Cruise Critic Review of Explorer - 2 Stars for Food?

joshkathy

We haven't sailed on any other Voyager class ships to compare but last May we were on Explorer with a group of ten (mix of first time cruisers and veterans) and no one complained about any of the food at all, and everyone had a great time. Food's very subjective, hard to generalize good or bad expecially for a whole week's worth of meals and snacks. The whole group plus a few more are getting back together to schedule another Explorer cruise for next year, so it must not have been that bad.

I was on the Explorer for the first time in January traveling with a group of family and friends. One of the couples was on their first cruise. The rest of us had been on several other cruises. Here were our observations:

Main Dining Room - we only ate dinner here. Our meals ranged from very good at the beginning of the cruise to just okay towards the end. A few entrees (veal parmigan) towards the end were a bit bland. A few nights, a couple of us ordered the "always available" steak and it was rated good. In light of the number of meals being prepared and served in this huge venue, I thought everything was acceptable.

Portofino's - we ate dinner here one night towards the end of the cruise. Food and service were exceptional. It's amazing the difference eating in a smaller, more intimate venue can make with food and service. Portions are very large and we left stuffed. The flourless chocolate cake was incredible. Honestly, I could have eaten here several times (even though the menu doesn't change) and wish we had gone sooner. We thought the additional $20/person service fee was well worth the money.

Windjammer - we ate breakfast and lunch here a few times towards the beginning of the cruise. I must say that overall we were disappointed with the food here. Add that to the significant crowds and searching for an open table and we started going elsewhere. Again, tastes are very subjective, so we found alternatives for breakfast and lunch.

Promenade Cafe - this little gem was great for a quick breakfast (pasteries and fruit) and lunch (excellent sandwiches, pizza slices, pasteries and fruit). This became one of two preferred alternatives to the Windjammer.

Johnny Rockets - a great alternative for a lunch or two. There is a cover charge, but the burgers, fries, onion rings and shakes were excellent. We found the burgers and fries to be far superior to those we found in the Windjammer.

If you're a "foodie," you'll definitely want to go the Portofino's. I'd suggest making a reservation for early in the cruise. That way, if you enjoy it, you'll have a chance to go back a second time.

We sailed in Dec 04 on the Explorer with another couple and followed again summer 05 on the Mariner by ourselves.. Both cruises were fun, all are. But the food was not as good as that we had been served on the Vision class ships. I think that larger number of preps for these bigger ships just don't do much for gourment dining. I have always said that the food is not 5 star but the service usually is. One asst. waiter couldn't speak English and usually returned requests with a smile, then a run to the waiter to come. Rhapsody, Legend and Grandeur all served better meals overall and I attribute it to the smaller number of preps, but the chefs could also be the reason.

A couple of changes I also noticed. Breakfast - those scrambled eggs are not very good. Too fake. Also, the larger ships did NOT have the bone-in hams with breakfast, only a boneless pit ham which is often drier and not as flavorable. Just recently the Rhapsody did not offer omelets and eggs to order; replied that vent-a-hood is needed in serving area to exhaust. Really missed that. Princess had a grill that prepared FRESH hamburgers, hot dogs and brats by the pool and at night was their steak house grill. Overall, we preferred meat offerings to the fish on board all ships, much to our disappointment. On the sea, of the sea.

Planning a cruise on the Radiance next year and hope for the best.

LRSkier

I was on the Explorer in November and thought the food was excellent. The only complaint I heard about the food was an older lady complaining that her bacon wasn't crispy enough...then when the waiter brought her a plate of crispy bacon she complained how he brought her too much :rolleyes:

We ate dinner in the dining room and usually had lunch and breakfast in the Windjammer.

My wife and I thought the food was great.... Lets see didnt have to cook didnt have to clean up and never got sick on anything I ate and I didnt have anything that I wouldnt eat again....Dont worry sit back relax and have a great trip

Archived