Just returned from the Pride of America 1/21 to 1/28

margaretmerrill

My sister and I went on this cruise because we liked the itenerary. We were sick of the cold and snow. I had read negative reviews, but still wanted to try it for myself as I knew my sister really wanted to see Hawaii. We aren`t much into sea days, so this was perfect for us. I have been on about 15 cruises, mostly Princess and Celebrity, so NCL was new to us. First of all the ship is really beautiful. We were stunned to get on and see the atrium, and we both said wow! Our cabin was 10648 and we had a nice balcony. Our room was bright and cheerful, but small and well laid out. I even asked if I could buy the bedspread! The beds were quite comfortable, and had a mattress pad under the sheets. We had a wonderful cabin attendent, named Teddy. He is Filipino but is an american citizen. He worked really hard for us. My sister, of course, wanted to take him home.

Now for the bad part. I have never had bad food before on a cruise. I wasn`t the only one who said that. I heard it repeatedly. Even after we got off, we met some people who had been on the Pride of Aloha, and they said the food and the service was bad.

The first night I had prime rib. It was almost raw and didn`t have much flavor. The second night I had lobster. It was 2 tiny tails, and tasted old and strong. I had creme brulee, but it wasn`t creamy and smooth like I have had before. The people who had steak said it was dry and tough. The baked alaska was a joke. They put a pancake on a plate, put on a scoop of icecream and topped it with whip cream. We finally gave up and started eating at the buffet, which was pretty good, and also, the Cadallac diner, which we liked too, especially their hamburgers. I think we went there 3 times. We didn`t sign up for any specialty restaurants, as I had wanted to see what the dining room served. By then it was too late. I think people who had been on before and knew about the food, jumped right in and signed up for the specialty restaurants. I heard nothing but good things about the specialty restaurants. We usually ate early in the skyline dining room, and didn`t have too much trouble with service in the dining room, although we heard other people saying they waited forever to be served. Breakfast was good, no matter where you ate on the ship. Our last night we went back and ate in the Slyline dining room again, and the service was terrible. I also heard that housekeeping didn`t always do their job in a timely fashion. We were just lucky to get Teddy. The entertainment was pretty mediocre, but they did have one comedian/juggler, who was very funny. His name was Barry John, just in case you are going. I doubt we will go on Norwegian again, which is a shame because the ship was so pretty. I can`t understand why they don`t improve the food in the dining room. They must hear the same comments over and over again. Sorry, I put the wrong date on my post,and can`t seem to fix it. We went 1/21/06 and returned 1/28/06

I can`t understand why they don`t improve the food in the dining room. They must hear the same comments over and over again. Sorry, I put the wrong date on my post,and can`t seem to fix it. We went 1/21/06 and returned 1/28/06

I had pretty much the same experience on my cruise. In fact, my lobster came out, literally, half-cooked! But I didn't complain and just ate the small portion of it that was actually cooked.

I found the menus rather limited, other than the "everyday" offerings. But, overall, I"d say the food was passable for a cruise ship, but if i was at Denny's, I'd be super-happy.

I would not damn the entire NCL line for this though. Every other NCL cruise I have been on has provided both food and service on par with RCL, HAL, etc. The NCL America line is a different animal, with different standards and, obviously, a different crew.

We also were on the same ship and toured with you and your sister, we are from Utah. We found the food really bad, the sheets were not changed once. We usually cruise on Princess and finally had to look at the POM as kind of like Motel 6. It gets you there but you need to know it is really casual and you can't expect to much. Hawaii was great. We loved the tours that we went on that was offered off the ship in the docks. They were about half price and we got great service and learned alot about the islands.

Usually food complaints don't grab my attention as food is so very subjective. But, with so many reporting of less than fine dining on the same ship, it does cause one to wonder about the quality of the product.

Hopefully, you each filled out the questionnaire at the end of the cruise, stating your dissatisfaction with the food and other services which were not up to the standards which you expected.

That is a shame. It would seem that with all of the complaints which have been on the boards, NCL certainly should be aware of customers being less than happy with the food. I understand that they do look here from time to time.

We did have good food and super steward/ess services on the Spirit in September.

Happy Cruising!!

Margaret -

Don't let the food or service on PoAm sour you to NCL. NCL and NCLA are two completely different animals.

I just came back from the Star and the food was quite good except for one meal in the main dining room.

The crew and staff were friendly, courteous and very professional.

PoAm is transportation, the Star (and I assume other vessels in her class) are lovely floating resorts.

I would jump right in there and schedule Little Italy for 2 different nights, and there is no extra charge. I`d probably go to the steak house too, but it depends on what you like. Try the cadillac diner too. Even though I didn`t particularly like the food in the dining room, we still had a great time, and I wouldn`t hesitate a minute to go back. The itenerary is great.

It was cloudy most of the time. It was never hot. It rained a lot in Hilo, but that`s usual for Hilo. The other places had clouds and some rain, but certainly not all day. It did rain coming back from hana, and also, they moved the Lauau in Lahaina, because of the rain. We had been walking around Lahaina that day and it was fine then. Kona started raining about the time we left. I think it was an OK time to go, but we didn`t get any suntans. We could have in Honolulu though.

The only ship tour we booked was the lauau. And we were glad we did it that way. It was quite a ways from where the ship docked, to over on the other side of the island, so getting there without a car would have been difficult. By the way, I have been to Lauaus before, but this was the best one. Otherwise, we just walked off the ship and scheduled tours with private operators, and it worked out great, and saved us a lot of money.

, the sheets were not changed once.

I find this a strange remark. I don't think any hotel or cruise line changes sheets if you are the occupier for the entire time. I know I don't change mine at home less than a week.

Sorry to point this out-I am not one of "those kinds" to knit pick.

I find this a strange remark. I don't think any hotel or cruise line changes sheets if you are the occupier for the entire time. I know I don't change mine at home less than a week.

Sorry to point this out-I am not one of "those kinds" to knit pick.

Also, if you really would like the sheets changed, simply tell your room steward.

Ours were changed mid-week on a 7 night cruise, and would have been more often if we had wanted, according to our steward.

He was super. (Spirit last Sept.)

(FYI - Many of us do change sheets more than once a week.)

Hi I'm on the April 9th sailing Find the food comments interesting...hopefully there will be improvements but I will not count on it. Guess this is good for weight-watchers.

Question: is there a "formal" night?? or Hawaiian formal?

Booked a cat AB Penthouse ....any comments ?

Thank you

I think the second night was lobster but I could be wrong. You can get it in any of the restaurants. I have already indicated I didn`t care for it. Probably not more than half of the people dressed up that same night. I don`t remember a Hawaiian night, but a lot of people, especially men, wore hawaiian shirts.

Archived