What to do in Tampa?

NCcruisin

We have a return flight booked at 7:00 pm!!! (it was about $200 cheaper per person) We have a group of 10, 6 adults and 4 kids ages 5-10yrs. My question is what can we do that is fun and uncomplicated in Tampa? One BIG issue is luggage. What do we do with it if we go somewhere? Since we have kids, we would like to have to carry around luggage as little as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated....:confused:

We have a return flight booked at 7:00 pm!!! (it was about $200 cheaper per person) We have a group of 10, 6 adults and 4 kids ages 5-10yrs. My question is what can we do that is fun and uncomplicated in Tampa? One BIG issue is luggage. What do we do with it if we go somewhere? Since we have kids, we would like to have to carry around luggage as little as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated....:confused:

They have restored trolleys there that go around the downtown area and to Ybor City. I loved them. Plus you can get little cardboard trolley replicas to take home (if they still have them). They're pretty inexpensive. I have pics of them... http://www.stormaster.com/Florida-2005/Tampa/

I even took a pic of the rates. Apparently I was camera-happy on that trip. :) We ate at the Spaghetti Warehouse in Ybor City. It was quite tasty.

Are you coming in this Saturday? If so, this is the weekend of the Gasparella. This is a really big deal here in Tampa. You would say, this is the Mardi Gras of Tampa. In various sights around downtown, there will be various stages set-up for bands, a giant party. The parade will be long over by the time you get in, unless you arrive in the morning. If you do, I advise you to find a spot on the street around downtown and enjoy the parade and catch yourself some beads and have some beers. Have fun.

NCcruisin,

You don't really say what date you will be coming back. If it happens to be this weekend watch out! Because our big Gasparilla Pirate Fest is coming to town. Our state fair is also coming up Feb. 9-20th.

Try this web site and you can log in your exact date

http://www.tampaguide.com/default.asp

If you have any energy left, Busch Gardens might be great fun. We have a season pass. You can do as much or as little as you like. Ride the thrill rides or scroll around the gardens.

MOSI, might be another neat thing to do.

http://www.mosi.org

I would think about taking a taxi to the airport and checking in your luggage and leaving again.

If it's a weekday, allow plenty of time to get back to the airport.

You could always be the last family to get off the boat, and kill a few hours at the Internation Mall.

http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com

Hope this helps, have a great trip! Weather in Tampa is wonderful right now!

You can only check your bags in at the airport 4 hours before your flight so there isnt much time left after doing this to see anything. I believe there is a place in Channelside (near the port) to leave bags if you want to do something in town, but I dont remember the name of it. Someone has also said the Florida Aquarium lets you check bags, but not sure how long they will keep them for you. I have sent them an email asking. You can check out their website at http://www.flaquarium.org for more info if you are interested.

Many airlines allow you to standby for free or a small charge and this might be an option if you just want to get home. Check with your airline about this if you cant decide what you want to do.

Sorry...I did not say that our return date is Thursday March 30. Thank you for all the GREAT ideas. My biggest concern is luggage...tadjr, if you do happen to find out the name/location of the place to drop luggage, please pass it along.

Have you thought about renting a car at the airport. You could just store your luggage in the car and go wherever you like. I found this information on the Tampa Airport web site.

"Which car rental companies are located at the airport?

Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz and Thrifty are located on the airport and do not require shuttle bus service to vehicles."

Ok, I also talked to someone at Port Services here locally in Tampa. She said as you get off the ship there are signs for Luggage Storage. She said just follow the sign and it will take you right to the department. You will only be able to store your Luggage until 4pm. The lady that I talked too was at Greyhound Shore Services 813-248-8004

Hope this helps.

Just departed a cruise in Tampa in December.

A clarification about the rental car idea- If you do a rental from the airport location, the rental shuttle will pick you up at the cruiseport for no extra charge, then you have a car(s) for the day, solving both your luggage storage and airport transportation problems. We used National, but I remember other rental shuttles at the cruiseport.

We also had time to kill, but not enough time for Busch, etc. so we ended up taking advantage of the car to take a short drive north to Tarpon Springs. This is a neat little seaport village, almost entirely Greek, and is the center of ths sponge fishing industry. Took a little cruise for $8 where they did a demo of hardhat sponge diving. Many junk shops, and tons of excellent but moderate Greek restaurants, some waterfront. Also had a chance to walk the beach at Clearwater on the way back.

I can't believe the lengths to which the people on this board will go to help someone out!!!! You guys have been VERY helpful. I did speak to the folks at the Florida Aquarium...they said they do have a place to store luggage and that they are "close" to the port. Has anyone been to the FL aquarium? how close is it? Is there enough things to do there to fill an afternoon? THANKS AGAIN

Yep, that's right! It's right outside the gate. Closer than the parking garage. My girls went with their uncle. I'll ask them when they get home. Ages 13-17. That would end up a lot cheaper! :D Plus, there is all kinds of outdoor shopping right there.

I can't believe the lengths to which the people on this board will go to help someone out!!!! You guys have been VERY helpful. I did speak to the folks at the Florida Aquarium...they said they do have a place to store luggage and that they are "close" to the port. Has anyone been to the FL aquarium? how close is it? Is there enough things to do there to fill an afternoon? THANKS AGAIN

I would absolutely recommend the Aquarium. It is fabulous, and all ages would enjoy it. I was actually disappointed the last time I cruised from Tampa that I didn't have enough time to go. And yes, it is literally right outside the door of the cruise terminal. Have fun!

Thanks for the info on the aquarium. We too need something to do when we return from our cruise before our late flight so this looks good! And thanks for letting us know about the AAA discount -- every little bit helps. This is a great board; everyone is so helpful! THANKS!:) :)

I would also suggest the aquarium. Be sure to have the kids wear their bathing suits off the boat under their clothes. There is a great water play area where they can have a blast while the adults can kick back and have something to eat or drink after you've gone through the exhibits.

someone

Archived