Overnight Stay Shanghai

Soptim

Hello,

we  are on the Westerdam at 10/26 for an China/Japan/Taiwan/Phillipins/Hongkong-Cruise.

The cruise starts on 10/26 with an Overnight Stay in Shanghai.

Do you ever had a First Night Overnight Stay? I have a lot of questions:

When will the muster drill be?

When is the all on board time?

The ship officially leaves Shanghai at 6 pm. I would like to know if it is possible to do some Excursions on that day (Self guided) 

Kind regards from Berlin/ Germany, Sophie

Edited by Soptim
Mistakes

You have booked a wonderful cruise.  We were on the Westerdam in Feb 2019 for 28 days with stops in China, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, and Hong Kong.  The cruise started with an overnight in Shanghai.  Muster drill was on the second day with all aboard at either 3:00 or 4:00.  Free buses from the ports to cities were provided in most ports including Shanghai.  It is an easy but long walk through the terminal to get to the free shuttles which run every 30 minutes between the port and the Bund.  These will likely will be available on the first day.  Cabs are also available at the ports.  You will have plenty of time to get off the ship both days.  Shanghai is a wonderful city to walk around and there are lots of sites to see including at night.

Enjoy!

We are looking forward to do this cruise and we are very exciting. 

Thank you for your answer - I expected the muster drill at the first afternoon/evening. 

If we have the drill at the 11/27 we have to be on board very early. 

Do you know if the area around the pier, I think it is the Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal is a nice area or a kind of industrial port?

We don´t want to do a ships excursion on that day.

Wusongkou terminal is not an industrial port.  You can walk out of the terminal and cross a bridge with sidewalks to where there is a crew building and hotel followed by an indoor street market that has some interesting street food.  I believe it is a residential area.  We like to walk and explore cities on our own and this area was plenty safe for us.  No need to do a ship shore excursion.  You can also take the shuttle bus to the city with the dropoff at the Bund.

Shanghai is a great city to visit with lots to see (take the very high speed Maglev train to the airport and back; incredible!) but please don't get off the beaten path! I conducted an investigation into a pax who, walking by himself in the Bund, was looking to get his prescription eyeglasses fixed. He was unable to find an optometrist and ran intro a local who offered to take him to one. Instead he wound up in a seedy/shady "establishment" in some back alley where he was the victim of a robbery by force or fear.

In addition, about nine of the ship's crew incl the Bosun, looking for "certain services" for cheap and at night, wound up being robbed, and some assaulted, when the "lady" suddenly left the room and was then replaced by several male individuals who demanded their wallets and wrist watches - you get what you pay for!

On a positive note, the HAL port agent and the local coppers from the Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó Gōng'ānbù / Ministry of Public Security of the People's Republic of China (MPS) were very helpful and drove some of those same crew members in the back seat of their patrol hooptee back to the establishment where they were robbed and arrested the bad guys responsible for the act