Nuremberg to Budapest Lens Help Ideas

USMMAalum

I have Sony A7Rii wth 18mm and 55mm prime lenses.  Do I need a longer lens for the landscape photos available?  Or can I crop the 55mm photos?  

I could buy a telephoto lens or I could buy a Sony RX10iv.  I don't enjoy changing lenses for sensor spot reasons.  I don't need the extra weight; a lens or the RX10iv would be about same size and weight.  I am leaning toward the RX10iv.  I am happy if I don't need to have a telephoto lens.  I also don't mind having two cameras around my neck.  I also have iPhone Xs which has a sharp 10x zoom.  That might be enough.

For those who have made the river cruises, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Fred

11 hours ago, USMMAalum said:

I have Sony A7Rii wth 18mm and 55mm prime lenses.  Do I need a longer lens for the landscape photos available?  Or can I crop the 55mm photos?  

I could buy a telephoto lens or I could buy a Sony RX10iv.  I don't enjoy changing lenses for sensor spot reasons.  I don't need the extra weight; a lens or the RX10iv would be about same size and weight.  I am leaning toward the RX10iv.  I am happy if I don't need to have a telephoto lens.  I also don't mind having two cameras around my neck.  I also have iPhone Xs which has a sharp 10x zoom.  That might be enough.

For those who have made the river cruises, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Fred

The FE 24-105 f/4 is on my camera virtually all the time when we travel. Very sharp and covers 95% of my travel needs.

Dave

2 hours ago, USMMAalum said:

Thank you.  I had not even considered that lens.  

I did my usual OCD research before ordering it to go with my jump to the A7 series last year. It is a very respectable lens and has done what I asked it to do .

Article on my experience with it:  http://pptphoto.com/?page_id=177

Our last cruise which the 24-105 was responsible for about 85% of the shots. https://galleries.pptphoto.com/2019iland

Not a cheap lens but, "buy the best and cry once" is my favorite marketing slogan!

Dave

I've done travel with the 24-105 but I really prefer to switch between primes often. I wouldn't be too afraid of sensor dust -- yes, it will happen. But travel with a rocket blower. That takes care of 99% of dust 99% of the time. If you happen to get a stubborn speck of dust, you may just have to do some spot removal until you get home and a chance for a wet clean.

The nice thing about just using the 18mm and 55mm... it really makes the kit feel much lighter than the 24-105. And the 24-105 is nowhere near wide enough for me when I travel. I simply must have ultrawide when I'm traveling.

On a similar trip, here is how I did Paris:

https://enthusiastphotoblog.com/paris-vacation-photography/

Wow, I read your Paris blog and noted the website.  You did an amazing effort to recap everything from your journey.  I pack sensor cleaning equipment with me after a Europe trip with no computer and no idea sensor was blotched.  I am now thinking Zeiss Batis 135mm f2.8 for pictures taken from the river boat while cruising.  I would not carry it into town on excursions on this trip. I would have just the 55 on and the 18 standing by.  I used to have the 18 on all the time, but it became like a point and shoot.  I will always be learning.  THANK YOU so much for your detailed information.  Oh, and my wife says she is not a happy camper (buying another lens 🙂)    Fred  PS I ought to get a second A7R??, also...

When traveling, I try to make a habit of a quick blow with the rocket blower at least once per day, if I’ve been changing lenses.

while mirrorless is more prone to dust, the dust is also easier to spot. Just point your camera at the sky and stop down the aperture, any spots will show right up in the EVF. 

I rarely travel with any telephoto linger than 100mm. There are definitely shots I miss, but not enough shots to make the weight worthwhile. 

I did get some good images with my 24-105 but... it’s hard to articulate. Some lenses just have a way of making me smile. I often can’t objectively quantify the difference. I’ve been test shooting the 135/1.8 GM... and it’s been making me smile a lot. (Sadly I have to return it soon and can’t afford to buy it right now). My 12-24 often makes me smile. The 24-105 just doesn’t quite do that for me.