Just off the Carnival Magic

schittenden

On 8/25/2019 at 3:34 PM, schittenden said:

Don’t get me wrong. We had a good time. 

One thing that that I was hesitant to mention is that this cruise had a different clientele than what I have seen on Carnival’s longer cruises in the past. It was more like the experience I’ve had on short sailings. Loud, rude, etc. Near fights over the ice cream machine line. People cutting in front of others who had been waiting for crowded elevators. People getting into elevators without letting others off. Teenagers roaming the ship being loud and obnoxious, commenting on our gold VIFP status (who knows what they might have thought if they’d found that my seven-year old has a gold card too) and saying that I must be rich because I have a three-year old Apple Watch. Adults crawling over you to get to seats in the theater rather than walking down the aisle to get to the row they want to sit in. A drunk woman picking up her kid at the club while loudly proclaiming she needs to f*** someone in the presence of children. Then my son being hit in the club. I don’t know if that is a trend or if there was just something about the time of year, port, and itinerary that led to this crowd. If all of my Carnival cruises become like this, I will think harder about moving on to another line. For now, I’m willing to hope it was an aberration. 

I was on this same cruise and totally agree on the people.  It was very odd and not at all what I expected on the longer Southern Caribbean cruise.  It was very similar to the 4 and 5 day to Cozumel that I've been on several times.  Just a lot of rude people and I'm not in the least uptight.  

Great writeup! We will be doing this itinerary in April. Our late night is in Curacao, wish it were like yours at Aruba but we will make the most of it!

Yours is the second time Ive heard about having to be ready to debark at 6:30AM! I am not a morning person and hate to get up early on my vacations, then have to find something to do until we can check back into our motel. Not real convenient but oh well!

17 hours ago, dltvermont said:

Great writeup! We will be doing this itinerary in April. Our late night is in Curacao, wish it were like yours at Aruba but we will make the most of it!

Yours is the second time Ive heard about having to be ready to debark at 6:30AM! I am not a morning person and hate to get up early on my vacations, then have to find something to do until we can check back into our motel. Not real convenient but oh well!

We went to Aruba and then Curaçao as well. 

19 hours ago, brandibit said:

I was on this same cruise and totally agree on the people.  It was very odd and not at all what I expected on the longer Southern Caribbean cruise.  It was very similar to the 4 and 5 day to Cozumel that I've been on several times.  Just a lot of rude people and I'm not in the least uptight.  

I don’t consider myself uptight either. We’re pretty laid back and enjoy having a good time. It just struck me as different. 

On 8/28/2019 at 2:59 PM, rukkian said:

Thanks for the great writeup.  We have this same itinerary in March over spring break, so figuring the crowds will be about the same.

One question - you mentioned doing cucina del capitano for embarkation lunch.  Is it only open for lunch that day, or others?  Haven't been on Carnival since 1997 (our honeymoon), and have a group of 14 total going, so want to know what to plan.

It is open for lunch (at no charge) on all the sea days. I don’t remember whether it is open in port, but I think it might be closed. 

On 8/28/2019 at 3:33 PM, Countrygurl said:

Thank you for a great and honest review.  We sail the Magic in October and I'm super excited.  While I am a mom and grandmother and love kids, we typically cruise in October when school is in session.  This is our first Halloween cruise.  Can't wait!

Have a good time. Unfortunately, since our son started school, our ability to go off-season is more limited. We have yanked him out of school the last week of January when our schools typically have two half days and two days off. I figure no real learning is going on that week anyhow. 

On 8/28/2019 at 3:53 PM, havanadaydreaming said:

You gonna dress up? 

I've only been on one cruise over Halloween and it was tons of fun.  My wife dressed as Cruella De Ville and I mocked up a costume of a character I "played" when I worked at Walt Disney World 2 decades ago.  I was impressed most people got the jist of what I was doing, sans character head. 

Cruella de ville was on this cruise too! I don’t think she intentionally dressed up as her though. It was just her formal attire. 

25 minutes ago, schittenden said:

I don’t consider myself uptight either. We’re pretty laid back and enjoy having a good time. It just struck me as different. 

That is so weird about the whole watch thing. Like who does that?

and I can’t believe the mother at the kid club. Was her kid listening to this?

7 minutes ago, dulcemariamar said:

That is so weird about the whole watch thing. Like who does that?

and I can’t believe the mother at the kid club. Was her kid listening to this?

Clearly a kid who hadn’t been schooled in how to be polite. I don’t think he was being malicious. I just think he’d made it to 13 or 14 without anyone teaching him not to do that. 

My my wife did the pickup that night with our friends, so I wasn’t there. From what I understand, she was standing in the vestibule where you talk to the counselors during pickup. It is open from there to the entire half of camp ocean. She was not quiet about it. Had she been anywhere near sober, I’m sure she wouldn’t have said it or said it so loudly. She was the only one of her group of friends traveling with the kids. My wife’s speculation was that she had recently divorced and her friends went with her to “celebrate.”  Fortunately, late at night, only the younger side is open for pickup, so most of the kids would have been five and younger as opposed to the 6-11 group.