Traveling To/From Singapore with travel scooter or ETIHAD

Years ago, I boarded a plane in Singapore with a rollator, headed home with a transfer in Paris.  I was told I could not gate check my walker nor could I have it for the 4 hour layover in Paris!  The reason for the latter was security but I could not get better information of how having the walker that had already been on a plane was a security issue.  (I’ve been an ex-pat in Singapore, so I actually do understand that why does not “translate” well)

Ultimately, I was allowed to gate check the rollator and we came into the airport from the tarmac so my walker was nowhere to be found if indeed it was even boarded.  And you guessed it, it wasn’t at home either.  After 28 days the airlines replaced my walker,  a week later it showed up and was delivered but not in a condition that I could use it as the metal had gouges that caught on my clothes.  We do not know for sure where it was “found”.

All of this is to explain what I want to know about  my now travel scooter.  

1). How is it checked. 

2)  can I get it at a long stop over? 

3)  what else should I know?

Assuming I actually eat my scooter back I then am flying into Singapore

1) does anyone know how that process works?

2) if I can’t get it at the gate will it be in baggage claim or somewhere else?

when I worked in Singapore there was one terminal and it was not a easy to even check in regularly.  Since the new terminals I’ve only flown out of there and although checkin was easier rules about which planes could do gate check wasn’t clear.    For my closest trip I’m flying ETIHAD so I’m fortunately not going through Paris and I’m using a different airline too. 

Any help/advice from those who have experienced this airport or airline  with a mobility device would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak