Maasdam-A Deck

Babs1121

We have had cabin 709 on the A deck twice. The first cruise we had no noise problems. However, the second cruise the sound of the waves breaking against the ship sounded like cannon fire. But then again, cabin 709 is where the ship widens and we were going through a hurricane which, of course, should not be an issue with 768.

We've stayed on A deck but I can't remember the cabin number. Our section was not noisy but my in-laws were right over the gangway and every morning we were in port they were awakened by the gangway being lowered.

What you should do is cut out the layouts of the ship from the brochure and lay them over one another. This will give you an idea of what is right above you and right below you. You might have to make some guesses about certain things because they don't show everything on the layout but at least you can see if you're right under the disco or where the show is being held.

Hope this helps.

Hi: Thank you for your help..I have been hearing so many negative things about the Maasdam and I have been getting worried that this cruise will not be what I expected it to be. We have been on 4 other Holland America Cruises and have stayed on the lowest deck and never had a problem so I am hoping it will be the same with the Maasdam.

The Maasdam is a lovely, graceful ship. She is decorated beautifully and contains some of the most interesting antiques and artwork that I have seen yet on a ship at sea. The staff on board cannot do enough for you. We were on her at Christmas and had a wonderful cruise. Chances are that your cruise will also be wonderful.

As far as noise from the waves hitting the bow of the ship -- that is a possible issue on any ship in rough seas. No way to predict that.

Relax and enjoy -- you will have a great cruise.

We did A Deck last year and are doing it again this year. Last year my sister was in 738 and I was in 802 both portside and they were great, very quiet. I think 762 is an inside cabin, portside, and (as far as I can tell) it looks like maybe there is an area next to your cabin that perhaps the stewards use, but we're in 752 which is directly across from what is probably a "steward use" area, too. I'm just not that worried about it. My TA actually suggested a cabin on starboard side because she was worried there might be noise but she said she couldn't tell what that "white" space is on the ship diagram, it could be a blocked cabin for entertainers or steward use, but I can't imagine that it would be that noisy and I like portside, so I didn't want to switch. Anyway, I'm not in my room that much...

Archived