Coco Cay Thrill Park

jdl71115

We will be in Coco Cay the first weekend in August.  There are 4 of us going...DH, DD 12 and my MIL.  Well my sweet MIL rented a cabana in the Thrill Park area so we could all be together.  DH and DD will want to do the water park, she wants to just lay in the sun, and I'm the problem!  I am currently undergoing radiation for a brain tumor.  I am allowed to be outside as long as I wear a hat and I dont get chlorine on my head.  So I'm nervous about the whole day.  I know with the cabana I will have shade over my head and I just wont get my head in the water... we are stationed by the wave pool by what it looks like so I'm wondering is the wave pool super rough or is it a place that I could get in up to my waist and cool off?  Because it doesnt look like there is a regular pool in the Thrill Park area is that correct?

I know that my MIL really only got the cabana so I would have a place to be out of the sun...but I am worried I will just be sweltering in there! 

We were at Coco Cay at the end of June with our extended family and visited the waterpark. If you do a google search, you will find a You Tube video called "Perfect Day at Coco Cay Complete Waterpark Tour/ Review, All Slides, POV's + More" (approx. 45 minute video). At around the 32 minute mark, you can see a video of the Wave Pool, which should give you a better sense of if you will be able to cool off in this pool. You may be able to enjoy the shallow end; however if you have any balance issues, you may have difficulty when you go as deep as waist height. My husband found parts of the wave pool to be quite rough. 

My husband and I really enjoyed the lagoon pool. The water was not deep until you got into the middle of the pool, so there was plenty of area to walk around waist or chest deep. The swim up bar with stools was shaded and there were plenty of lounge chairs with umbrellas around the pool. You may want to spend some time at the water park and some time at the lagoon pool. 

I wish you well with your treatments and hope that your family has a great day at Coco Cay!

Edited by marys350

• 1 month later...

First, I would plan to go to Coco Cay early, stay awhile, but during the middle (hottest) part of the day go back to the ship to rest and cool off, then return again later.  Since RC now has a dock for the ship rather than using tenders as other private islands do, it will be relatively easy for you to come and go as needed.  It was nice of your m-i-l to rent the cabana, and I'm sure she will understand if you need to go back to the ship for a bit.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise and I wish you well with your treatments!