Failure to make final payment - cancellation fee?

Albinroo

I booked a HAL cruise about a year ago for this coming April and it turns out we won't be going. The fare was pretty great but non-refundable, booked through the EU website. I figured the deposit was pretty low so it would be almost the same amount to lose that compared to a cancel for any reason policy, so I didn't get any insurance. 

So far so good, I am completely aware that I will lost the deposit fee but now when I received the final payment notice it seems that they will charge a cancellation fee on top of the deposit? So my question is, what happens if I don't make final payment, will they just cancel my booking and I lose the deposit? Compared to me actually calling to cancel and then they will charge me the much higher cancellation fee?

It's almost always better to contact them than take their default behavior, which is almost certainly not in your favor.

For example they may assume you don't want to cancel and still want to travel, thus "bill" you for the final payment. Then send it to collections when you don't pay it.

Call them, say you are scared of COVID19, ask if they transfer the deposit to a cruise next year? Don't say cancel, ask for Future cruise credit, or say change of date and ship of sailing.

Edited by mrmoviezombie
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 2:26 AM, mrmoviezombie said:

It's almost always better to contact them than take their default behavior, which is almost certainly not in your favor.

For example they may assume you don't want to cancel and still want to travel, thus "bill" you for the final payment. Then send it to collections when you don't pay it.

Call them, say you are scared of COVID19, ask if they transfer the deposit to a cruise next year? Don't say cancel, ask for Future cruise credit, or say change of date and ship of sailing.

Thanks very much for the advise. I am on hold now waiting to see if they will allow me to change to a later date this year - fingers crossed. If not, I'll cancel and pay the cancellation fee.