Physical Therapist onboard?

seadayfan

On 12/22/2019 at 5:45 PM, Kartgv said:

I've never seen or heard of one on any cruise we've been on - but they do often have acupuncture onboard.    The problem with that is, as mentioned above, what standards and training they have.    We've sat nearby in lounges when one or two of them were giving their sales pitches and the completely overblown claims they were making for their services was appalling.  

Your physical therapist at home can give you exercises to do on your own that will get you through until you get home.  It's easy to take along exercise bands, a simple pulley system that hooks over a door, etc. - there is much you can do to at least avoid losing any ground you've already gained.              

Thanks!  Wise answer. 

On 12/22/2019 at 6:34 PM, Floridiana said:

Hapag-Lloyd ships have a physical therapist on board. Their 'Europa 2' ship is international. According to a patient I spoke to, the physical therapist on board is much better than the one he had at home. It's a professional physical therapist not someone with some sort of massage training. No sales pitch.  

Good to know. Thanks!

On 12/23/2019 at 7:30 AM, clo said:

The real issue of course is compliance. A lot of us suck at it.

LOL!  So true...this is my second rotator cuff surgery and I'm promising myself I'll be more diligent this time. 

On 12/23/2019 at 12:36 PM, pacruise804 said:

Based on my limited amount of cruising (8 cruises) and limited PT experience, I'm reading that it's possible to continue therapy exercises on board but you wouldn't have access to a therapist.

Some ships have Thelasso (spelling?) pools and most have hot tubs and saunas.  The fitness centers also have various machines, and if you are using bands they pack light to travel.

I would double check what your therapist meant by on-board therapy and make sure you have what you need.  Prayers for a successful (and final) surgery with quick and complete healing 🙂 

Thank you!  Second rotator cuff surgery coming up soon and was just thinking how nice it'd be to be on a cruise ship part of the time.  I sure appreciate your prayers!  It's a very painful experience!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 11:37 AM, SRF said:

A trained and certified physical trainer can handle a lot of what a physical therapist does, if the PT gives some written guidelines.

The PT I use is actually located in my gym (separate companies), and when I had a trainer and did PT, many times, if the trainer was not busy, they would come over and join in.   

Most cruise ships have fitness centers/gyms, so your PT could develop at least a maintenance routine to do while you cruise.

Although, I have been through PT several times over the years, and find the modern "friendly" PT to be minimally effective.  Last time, they kicked me out, as I was pushing harder than they were.  There were in the mode of you did this last time, so do it again.  Where I am in, I will do more this time than last time.

Thank you!  Maybe towards the end of my PT I might be comfortable enough to do a cruise and use the gym, etc.  I appreciate your time answering me.