Seeing Bora Bora, Papeete, and Pago Pago with a scooter or folding wheelchair

GandG331

We're on the Golden Princess sailing from San Francisco to New Zealand on Sept. 28, 2019 and would like any recommendations those of you using scooters or folding wheelchairs have for on-shore activities specifically in Bora Bora, Papeete, and Pago Pago.  When I was more mobile, we generally skipped organized tours and headed out on our own via local transportation to beaches, museums, historical sites, and interesting neighborhoods.  I'm not sure how realistic that is now, although I can with some difficulty climb the steps onto a bus and my DH can wrangle the folded wheelchair onto a bus if it is not wheelchair accessible.  If cabs are big enough to carry a folded wheelchair that's a possibility, as is walking (and rolling for me) up to a mile or two from the port.  Thanks for any advice you can offer!

It was a long time ago and I really do not remember that much and no longer have name of contacts.. We booked a private tour in Bora Bora along with others on the Cruise Critic Roll Call. It included a boat ride to and from another small island, swimming with the sharks, and a pig roast. We secured both our scooters on the dock at Bora Bora and walked (Ruth used crutches) to the boat. As far as swimming with the sharks, Ruth did get into the water, but never let go of the ladder. I took a couple strokes in the water, regardless all my physical activities are limited. The pig roast was authentic and the food was excellent. Upon returning, our boat was docked further from our scooters, thus the crew assisted us. And yes, we found kids sitting on them. We use a bicycle chain and lock when ever we left our scooters anyplace..

We also stopped at a couple islands referred to as French Polynesia. Both places we just wandered around and saw what we could see. Yes, we were rather adventurous, regardless we looked out for each other and managed to go around the world before scooters were ever seen many places. Back then, most ships would allow the small scooters on their tenders, thus we were able to go ashore everywhere except Kiribati. Actually, only one tender went in to deliver things and then return. Extreme bad weather.

As far as getting around with a mobility scooter, I'm sure that you will find that people all over the world are wonderful. There was not much accessible ten years ago, but that did not stop us.

Hopefully, others with more current info will be able to offer you some information. For Ruth and I, the important factor was just transporting the scooters.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We went to French Polynesia this past March ( 2019). My adult daughter is a full time wheelchair user. Initially we were hesitant to do this trip but it was wonderful. We contracted with " Tracy- Unique Tahiti" for a tour around Tahiti. We were able to collapse the chair and put it in the back of her van. My husband and son were able to assist our daughter into the car. We went all around the island. Once back at the port, we walked around Papeete . Not perfect but doable. 

On Bora Bora- we contracted with LaPlage for a private boat tour . It was a covered  pontoon style boat and my daughter was able to roll right on. We then transferred her to a very comfortable sofa. They brought swim rings and she was able to get into the water. Wonderful day on the lagoon. A favorite excursion!

We  walked around the port area, again not perfect but doable.

The people were very kind and friendly.

We loved the trip ( went on HAL) and would love to do it again.