Spirit refurbishment rumours

KeithJenner

We just got off the Spirit, and there are a few rumours around about what will be happening when it goes into dry dock in January. I thought I would quickly summarise what I have found out.

Firstly, it is openly being stated that they are adding a couple of Teppanyaki tables, to take it up to three. I believe they will be using the room at the back of Shogun. On one occasion when we were told this, they said they were adding 3 tables, but I think this was a misunderstanding.

The other changes will apparently be significant, but the senior officer we were talking to wouldn’t tell us anything specific and said that things can still change.

There is a lot of speculation that Champagne Charlie’s will be turned into an o’Sheehans type place, which makes sense due to its location. I didn’t hear anything to confirm this, and I assume the shops on that level would need to be moved. It is my guess (and I have no confirmation) that something like this will happen.

There were quite a few people onboard in ports who were walking around the ship with what looked like plans. I’d have loved to have seen what was on those plans. Two specific places we saw them were Raffles Terrace and Blue Lagoon/Shanghai.

I think that it is agreed by many that something needs doing with Blue Lagoon, and if they add an o’Sheehans then it isn’t necessary. I suspect that the whole block containing Blue Lagoon, Shanghai, Henry’s Pub and maybe Le Bistro and the arcade will be stripped out and started again from scratch. The presence of people looking around the area suggests that this may be correct.

Finally, we were told by a staff member about plans for Raffles Terrace. I have no idea if this is correct (and he wasn’t necessarily someone who you would expect to know detailed plans), but he said that the kids pool was going and a big screen being added to create a Spice H2O type area. Also they will be building back from the buffet, at least on one side, to create a better La Trattoria (or other restaurant), rather than it being part of the buffet. Whilst the source of this may not be that reliable, I think it all sounds likely.

One of my favorite things about the spirit is sitting on the back at raffles and looking aft. Hate to think of the view being blocked by a giant screen. 

Glad we we get to experience the ship one more time before changes and yet also glad to hear they’re trying to make improvements as well. 

6 hours ago, Call_Me_Al said:

One of my favorite things about the spirit is sitting on the back at raffles and looking aft. Hate to think of the view being blocked by a giant screen. 

Glad we we get to experience the ship one more time before changes and yet also glad to hear they’re trying to make improvements as well. 

We love sitting there and always have breakfast on the seats out the back as well as the occasional lunch.

However, in the evening it is a wasted space. I can see the reasoning behind changing its usage so that it will become more of a venue for later in the day.

I do agree though that a big screen blocking the view could be an issue, especially if they build back from the buffet so access from the sides may be affected.