Recent Explorer Cruisers - Are they still doing Horse Racing?

I've heard that you can't necessarily count on the horse racing event being staged on your cruise, and I'm hoping that the Explorer isn't one of the ships that has done away with it. So are they still having it, and if so, which days do they do it?

I hope it's not during the Meet&Mingle.

We went prepared to buy a horse in April 2005 but they did not have horse racing...

I think it depends on the CD. Last year we sailed on Mariner (once) and Jewel of the Seas (twice) and they had horse auctions and races on all of them. Two years ago, the CD told us she was thinking of not holding the auction on our cruise because there had been very little passenger interest on the previous several cruises. We convinced her to hold this event and the six horses each sold for $400 and the winners of the Owners derby won a little more than $2400. On last year's transatlantic on the Jewel, I think horses went for as little as $50.:)

Back from MOS in jan and YES they did have it. One person bought 4 out of the 6 horses....but he was not the grand winner. The big purse took over $6,000. One of his horses he bought for 1500 i heard and the others went for under 500.

Archived