Cancel Tundra TOUR for SHUTTLE??

Cshell5

Before I was aware of the difference between a(Denali) Tundra Wilderness TOUR vs. a SHUTTLE, I booked the more costly Tundra TOUR. I can have a 100%refund and I see that the Shuttle tours are filling up quickly. The TOUR says on their web site that they will "On days when Denali (Mt. McKinley) is visible, it may be possible to travel to Stony Hill Overlook at mile 62".

My ? Do you think I should cancel the tour and reserve the shuttle????:confused:

ABSOLUTELY, why would you pay $90 when you can pay $35 to Fish Creek, and since you are probably not alone, the savings is significant.

You will have to pack your own food and drink. I never recommend the tours to independent travelers. Never.

Two days in a row can be a lot. I have done it and enjoyed it greatly. You may want to research what is available and if of greater interest? http://www.nps.gov/dena I would suggest however, if you have a car, to drive as far at they let you and spend some time. Last August, I enjoyed for an hour watching 3 bears down by the wash at Savage River. Binoculars were necessary, but greatly rewarding for me.

Two days in a row can be a lot. I have done it and enjoyed it greatly. You may want to research what is available and if of greater interest? www.nps.gov/dena I would suggest however, if you have a car, to drive as far at they let you and spend some time. Last August, I enjoyed for an hour watching 3 bears down by the wash at Savage River. Binoculars were necessary, but greatly rewarding for me.

I trust the cars can not go in as far as the shuttles? if this is the case, perhaps we will drive in the first day ( by car) then take the shuttle in the second day.

Thanks again

Where are the places to buy food to bring into Denali on the shuttle buses? Are there small grocery stores or places that make box lunches to purchase and bring with you around the entrance area of Denali? We will have a car to get to a store area and will be staying @ the McKinley Chalet.(Does the hotel make box lunches for you to take?)

I trust the cars can not go in as far as the shuttles? if this is the case, perhaps we will drive in the first day ( by car) then take the shuttle in the second day.

Thanks again

I thought you could not drive into Denali and that was why there were so many shuttle buses going. Is this incorrect?

I thought you could not drive into Denali and that was why there were so many shuttle buses going. Is this incorrect?

http://www.nps.gov/dena/pphtml/planyourvisit.html

states this:

The Denali Park Road is accessible by private vehicle for 14.8 miles to the Savage River bridge. To travel to destinations farther into the park,shuttle and tour bus services are available. Bicycles are permitted along the Park Road

Beyond the Savage River Check Station at Mile 15 of the park road, you’ll need to be on a bus, bicycle, or your own two feet. Shuttle buses travel to various destinations along the Denali Park Road, going as far as Kantishna at the road's western end.

My question is, if I drive in that far, can I get on a shuttle bus there? Or, do we have to start on a shuttle bus?

Another question or two is.. can we get off the bus at any time and wander? and get on it when it returns? Or, does one stay on the bus until it pauses for a refresher? The NPS GOV site is very vague as to the procedures.

Thanks

http://www.nps.gov/dena/pphtml/planyourvisit.html

states this:

The Denali Park Road is accessible by private vehicle for 14.8 miles to the Savage River bridge. To travel to destinations farther into the park,shuttle and tour bus services are available. Bicycles are permitted along the Park Road

Beyond the Savage River Check Station at Mile 15 of the park road, you’ll need to be on a bus, bicycle, or your own two feet. Shuttle buses travel to various destinations along the Denali Park Road, going as far as Kantishna at the road's western end.

My question is, if I drive in that far, can I get on a shuttle bus there? Or, do we have to start on a shuttle bus?

Another question or two is.. can we get off the bus at any time and wander? and get on it when it returns? Or, does one stay on the bus until it pauses for a refresher? The NPS GOV site is very vague as to the procedures.

Thanks

Yes you can get on the shuttle bus there, BUT it is a big advantage to board at the transportation center, since you are very likely to get better seats. I am always on the first bus out, so with my priority, I drive out to Savage River several times in the evening, never in the early am before my shuttle.

You can get off the BUS ANYWHERE on the Park Rd. , IF safe, no wildlife. When you are "done" you return to the road and take the NEXT available bus that has seats. Destinations are noted above the front window, Tour buses will not pick you up. Most people do remain with the same bus. If you get off the bus on the way OUT, and you want to continue OUT, you will only be picked up by a bus for as far as your ticket. Meaning, if you have a Fish Creek ticket, a Wonder Lake bus will not pick you up. BUT if you get out and do your hiking on the way BACK, ANY bus will pick you up.

Where are the places to buy food to bring into Denali on the shuttle buses? Are there small grocery stores or places that make box lunches to purchase and bring with you around the entrance area of Denali? We will have a car to get to a store area and will be staying @ the McKinley Chalet.(Does the hotel make box lunches for you to take?)

If you have a car, the last full grocery is Wasilla heading north, Fairbanks heading south. Some lodgings in the Denali Park area will sell you a box lunch. Subway is open 24/7. The transportation center- where you board the bus had a limited selection of food items. BUT verify this as there can be changes.

Archived