Curacao Christmas

fromaustin

We are on the Carnival Magic for our Christmas cruise.  We will be docked from 1:00 to 11:00 pm.  I understand that Curacao has beautiful Christmas decorations.  We have never been to this island, so I am trying to make a game plan of what our day will look like.  I would love to hit a west side beach for three or four hours, come back to the ship, eat, and then go out and look at the lights.  However, I am worried that this schedule is unrealistic.  So a few questions if anyone has advice of how to best go about our day.  

West side beaches - I am guessing we would need to rent a car and it is about an hour drive?  Would this be a good use of time/money or would we be better trying out a beach closer to port?

Christmas decor - How close is this to the cruise ship port?  Walking distance or do we need a car?  Also, how much time should we allocate to walking around and seeing the decorations?  

Recommendations for beaches that may be a little closer to the port if the west side beaches won't work?  I have two daughters, ages 9 and 10.  We all love to snorkel, but we would be fine just swimming in beautiful blue water and sticking our toes in soft sand.  

If we decide to skip the beach, would shopping be feasible on Christmas Day or would most stores be closed for the holiday? 

Thanks, in advance, if you can share any advice.  We will definitely hit up Curacao again on a future cruise, but it might be a few years since we are going to Disney next summer.  I feel like I want to do everything I can, but the date and time frame in port makes planning a little more challenging.  🙂

3 hours ago, fromaustin said:

We are on the Carnival Magic for our Christmas cruise.  We will be docked from 1:00 to 11:00 pm.  I understand that Curacao has beautiful Christmas decorations.  We have never been to this island, so I am trying to make a game plan of what our day will look like.  I would love to hit a west side beach for three or four hours, come back to the ship, eat, and then go out and look at the lights.  However, I am worried that this schedule is unrealistic.  So a few questions if anyone has advice of how to best go about our day.  

West side beaches - I am guessing we would need to rent a car and it is about an hour drive?  Would this be a good use of time/money or would we be better trying out a beach closer to port?

Christmas decor - How close is this to the cruise ship port?  Walking distance or do we need a car?  Also, how much time should we allocate to walking around and seeing the decorations?  

Recommendations for beaches that may be a little closer to the port if the west side beaches won't work?  I have two daughters, ages 9 and 10.  We all love to snorkel, but we would be fine just swimming in beautiful blue water and sticking our toes in soft sand.  

If we decide to skip the beach, would shopping be feasible on Christmas Day or would most stores be closed for the holiday? 

Thanks, in advance, if you can share any advice.  We will definitely hit up Curacao again on a future cruise, but it might be a few years since we are going to Disney next summer.  I feel like I want to do everything I can, but the date and time frame in port makes planning a little more challenging.  🙂

Ok first, the decor downtown will be in the Renaissance area, Rif Fort (right off the ship), Otrobanda on the Brionplein and the Queen Emma bridge has lights and in Punda normally in the Wilhelmina Wilhelmina Plein,  all within walking distance of the port (5 to 10 minutes depending on how fast you walk). The Christmas tree is normally on the Punda side right after you walk over the Queen Emma bridge. 

A few stores in Punda usually are open on a holiday when a ship is in port,  again historically from maybe 10 AM to 2 pm.

West side beaches are about an hour from port and unless you take a tour,  renting a car is your best option.

Mambo beach area is close to port but not like the West beaches with cliffs,  etc. but there are shops there (honestly not sure if those will be open on Christmas day).

Please keep in mind that our beaches will be crowded with not only cruise ship guests, but other tourists and locals as well.