Rhine water levels 2020 and similar topics

notamermaid

Time to look back at what happened on the Rhine as regards river cruising.

New ships were christened and sailed, either for a few months, or just a bit. Christenings were postponed, ships delayed by months of reduced working in the shipyards or they simply did not start sailing because of lack of customers due to travel bans - or even a ban on sailing as they operate as "hotels on water".

Cologne has emerged as the busiest river cruise port in Germany according to a study.

Emerging ports have had no or hardly any ships coming due to the current situation, existing ports have seen far fewer river cruise tourists.

The river itself gave us a steady amount of water, it was not consistently there for barge traffic but for river cruising this has been a good year as regards river levels. There were only a handful of days with flooding that led to no closure that I can recall (there were possibly a couple of half day partial closures that I do not remember) and low water in the Rhine gorge was almost non-existent. The level at Kaub fell close to or right to the 78cm mark on around ten days which is a mark to watch - and get nervous about - but it does not automatically stop the large ships sailing. There was not a single day that the figure fell so low that it clearly showed ships not being able to sail.

Now it is time for me to say thank you to all who have followed this thread during this strangest of years and contributed despite their lives being occupied by more pressing issues and thoughts.

I look forward to many of you joining in again next year in the new thread for 2021 which will hopefully be a happier one - both the year and the thread.

Talk to you then. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1