Port Canaveral questions

boatsmate

Hi All,

I am looking for information regarding Orlando/Sanford airport

1. is ther transportion to port Canaveral from this airport? (cruise

ships/lines)

2. if not is ther a van service (like Miami int airport) to the port?

3. Looking for information about how long to unload ship

etc. how is the port? and would you stay there or near the airport

for an early moring departure (0700) next day filght. (after cruise)

I am wondering because we now have a low cost carrier flying out of

Worcester Ma. airport to Orlando/Sanford airport and there are some great

cruises on Glory this summer. so we are trying to decide if the it is

worth saving the money with the lowcost carrier going out of the small

local airport vs traveling to Boston MA. (Logan airport) over an hour away.

any infor would be great. we are looking at going on the western carib

cruise Key West, Belize, Cozumel.

thanks

capt Bill <<< first time out of Port Canaveral, long tiem cruiser (23 and counting)

I live in Orlando and have flown out of the Sanford Orlando airport.

It is very small especially in comparison to Orlando International Airport. I did not see alot of Taxi or Van services but I am sure you can call or arrange a service to pick you put there.

I would recommend when flying back home to stay near that airport. There is alot of traffic in that area and the airport is a few miles from 1-4 (1-4 in it self is prone to accidents and traffic).

I have not left on a cruise from Port Canaveral yet, so I can not answer your question regarding the port.

Hope this helps:)

Bill,

I posted this info in your other thread with the same question:

I live in the Orlando area and actually was raised in Sanford. The Sanford Airport is about 20-25 miles north of the Orlando International Airport. Let me see if I can give you a little help ... although I might not be the best source of info on this since I just drive myself to the port.

LODGING:

There isn't very much lodging "near" (within about 3-5 miles) of the Sanford airport. With that said .. on your inbound flight I would suggest getting a hotel closer to the Port (Cocoa Beach). SInce you have the 0700 flight on the day after you return to Florida ... about the closest you could stay to the Sanford Airport is a town called Lake Mary. They have a number of hotels near I-4 in the Lake Mary area. This is about 8-10 miles from the airport and is a very simple drive.

TRANSPORTATION:

I have seen nothing about a port or cruise line sponsered shuttle from the Sanford Airport to Port Canaveral. Getting a Van service is a possibility. I do not know of a service by name out in that area tha will take you to the Port. A web search should give you information on this.

I know I see a lot of folks that rent cars for one-way travel from OIA to the Port. This is probably an option out of Sanford, too. Most posts say that the car rental is more affordable than the Van, Taxi, or Shuttle services. This would also give you freedom to move about before and after the cruise.

You could pick the car up in Sanford ... and turn it in in Port Canaveral prior to sailing. When you get back, pick up another car in Port Canaveral and turn it in at the airport the next morning.

The other poster is correct ... the airport is very nice.

Port Canaveral is fantastic ... very easy to get to from the Sanford Airport.

There are toll roads that will take you directly to the port. You get on right outside of the Sanford Airport ... head south for a while on the "Greenway" .... then get on the "BeachLine" East to the port and it is a straight shot from there. It is about a 1:15 to 1:30 hour drive from there and about (this is a guess) $5-$6 in tolls.

Anyway .. the port is modern, clean, and easy to find.

Hope this helps.

Archived