Cape Verde Islands "Musts" - Shore Excursion Operators?

Cruising Boomer

We will be visiting Sao Vincent and Sao Santiago on our cruise. I have not found other postings on the Cape Verde Islands. Anyone been there? Comments/ suggestions? I also have not been able to find any private tour operators for the islands. Any experience with private operators or will the ship excursions be our best option? Thanks for any info!!!

• 1 month later...

I have been there a few times, although admittedly a long time ago. Still I don't believe that a lot of cruise ships go there, and I would suspect the tourist infrastructure might be thin on the ground. We rode around in pickup trucks and flatbeds with picnic benches in the beds, and we brought our lifejackets from the ship for padding! Interesting places, though. You don't say who you're sailing with, and that might help with advice.

bgood

I was beginning to think no one would ever find my post!!! Thanks.

We are on the Rotterdam with Holland America. We are stopping at Mindelo (noon to 8pm) on Sao Vicent and Praia (7am to noon) on Sao Santiago.

I have checked the internet for private tour operators with no luck. Have you been to either of these islands. Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Cruising Boomer

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to find more info too. We stop there in Dec. on a trans Atlantic on Oceania's Insignia. The port of call is referred to as Porto Grande on Sao Vicente. There are no organized shore excursions. Oceania's website refers to "the amazing landscape here and on nearby Santo Antao" with its "lush and rugged landscapes and picturesque villages" On Sao Vicente there's a "stark but lovely lunar-like beach at Catfish Bay" As for food, there's "seafood and dishes with a unique Portuguese/African slant" These are probably quotes from some guidebook. Anyway, it should be interesting. Do they have pirates around there?:rolleyes:

Archived