Papua New Guinea Visa Requirements (Canadians)

Schooner-ca

Hello

Seriously considering a cruise that will have a couple of stops in Papua New Guinea. Does any have and information on visas.

We are seeing that as we are in-transit the ship looks after this, We are reaching out to the cruise line.

Second question  PNG is the reason we are taking this cruise segment. What was your impression. 

We like snorkeling and going to the local markets and bars.

We are not hard to please.

Many Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.papuanewguinea.travel/visa-customs-and-quarantine

Do I need a VISA to enter Papua New Guinea?

Unless you are Papua New Guinean citizen, you will need a valid Papua New Guinean visa to enter the country. Passport holders from the countries below can apply for a free tourist visa upon arrival in the country. (NOTICE: FROM 30 OCTOBER 2018 – 30 NOVEMBER 2018 VISA ON ARRIVAL WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE DUE TO THE APEC LEADER’S SUMMIT).

• All Pacific countries
  • All Western European countries
  • America & Canada
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • Israel

All other passport holders must apply for a visa before leaving home.

My experience is that the ship will take a copy of the front page of your passport and do all the paperwork for you. You just step off the ship with no fuss on arrival.

There is excellent snorkeling in PNG almost everywhere. The local markets are native markets. They sell local goods for the local people. Some of the fruits and vegetables are pretty exotic. Tourism in PNG is not a big thing, so tourists are not well catered for and need to be able to fend for themselves.

I'm not sure about bars. They are mostly in the hotels in the large towns and aren't the sort of places the locals favour.

PNG is probably in the contest with New Zealand for the greenest country on earth. In fact it's kind of like a tropical NZ, with huge mountains just coming out of the sea, volcanoes, beaches, etc, etc. But it is a third world country, the people are very poor and the towns are what you'd expect as a result. I would not travel alone in any of the towns. That said, most people are friendly and get friendlier the further you get from the built-up areas.