Eastern/Western??

So, We're getting ready to book a cruise in Sept/Oct 2006.

We're looking at the Navigator or Mariner and will be traveling with our 9 month old infant and extended family. We have two choices, Eastern or Western itineraries. We've done the Western route so we know the ports and will be able to determine what our baby girl can do or choose just to shop or not even get off the ship. We don't know the Eastern route ports. So here're the questions...

1) Do the eastern route ports (St. Maarten, St Thomas) have easily accessible shopping / other things to do immediately off the boat or near the pier?

2) The eastern route on the Mariner goes to Coco Cay. Do you think the waves will make it difficult to get the tenders, therefore we have a good chance of that being cancelled (this happened to us on the Sovereign)?

3) Do you recommend the Navigator or the Mariner just based on the ships?

4) Off topic but welcome--do you have tips for traveling with a 9 month old? =)))

In St Thomas there is a shopping area called the Havensight Mall right at the pier. You can take a taxi downtown to the main shopping area in Charlotte Amalie for $3 per person. In St Marten there are a few stores in the pier area. You can take the water taxi for a short ride downtown to the main shopping area for $5 per person per day.

My wife and I took the Sovereign of the Seas last year during the first week in September. The waters were really bad the first night as we went across the Straights of Florida. Hurricane Ophelia was just getting started as a Tropical depression. After the first night the week was great. The water was a little rough at Coco Cay, but we didn't have a problem with the tenders at all. Parasailing was a little difficult with a small boat on the rough water.

We've sailed on both Navigator and Mariner and I really couldn't choose a favorite between the two. I just checked with DH and he agrees... we loved them both! :)

Both St. Thomas and St. Marteen have shopping close to the port. In St. Thomas, you could take the tram (very short distance from the port) up to Paradise, where there is a beautiful view of the island.

I understand that it is pretty common for the water to be too rough to tender to Coco Cay. My sister was on Majesty in February and they weren't able to stop. I've sure read a lot of threads/reviews saying that has happened to them as well. It's not stopping DH and I from booking a cruise that stops there though! We'll just hope for the best. :)

Have a great cruise... you can't go wrong with the ships/itineraries you're looking at! :D

Archived