't mind would you answer some other questions please.

We will cruise to 3 Greenland ports ( Nuuk, Qaqortoq, Nanortalik

I believe you visited all except Nuuk?

What would you suggest as excursions? 

1) Nuuk - we reseserved a 2 hour Wildlife Safari boat tour through the ship.

2) Qaqortoq - we have an Iceberg Safari in a RIB reserved with sagalands. From what we've read, most people just walk around town, take photos, look for stone etchings...). Being we're doing the boat tour in Nuuk, wondering if it would be better to do our own thing, walk around...?

3) Nanortalik - we don't have anything planned. Maybe hike to the lake?

We will be there in August. Wonder if we'll see Northern Lights or Polar Bears. Wishful thinking! 

We also read about mosquitoes and needing nets for your hat?

We really do appreciate your information and suggestions.

Thank you very much!!

Tina

Can only comment on Qaqortog as we missed the other one due to wether. Everyone wondered around town which was great. Local students were all over the town answering questions and practicing their English (which was excellent!). If I remember there is a museum, store and school and other buildings. The hillside carvings are wonderful. Up the hill is a grocery, variety store. Oh, and Greenland t-shirts to buy in abundance! We really enjoyed our visit there!

On 5/6/2023 at 10:05 PM, stwbear said:

Nanortalik - we don't have anything planned. Maybe hike to the lake?

You haven't asked me, but I posted earlier in this thread, having cruised to Greenland. See my comment No. 17 above about Nanortalik, which is lovely, a great place for walking around.  The Open Air Museum is a don't miss.  And if the local choir is offering a performance while you are there, that's worth the time as well.  

On 5/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, janetcbl said:

Can only comment on Qaqortog as we missed the other one due to wether. Everyone wondered around town which was great. Local students were all over the town answering questions and practicing their English (which was excellent!). If I remember there is a museum, store and school and other buildings. The hillside carvings are wonderful. Up the hill is a grocery, variety store. Oh, and Greenland t-shirts to buy in abundance! We really enjoyed our visit there!

Thank you for the suggestions. Really appreciate it. Excited about going to Greenland 😀

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You haven't asked me, but I posted earlier in this thread, having cruised to Greenland. See my comment No. 17 above about Nanortalik, which is lovely, a great place for walking around.  The Open Air Museum is a don't miss.  And if the local choir is offering a performance while you are there, that's worth the time as well.  

Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions. It sounds like a really unique place to visit.

We are very excited. We'll be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary. 

I agree about grocery stores and markets in general.  A great window into life.  Particularly with an eye towards what things cost.  I think a chance to me young folks so they can practice their English sounds like a great experience, too.