Cruising with a Simply-go POC

darstamp

I am taking an eastern Panama Canal cruise.  Many of the excursions involve beaches. My Simply-Go is on a cart but I can take it off the cart and carry it for short distances (it weighs about 12 lbs with batteries).  My concern is how to protect if from sand getting into it.  Especially walking on sidewalks that could have sand on them.  Any ideas?  Has anyone gone to a beach with this machine and what did you do?

Using any POC at the beach is tricky.   First, the heat. Most POC’s have a high end temperature shut off (overheat value).   Most are set between 95-96F.   Along with a humidity range.   So be aware of heat and humidity levels, and keep the unit shaded.   Second, the sand...all you can really do, is place the unit on some kind of mat so as it doesn’t directly sit in the sand.  A bamboo mat is an excellent choice for this.  You can’t block the intake or exhaust paths, so another screen would be of no use, and would allow unit to overheat more rapidly.   We have found that keeping the unit under an umbrella on a table is the best you can do.  We have found the higher the table or elevating object, the better for eliminating sand.  I would personally limit  beach contact,  however it is nice to have the freedom of a POC, so I hesitate to say don’t go to a beach.   With a bit of common sense (keeping it dry, out of direct sun, and off of direct sand), you should be ok for awhile.   Try asking the mfg for their suggestion as well as check the operating environment info in the operations book  (we have Inogen, and the suggestions I gave you is what we were told when we moved into our beachfront home here in FL)!  Unfortunately there is no sure fire way to keep sand out of the intake other than not expose your unit to sand!    You could make a lot of money if you came up with a design for this type of bag or coverall!!!!   We would buy one!!!!    Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!  I will monitor to see if anyone else comes up with ideas.   

Thanks for your comments.  I hadn't thought about the heat and humidity.  I'm going to check out those limitations with the manufacturer.  I will definitely take an umbrella with me.  I rented one of those shade clamshells on the private island but it doesn't have a table.  However, It does have an extra chair so I could put it on that.   Maybe I will have to cancel that and come up with another plan like sitting inside the bar. haha.

Certainly don’t want to discourage you from having a beach day, but did want to give you some things to think about.    And, yea, I think the bar is an excellent choice...why not split your time between the two!      Have fun!