Solstice Family Veranda Deck 7 for Alaska Cruise

AnnaNicole

Has anyone sailed in either of the family verandas on deck 7 forward?   (deck 8 is sold out)

I am curious as to whether these cabins are good for Alaska sailings.   There is a balcony and two very large windows.   The windows might be very nice for views, especially if it is too cold on the balcony.  

It appears if the balconies might have slight obstruction from the ship's infrastructure.    Is that true?

Would this be a better balcony for scenery than the larger angled hump balconies?

Any insight would be appreciated.  🙂

I have only sailed on the M class ships and I am more familiar with their cabins and balconies.

Edited by AnnaNicole

We sailed last May had a sunset Balcony it was amazing seen all the scenery captain went above and beyond ...Lucked out weather was so nice we slept with door open most nights...got blankets and sat out with hot drinks watched the glacier full circle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AnnaNicole said:

Has anyone sailed in either of the family verandas on deck 7 forward?   (deck 8 is sold out)

I am curious as to whether these cabins are good for Alaska sailings.   There is a balcony and two very large windows.   The windows might be very nice for views, especially if it is too cold on the balcony.  

It appears if the balconies might have slight obstruction from the ship's infrastructure.    Is that true?

Would this be a better balcony for scenery than the larger angled hump balconies?

Any insight would be appreciated.  🙂

I have only sailed on the M class ships and I am more familiar with their cabins and balconies.

We have sailed in the Solstice class Deck 8 FV cabins and to Alaska, but not both at the same time.

The windows are nice for the light they let in and for the quick views you can have to see what is going on and where you are going.  However their severe slanted angle, window grime, and the view of the large bow of the ship in your viewing foreground make it less attractive to use as a pure observation point to enjoy the Alaskan scenery.

If the obstruction you are worried about is the overhanging bridge wing, you should be fine.  The obstruction is worse up on Deck 8 and I never felt that it interfered with our view or photography.

On the other hand the Deck 7 FV balcony is significantly narrower (has less usable handrail space) because of the angled wall (see red arrow in photo).  That limits the location on where you can stand without the wall causing a problem.  However it is well sheltered from wind and rain.  In this case Deck 8 FV is significantly better as the angled solid balcony wall is extra railing space that a normal balcony cabin does not have.

On the other hand, your FV will be terrific for the extra space that it gives you if you are bringing your family.

B1193A30-589C-4897-B941-9DBD3E7C7712.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

Thank you both for your replies.   

How is the noise level with the FV cabins?

It is just my husband and I going on this cruise.  But, I do like the idea of the extra space with the FV.

The deck 8 FV are sold out or else I would chose one of those cabins.      

This is the balcony on the cabin (6237) we have reserved.   I will probably just stay with this cabin unless an 8th floor FV becomes available.   

451760061_wLvuQ-M.jpg&key=cac571dbc73f34fe8b178282b6cfda7aad3d741f6b78db1c4481274ee8bdad4e

Edited by AnnaNicole

41 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

Thank you both for your replies.   

How is the noise level with the FV cabins?

It is just my husband and I going on this cruise.  But, I do like the idea of the extra space with the FV.

The deck 8 FV are sold out or else I would chose one of those cabins.      

This is the balcony on the cabin (6237) we have reserved.   I will probably just stay with this cabin unless an 8th floor FV becomes available.   

Noise is subjective.  Noise occurs during port maneuvers--either pulling into or out of port.  There is some noise and vibration that will occur but it has never bothered us although it has bothered other people on Cruise Critic.  Dropping and raising the anchor at tender ports also generates noise although I am guessing that your Alaskan itinerary docks at all ports.

I am told (or I have read on Cruise Critic) that the noise appears to be worse on Deck 7 perhaps because it is one deck closer to the action and I believe that the cabins sit over a crew only area.  We have only been in a Deck 8 FV for the 5 S-class cruises that we have taken so I cannot tell you for sure if Deck 7 is worse.

I didn't understand your reference to 6237 because it is neither on Deck 7 nor is it an FV cabin.  Is this the hump cabin that you were also considering?

15 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I didn't understand your reference to 6237 because it is neither on Deck 7 nor is it an FV cabin.  Is this the hump cabin that you were also considering?

We reserved cabin 6237 (hump cabin); balcony pictured above.    We are considering switching to a FV cabin because the price is not much more.   The only FV cabins available at this time are on deck 7.   

But, I am wondering if we are better off with the bigger balcony vs the deck 7 FV cabin for an Alaska cruise because of the scenery.

Deck 8FV would provide both a nice balcony and a spacious room.   But they are not available.

Edited by AnnaNicole

55 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

We reserved cabin 6237 (hump cabin); balcony pictured above.    We are considering switching to a FV cabin because the price is not much more.   The only FV cabins available at this time are on deck 7.   

But, I am wondering if we are better off with the bigger balcony vs the deck 7 FV cabin for an Alaska cruise because of the scenery.

Deck 8FV would provide both a nice balcony and a spacious room.   But they are not available.

I see, that makes sense now.  If there is minimal price difference, I probably would vote for the FV (although I am biased) over 6237 esp since there are only two of you.  You will end up with more space than you know what to do with!

The windows are a nice extra over a normal balcony.  Also you are situated close to the Sky Observation Lounge which is very nice for an Alaskan cruise. 

Another nice advantage with the FVs is that they are isolated from the main hallway--there are few people that will be roaming that location of the hallway and when they walk by, they cannot see directly into the cabin, let alone the bedroom.

Besides the potential noise, the other disadvantages with the cabin layout:

1. There is one TV in the whole cabin and it is located in the living room.  There isn't one in the bedroom--if that is important.

2. There only two AC plugs in the cabin--located in the living room.  In other words there are no electrical plugs in the bedroom.

• Like 1

I forgot to add this.....

Here is a link to a review of a Solstice cruise that we took in Jan 2018.  We were in FV 8108.  There are some photos of the cabin and a floor plan.  Although FV 7107 is a little smaller, it will give you a better idea of what the cabin is like: Solstice FV 8108

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I forgot to add this.....

Here is a link to a review of a Solstice cruise that we took in Jan 2018.  We were in FV 8108.  There are some photos of the cabin and a floor plan.  Although FV 7107 is a little smaller, it will give you a better idea of what the cabin is like: Solstice FV 8108

Wow.  The stateroom is huge!   I might not cross paths with my husband the entire trip.   LOL.   

Thank you for sharing the pictures and the drawing.   

36 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

Thanks.    In consideration of the angled wall on the balcony -  Is there enough room on the deck 7FV balcony for two people sitting on the deck chairs to comfortably see the sights?

Judging by the photographs, it looks like to me that there is space for two people to be comfortably seated and have good views of the Alaskan scenery passing by......

And yes, the amount of floor space in the Solstice FV is amazing.  It's just a shame that the floor space wasn't put to better use with more furniture.  More furniture was added with each new S-class ship and by they got it right for Silhouette and Reflection.

• Like 1