Motion - Smaller (R and S) ships vs larger ships

knippsel

Having only been in OV cabins on the Zaandam, now deciding between an OV or a Vista Suite on the Maasdam (Deck 9 or 10). How is the motion up there - say compared to the motion on the higher decks on the larger ships like Oosterdam or Zuiderdam, where we've been quite comfortable higher up ?  Are the little ships as relatively stable as their larger sisters? We've happily sat in the Lido "round the Horn" on Zaandam, as well as on the larger ships with no ill effects. Would the Maasdam be relatively as stable?  Of course, there are always unforseen times of really rough seas, etc., but would be interested in others' observations. The dilemma:  OV for stability or Vista for the fresh, clean air. And yes, we do tend to spend time enjoying our cabin.

Thanks for any thoughts!

The Vista class ships like Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, are around 950 ft long.  The R class ships like Maasdam, & Rotterdam are 750 ft long.   That 200 less feet will not even be noticeable.  We've done many Trans-Atlantics on Maasdam and Rotterdam plus many on the Vista class ships, and we didn't notice any difference during 25 ft-30 ft seas in full forward cabins and aft balconies on deck 4,   Some pitching up and down, but no problems for us.  Sea sickness is 25% physical and 75% mental.   If you think about it and dwell on it, you get sick.  Unless you have some inner ear equilibrium issues.

Edited by TAD2005

33 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

The Vista class ships like Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, are around 950 ft long.  The R class ships like Maasdam, & Rotterdam are 750 ft long.   That 200 less feet will not even be noticeable.  We've done many Trans-Atlantics on Maasdam and Rotterdam plus many on the Vista class ships, and we didn't notice any difference during 25 ft-30 ft seas in full forward cabins and aft balconies on deck 4,   Some pitching up and down, but no problems for us.  Sea sickness is 25% physical and 75% mental.   If you think about it and dwell on it, you get sick.  Unless you have some inner ear equilibrium issues.

Maasdam is an S class ship, not an R. She's 719 feet long, so a bit shorter than the Rs and quite a bit shorter than the Vistas.

I don't think there will be a huge difference motion-wise between an OV and a suite on a higher deck. If motion is a concern, I'd probably be more worried about being situated far forward or perhaps less so at the stern. Our cabin of choice on Maasie is an OV towards the front on the Main Deck. I could feel motion but not horribly so. I am not particularly prone to mal de mer though. I'd go with whichever cabin makes you happiest.