Silversea this summer; Silver Origin; Galapagos, Machu Picchu

cool cruiser 14107

20 minutes ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

Is it totally unrealistic to think that our trip to to Machu Picchu and Galapagos July 25 will be happening?   thanks!

As a quick, realistic response, July 25 as a re-start is being fairly optimistic.  Why?  If you read the details on the thread on this CC board of "SS Future Re-Open Plan: Timing, Testing Needs??!!", you will see some of the detailed specifics that came to me from Silversea's Americas head of their operations.  

The airlines are a long ways from returning to regular, normal flight schedules.  The testing outlined by this key SS executive are not available and easy to mail out, use, etc.  The Galapagos are not open, having no flights there as per a recent LA Times story, etc.  Yes, miracles sometimes happen, but there would have to be a huge amount of things to come together in just two months.  Doubt that will happen.  The check list for what is needed is fairly long and specific.  Plus, gaining CDC approvals and restoring customer confidence will not be quickly achieved.  Not trying to be negative, just realistic.  Good luck!!  We want to do the Galapagos and had it scheduled on the Silver Origin for late January 2021.  BUT, we have scrubbed and got a large chunk of payments back and avoid the financial risks for now.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 66,336 views:
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

52 minutes ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

and I looked for that article; I couldn't find it....is it available somewhere? thanks

Above is a link to where you should be able to connect with this thread on the Silversea board that has much info from Mark Conroy, the Silversea Managing Director for The Americas.  Does help you find it?  Any reactions and comments?  

Why did we cancel this Jan. 2021 Galapagos?  We had paid up in full for this cruise ten plus months ahead.  That's lots of cash.  OUR CASH!!??  If Royal Carib/Silversea went into bankruptcy/default, we did not want to risk losing thousands of dollars.  Yes, supposedly there are credit card and/or travel insurance protections.  BUT, when you dig deeper, those coverages are not quite as solid and iron-clad as you might hope.  That's why we cancelled and wanted OUR MONEY back to avoid any risks.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 49,372 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Ecuador has been hit hard by the virus with Guayaquil the epicentre of the outbreak.  Cruises have been blamed, of course. Currently all flights are grounded.  No tourist has stepped foot on Galapagos for seven weeks and the local economy has collapsed.  Some 30,000 people are unemployed.  There are also more than 100 Covid cases on the island and there is a Celebrity cruise ship with 50 crew members with the virus.

I would put the chances of a cruise in July as less than one percent and probably not until 2021.  Silver Origin is currently berthed near Rotterdam.  Waiting . . . waiting . . .  

Oh yes, the situation in Peru is basically the same story.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Thanks 1

thanks Terry in Ohio and Fletcher!

good to know; everyday since February I've been thinking this might not go; but now I'm pretty sure it won't.  : (

and they are just cancelling a little at a time I guess.

I didn't see these posts before; I guess you have to 'follow' proactively; you don't get automatic notices.

23 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Ecuador has been hit hard by the virus with Guayaquil the epicentre of the outbreak.  Cruises have been blamed, of course. Currently all flights are grounded.  No tourist has stepped foot on Galapagos for seven weeks and the local economy has collapsed.  Some 30,000 people are unemployed.  There are also more than 100 Covid cases on the island and there is a Celebrity cruise ship with 50 crew members with the virus.

Appreciate this excellent summary and follow-up by the experienced and savvy Fletcher.  From the Reuters newswire two days ago, they had this headline: “As Guayaquil stabilizes, Ecuador's capital braces for virus wave” with these highlights: “As the coronavirus outbreak in Ecuador’s largest city of Guayaquil begins to stabilize, the government is bracing for worsening spread in the highland capital Quito, where at least six people have died in the streets in the past month.  Guayaquil was at the center of one of Latin America’s worst outbreaks of the novel coronavirus in March and April. Cemeteries ran out of space and families stored relatives’ dead bodies in their homes or on the streets as the virus strained the health system’s capacity to collect them. But authorities’ attention is now turning to Quito, whose 2.8 million residents are under a strict lockdown to contain the virus’ spread.”

As I understand, the Silversea Galapagos Islands cruise would do pre- and post-cruise time in Quito.  Clearly with the virus hitting their capital so hard just now, things are not going to be back to "normal" in an upcoming, quick timing period.  

Full story at:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-ecuador-idUSKBN22R3BH

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,384

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

Just checked late this afternoon and saw on the Silversea website that now the earlier possible, maybe, if and if, summer sailing for the Galapagos Island would be Aug. 22, 2020.  Will kept checking back.  The ship seems from a report I read that the completion of the Silver Origin has progressed well.  BUT, SS is being honest to reflect that things will not be ready by July 2020.  

This below story link gives significant and interesting background as to how the Dutch shipyard in Holland completed this ship: 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/de-hoop-defies-odds-silver-origin-nears-delivery

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 230,058 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

2082901669_ScreenShot2020-05-19at5_29_01PM.thumb.png.958f3f2a1f80c28edd63687248000eae.png